Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical dragster chassis id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c/h, Sep 21, 2018.

1. c/h

c/h
    from iowa

looking to see if anybody recognizes the builder of the chassis or maybe back yard build

Attached Files:

2. Nice project. Never ever, ever, ever would something like that turn up here.

3. bigolds

bigolds

It looks a lot like a DragMaster. A little bit like their dart model. A friend of mine has a DragMaster dart that looks similar.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

From the 60's era where everybody and their brother new a guy that would/could build a car. Nothing stands out as being a production piece. Take it as it is, clean it up, (paint and chrome)install a driveline, and show it off

bigolds, Johnny Gee and jnaki like this.

5. c/h

c/h
    from iowa

exactly what I was looking for .don't want name car cant put your own twist on it.

bigolds likes this.
  6. bigolds

bigolds

Same with mine...told it was a big name builder but can’t verify! It is what it is!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. c/h

c/h
    from iowa

well that deal fell thru looking for another project

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Guys,
    I would agree with dreracecar, even if it isn't the official Dart, refurbish it and enjoy some drag racing history. Still, that is a nice find, but it looks similar to an original Dragmaster Dart, with one tell-tale difference. Look at the straight, top roll bar angle attachment. The original Dragmaster Co. had many frames made and delivered to hot rodders/drag racers all over the USA in the early 60s. The original Dragmaster Dart was a one of a kind chassis, but was so popular that copies could have been made.
    upload_2018-9-23_5-11-28.png
    If you look at the top roll bar in the middle photo, that is the original Dragmaster Dart with a slightly curved, lower top rail, cockpit section. The orange photo braced it up for modern rules. The final double version complies with more rules and safety design for today’s dragfests, still with the definite curve in the lower top rails.

Jnaki

With 60 plus years of drag racing, hot rodding , backyard builds and research, there are similarities, but it is not the original. IMHO Besides, when you finish it, nothing sounds so nice, like a 671 supercharged SBC when you fire it up! In early 1960, our 671 SBC build gave us the "shivers" when we first fired it up in our 40 Willys Coupe. That in itself, is worth the time and energy it took to build the car.

So, regardless of what it is, clean it up, make sure it is safe, and enjoy the build.

Original 1959 Dragmaster 671 SBC SOUND added to my 1959 Lions film.