Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dragmaster Dragster Found Hanging On A Wall.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1947knuck, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Our plans for a painter fell apart, we discussed our options and decided my son John would paint it. Although he or I had never painted a car John has a new paint gun he'd bought years early and never used. We talked to several old time painters that told us both lacquer and enamel were used back then and it wasn't uncommon for some racers to paint their own cars in their garage. We set the frame on saw horses at our warehouse opened the garage door for ventilation and extra lighting, followed the mixing instructions for enamel then John sprayed some test panels to get a feel for painting. The frame was painted first, let dry for 24 hours then visually inspected for any corrections. It had some light areas that John went over and when finished it looked good. Painting a tube frame from all those angles was a trip but it turned out real nice. IMG_2194.JPG IMG_2195.JPG

2. rjones35

rjones35

Too cool!!

1947knuck likes this.
  3. been follow this build... looking great guys !

1947knuck likes this.
  4. "Painting a tube frame from all those angles was a trip but it turned out real nice."

Yep.... All that paint missing it's intended target....

5. christmas tree

christmas tree

As I remember as late as 1960 or so some of the budget cars would have a brush paint job on the chassis and and a lot of grey and red primer and sometimes a brush job on the body. My how times have changed. You guys are doing a super job on the Dragmaster

Spoggie, 1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Really good thread, it's nice you are doing this together. The history is worth as much as the car. I painted 2 dragster chassis in 1 day several years ago, a friends and mine. I thought my arm was going to fall off.

7. 1947knuck

1947knuck

With our excitement over how well the frame turned out it was time to paint the panels and John did them the same way on saw horses with the bay door opened. The Dragmaster dragsters that Dode and Jim raced were gold colored with a red stripe that had a pin stripe on each edge down the center of the top panel. Since our car was going back the original black and the top panel was not with the chassis when we got it we decided to have a similar stripe down ours to give it the Dragmaster look. John painted the underside of the three panels first and let them sit for a day, they looked good so he taped and covered the underside along with the heads of the Dzus fasteners. He painted the area of the top panel the lighter color first then the next day taped the stripe area off and painted the panels black. I'm happy that John did the paint instead of a painter it added to the restoration and we're real pleased with how well it all turned out. IMG_2214.JPG IMG_2211.JPG

8. Nice job on the paint.... Excellent color combination.

Spoggie, 1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  9. 1947knuck

1947knuck

With everything painted we assembled the car minus the body panels until we had the throttle, clutch pedal, battery and driveshaft housing cover installed, along with the on-off switch wired and checked. IMG_2197.JPG 17190374_1299006200179176_1398468183921890288_n.jpg

10. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I found this picture of a Hilborn pump with what looked liked the original fuel line. I called Hilborn and they told me this was the correct line and Redhorse Performance was the place to get the fuel line and fittings. I cleaned the new finish off the fittings to give them a natural finish and assembled the hoses. s-l1600 (2).jpg IMG_2205.JPG

11. Getting down to the short strokes. You'll be pushing off soon and making noise!!

12. 1947knuck

1947knuck

We installed the driveshaft shield, battery, clutch and throttle linkage, checked for any final adjustments then mounted the coils and secured the firewall. We have the slicks off to ease installing the bottom body panels. IMG_2202.JPG IMG_2207.JPG IMG_2209.JPG

13. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Nice, Real Nice!

1947knuck likes this.
  14. Really really nice.

1947knuck and hendelec like this.
  15. hendelec

hendelec

What are you going to use for Breathers? I don't see any but maybe I missed them..............

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. 1947knuck

1947knuck

When Dode built our engine he left the breather in the valley under the intake manifold that vents out the back of the block that we use. We also have a set of vintage Eelco breathers that are the same size as the one in this early picture at the end of the valve cover except ours are about a 45 degree angle. We're either going to mount them on the end of the valve covers like the one pictured or centered on the bottom side of the valve cover. What do you think? 969480_561421783918773_1537299397_n.jpg

17. christmas tree

christmas tree

What did you use for a clutch?

18. hendelec

hendelec

I would think they would work better on the front as shown, they might leak on the side. Under full throttle the oil would be moving to the back end of the valve covers!!!!!!!!!

19. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

What did you use to clean the fittings, I'm guessing they were painted? And what size lines are you running?

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

And when you pull the chute to stop all of the oil goes to the front and out the breather!!!!!!
    Highest point in the middle of the cover is the best place to install.
    I really like the swept-back headers from the original Dode Pic.

21. 1947knuck

1947knuck

We used an internally balanced steel flywheel 153 tooth 26lb. The pressure plate is 10.4" that is rated at just over 2500 lb's of clamping force, and a street/strip style clutch disc.

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 2 others like this.
  22. 1947knuck

1947knuck

The fittings as the came from REDHORSE PEFORMANCE had an anodized finish that resembled chrome. I used a real soft fine glass media to blast the fittings to their natural look, then used a wore out fine wire wheel to buff the newly cleaned look and dull it down, they came out alright. The size of the hose and fittings from the bottom of the Moon tank to the Enderle fuel filter/shutoff and up to the Hilborn pump is 08. The lines and fittings from the pump to the injector and the one back to the tank are 06.

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 3 others like this.
  23. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I had the header flanges as a starting point to build the exhaust before Jimmy gave these to us. I really like the swept-back look, they fit the build.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 2 others like this.
  24. christmas tree

christmas tree

I do not know if you intend to run any or smoke the tires but a single disc clutch most likely not get the job done.

loudbang likes this.
  25. 1947knuck

1947knuck

With everything in place and adjusted we installed the body panels. Check out how the top body panel fits around the steering shaft. John measured, marked and cut the hole before painting it, it came out perfect. IMG_2216.JPG IMG_2218.JPG

26. Fantastic build! Thanks for putting it on the H.A.M.B.

27. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

A Single disc clutch with be OK as long as your not trying to use it as a slipper clutch. We run a cheap single disc in a te440 with a blown small block. Works as long as you don't ride it. Car is looking fantastic, a really top notch restoration.

As soon as I got a race car, I never saw another hundred dollar bill.

28. christmas tree

christmas tree

Flathead Were you using direct drive?

29. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

Christmas tree you right. I just went back and realized the car in the thread is direct drive. Your correct a single disc is going to have a short life in this situation.

As soon as I got a race car, I never saw another hundred dollar bill.

Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  30. christmas tree

christmas tree

In the day we used dual disc lock up instantly clutchs to get the wheels spinning if you had the horse power to run direct drive. Slippers had not been invented yet.

loudbang likes this.