Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So we finally did it for real today...installed the body and bolted it solid at the lower mount points. We placed thin rubber body mount donuts left over from the Austin (which was sort of cool) between the body and chassis. We got the first look at the headers to see how we did...
    Resized_20180421_125702 (1).jpeg

20180421_130606.jpg

Resized_20180421_125720.jpeg
    We did pretty darn good if you ask me! LOL

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Like a glove, baby!

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since the body is on and she is standing on her own we rolled it outside and tried the seats etc. Everything fit like a glove. So we decided to reward ourselves by putting the roof in place. Actually it was more to answer a burning questions. Could I actually get in and out of this crazy thing with the roof in place!

Resized_20180421_152756.jpeg

Resized_20180421_152633.jpeg

Resized_20180421_152820.jpeg

Resized_20180421_152745.jpeg

Resized_20180421_152902.jpeg
    For the record, I was able to make it in. But to be honest, the view was much nicer from the outside...LOL!

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check these little jewels out. I was going through the parts boxes from '57 Triumph project (that will probably never be completed) and look what I found. To begin with I found the side curtains that went with the soft top. It will be a very easy fix to make them fit the Cobra hard top.

Resized_20180421_183950.jpeg
    But the coolest thing was this little jewel.

Resized_20180421_184018.jpeg

20180421_202012.jpg
    To be honest I am not sure that flip up gas cap even belonged to the Triumph. But it is a vintage British gas cap so close enough for me. AND FREE! LOL!!!

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Resized_20180421_153302.jpeg
    After finishing up the lower mount points etc. We installed the Shell Valley Cowl hoop.

20180421_184037.jpg

20180421_184054 (1).jpg
    We cut off the bottom 2" of the legs and flat bracket, obviously meant for mounting on "their" chassis etc. After getting it in place left to right and plumb etc. we tacked in support bars from the trans tunnel system up to hold it securely in place. We will also mount the outer legs with custom brackets to our outriggers. But for now it is in place an very solid. Just supporting the cowl area, along with the lower mounts really made things solid.

This cowl hoop is a mounting point for the windshield, dash, door hinge hardware and glove compartment etc. It will also have space chassis bars running from it, along the outer edge of the hood opening and attaching down to the chassis just in front of the front suspension.

Resized_20180421_153701.jpeg
    Notice the new left over sign text on the wall. LOL!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally here is the coolest thing that came from todays efforts. I mention I did manage to contort myself into this crazy outfit but not without some effort. After rolling back out of it...LMAO...I had a pretty cool idea. Strengthen the roof a bit and then use the same hidden hinge system from the doors etc. to hinge the roof in the middle. This would allow the roof to hinge open. You climb in, sit down, pull the roof down and latch it with convertible top locking mechanisms and go race.

When the roof is down, you would never know it was hinged. But it would be very easy to get in and certainly if you needed to get out in a hurry it would be crazy easy and fast!

ROOF.jpg

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. loudbang

loudbang

Hey you got one of those super rare "Split window" Cobra hardtops. :rolleyes:

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If you can do it and still have the ability to take the top off with some kind of quick connect fasteners when you want the full open air feel, I say go for it!

loudbang, enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course I know the split rear window is a mold support piece etc. until glass is installed but to be honest, I sort of like it. After we sat the top on and got to look at it, there was something about that split window that I really liked. Of course it can't stay but it does give the top a lot of strength especially in that center rear area which is what we are going to need if we hinge the hardtop!

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I have been scoring all kinds of cool little pieces from the Triumph TR3's parts boxes. Check out this killer pop in ashtray that fits the console just in front of the shifter like it is factory...lol

Perfect place for a hidden car charger or something.

20180423_101421.jpg 20180423_101431.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had a HAMBer drop in today for a visit while on the way to the FE Reunion in PA. So we uncovered the motor to show it off a bit and got to see the headers from the top side...looks pretty cool!

20180423_132619.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent the rest of the afternoon grinding on the inner hood skin. What a mess! But we finally got all the mold overlay cut down and then carefully (an 1/8" at a time) ground it to fit the hole.

20180423_142404.jpg 20180423_142408.jpg 20180423_165305.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well apparently the center dash consol on the Cobras were scewed a bit towards the driver. Probably to keep the gauges there easier to read etc. Not sure if I will leave it or not...it makes the cockpit look a bit off center with the way I built the tunnel etc.... 20180422_183026.jpg

chryslerfan55, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Could you move the gauge cluster to the left even further? I'm thinking --- if there's enough room --- you could have the right side of the bevel come down at the left side of the tunnel. Make sense?

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That HAMBer that dropped by was old Bones! We had a great time! And guys if you think the car looks good in the pics, you should see it up close! Again thanks for taking the time, Bones

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Had I know you were passing by I would have tried to swing down and said Hi.

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Man , I,didn’t know you were that close! Hope we can get together at the Meltdown Drags this year. Bones

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I don't think it's very far.......now Randal may think different. :D
    I will be at the Meltdown with my heap for sure.

20. 392

Killer build.

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I actually made some measurements and marks etc. to cut, expand to the right and glass in filler pieces etc. to simply make the console area wider and centered. That is until my "mentor" chimed in about the situation. You see I was just looking at the dash finally in place and thinking why in the wide world of sports would they have built such a small car and give the passenger extra room JUST to sit?!

But I was thinking from the wrong side of the pond! The ACE was a right hand drive car! With that being said, when they rolled off the boat awaiting a small block ford from Shelby there had been many modifications to accommodate it. But the one thing that was not addressed or changed in the engine swap was the dash. My body builder said something like, "They just assumed the stupid Amercians wouldn't notice!" LOL Apparently we didn't!

So I am going to leave it just the way it is and wait for someone at a show to complain or point out it is not centered! LMAO!!!

Peanut 1959, Sancho and loudbang like this.
  22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bones, I didn't mean to not mention who it was...LOL! I try not to advertise on the internet when I am home or not or others etc. You never know, if the right HAMBer knew you were out for a week he might slip over there and try to take your Mustang II for a joy ride! LMAO! But now that it is out, thanks for dropping by, it is always great to put a face with an Avatar, especially if the Avatar is from the H.A.M.B.! Have a safe trip.

Sancho and loudbang like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks, Randal, I knew that’s why you didn’t mention my name and I appreciate it. I too don’t advertise that I’m gone, but I don’t think I’ve put enough info out here for anyone to find my place back home and it’s well guarded with electronic surveillance. Good luck with your build and hope to see you at the races. Bones

Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well our next step is to install the windshield as that will answer the last few remaining questions for the body mounting etc. We opened the box last night to take a peak...

Resized_20180425_092349.jpeg

Resized_20180425_092442.jpeg
    There are two filled in slits on either side of the cowl (obviously from the original slits in the aluminum body mine was cast from). I am hoping if everything goes well tonight we can cut them open and the arms (in the lower photo) will just slide right in....any bets?!!! LOL

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Bolt them to the windshield and take measurement.

Deuced Up!, loudbang and Sancho like this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There WILL BE minor (or more) fiberglass work to do anyway right?
    Do your best to get them in the right place but don't sweat it if it's off a little or the hole is too big, its fiberglass!

enloe likes this.
  27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I am definitely going to build a flip up hard top for sure. I have already created the center hinge.

Resized_20180423_175249(1).jpeg

That is made from 1/4" steel plate. It has 5/8" steel bar in there, this side is already finished out welded and ground smooth so you can not see where the center bar was. I am building a really nice flat wing shaped base for it to sit on and an matching mount point on the back of the top. They will have hidden bolts in them so you will see no fasteners from the outside. But under the car and on the inside of the top we will put plate steel to give it good integrity.

20180425_094503.jpg

Then inside the top just behind the side window area we will put lift supports. I have ordered 60s Corvette hardtop latches etc. to lock the top down at the front. So when you unlatch the roof, the supports will allow it lift, actually push it up and hold it etc. Then when you get in, simply pulled the roof down and latch it and you are ready to roll. We are going to glass in some steel supports on the inside of the roof as well.

loudbang, enloe, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Randal
    I always laughed at some of those little notes racers put on the dashboard.
    Remember those flustered moments in the Austin?
    Your note should read "latch the roof":confused:.

tonkadawg and Sancho like this.
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually it should say "Make sure all warehouse doors are locked!"

30. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

How about Lexan attached to the outside of the roof to keep the "split window"?
    SPark