Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Lol! OMG!
    You just had me literally laughing out loud!!!
    Wife thought ild lost it!
    Took me 5 minutes to calm down enough to explain it to her!
    You sir, just made my day!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So with the better part of the day left yesterday after getting the Riviera off the jackstand, we decided to work on the Cobra. Since the lift is still out of commission, we put it up on jackstands high enough to safely get under it with enough room to manuever a bit.

20210331_190934.jpg
    I had excellent room to get to all of the pan bolts and quickly removed them. The pan dropped easily down on the chassis cross bar. However, it was immediately apparent that was as far as it was going. I really thought we would be able to manuever it around a bit and get it out but know go. So I put a couple bolts back in it and broke out the sawsall. I cut the cross bar leaving about 3" of it on either side. We fabricate some plates so we can "bolt" the cross member back in place.

Regardless, we got the pan down and of course found a few metal flakes hanging about. We removed the windage tray and completely drained it. I removed the oil pump to have a good lock. We dissassembled it to have a look at the inner and rotor outer gears or rotors.

Resized_20210331_124224.jpeg
    As you can see the housing where the outer gear turns obviously had a few pieces get in there but nothing at all in the pump when we took apart. The inner gear and inner area of the out gear where all the oil is pumped did not have a mark any where on them. So super cleaned the pump, oiled it up with Pengrade, reassembled it and reinstalled it.

Resized_20210331_150939 (1).jpeg
    Before reinstalling the oil pan I took a photo to document to myself that the stupid oil pump shaft is in place. LOL. I have done that before! The shaft is a high performance ARP brand. We inspected it very closely to make sure it was straight and not twisted at all etc. It was in perfect shape.

Resized_20210331_142741.jpeg
    We took all the oil lines, remoted oil apparatus, oil pan and pick up tube etc. to the car wash and cleaned the living daylight out of all of them. Then came back and dried them completely with high pressure air etc. Just before reinstalling it all, we went ahead and pulled a couple rod caps just to have a look at the bearings. The ones we looked at were in good shape, so we decided to move forward.

20210401_201533.jpg

It went back together with reletively no issues. We filled it with 6 quarts of Pengrad 20/50 and popped a new Wix Racing filter on it. Speaking of filter, we did cut the old wix filter apart to have a peak.

Now we are just waiting on the composit distributor gear to arrive and we are ready to go again!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    warbird1, Tickety Boo, Sancho and 8 others like this.
  3. Deuced Up!, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  4. AmishMike

AmishMike

Knew a guy years ago would drain oil then dump in kerosine, remove distributor & spin oil pump to flush all lines & wash dirt into oil pan for draining. This on SBC & seemed to work. I never tried it & do not know if helped but sort of makes sense - maybe???? Only mention for consideration or others to comment.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did you prime it up?

Deuced Up!, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nice to see there were no big parts in the filter or pan.

Deuced Up!, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a lurker pm me yesterday (you know who you are)(LOL) asking how I chose the Hoosier D06 Compound and why. Well that is a very good question. As far as I can tell the entire Hoosier compound number system is a big internet mystery. Maybe it is because Hoosier feels like if they try to explain the differences it might make someone accidentally purchase the wrong slick. So of course by saying nothing, a person still might snag the wrong tire but Hoosier will not be directly at fault. LMAO!

I tore up the internet when I was trying to purchase a set for the Austin. Here is what after an exhausted search I decided. The D in the number is for bias ply. I was not interested in the whole drag radial gig which it appears to me have a C in their compound description. You can find a chart from Hoosier which simply list all the compound numbers from left to right and indicates you are looking left to right softest compound to hardest.

hoosier.jpg
    Now this chart straight from Hoosier is extremely helpful (not). There are the D05, D06 and D07. It is obvious the D05 is softest and D07 is the firmest of the 3. However you would think the D06 would be in the middle, but it is not. It is actually a bit closer to the D07 so I assume, according to the chart that it is just a bit more than 50% firmer than the D05, may around 64% or so. Now on the top line the C07 radial is right there with D07 which one might assume, however, the C06 is so close to the C07 that I can't imagine there could be much of a difference between the two. The the C09 has dropped down on the Bias Ply line and is according to the chart quite a bit firmer than the C11 which seems to toss the entire number system of higher number firmer tire in to question.

And the what the hell is N/TF? NOT TOO FIRM? No idea but I like it... Maybe Hoosier could just go that direction with compound discriptions. S/OF - Sort of Soft, K/OFBNTF - Kind of Soft But Not To Firm, N/TFBNTS - Not To Firm But Not To Soft, Well laugh it up because that would make just about as much since as what I can gleam from their current system on the internet!

Here is what I know from experience regardless of the labels. The Heavier the Car and Higher the Horsepower, the Harder the slick and then take if from their. High horspower and Heavy car gets a hard slick, High horsepower and lighter car, you can soften the slick a bit, Stick cars like stiffer sidewalls but again dependent on the weight of the car, and about 1500 other questions or combinations of width, height, and brand. On the Austin, I went in the middle with D06...being it was high horspower and fairly light car, around 3,000 lbs. I was really happy with the hook with a manual, they always seemed to give the right amount of spin off the line and with no tubes we had no issues on the big end through 150 mph plus.

Hoosiers.jpg
    So I figured if it is not broken why fix it. We do not have as much horsepower as the Austin but we are quite a bit lighter etc. So that is how and why I went with D06 again. AND to be honest the only way to be totally for sure is mount'em and light'em! We shall see. Or you could just call Hoosier...LOL!

Tickety Boo, Sancho, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Perhaps the N/TF is for nostalgia top fuel? Then again with the clarity of their chart it could mean no taco farts.

Nicholas Coe, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Not/To Fast ? Isn't that another way of saying GM/ Powered? ;);) Hi James!! lol Larry

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone asked if me if we completed the Hot Rod 100 Reliability Run Saturday. I had mentioned we have been thrashing to get my daughter's Riviera ready.

Yes, we made it. No problems. The old car ran as smooth as silk and Zoe drove it all the way. First outing for the car in 30 years and first time She has ever driven it.

20210403_085441.jpeg

I wasn't going to post a photo because I know it is a bit off topic but what the hell! I am really proud of her. She has worked really hard helping to get the car road ready. It's not like it's a tuner car or something lol.

That is Dad's coupe lined up behind her and I went co-pilot. Around 250 cars made the trip, easily 90 percent of them were '64 and back. We had a blast!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, warbird1, blowby and 16 others like this.
  11. Lemme guess, she got the boss (your wife) involved in the discussion about driving, didn’t she.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuced Up!, Sancho and loudbang like this.
  12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

We admired the roof wrap on our walk by to breakfast. It was really cool to work out the puzzle of what the images had in common. Nice job!

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope I told her it was her car, she had to drive it. No wife here, why do you think we have so many cool toys. Lol

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Brand Apart, Sancho, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So did figure out they were all things that happened in 1970? ...and you thought 2020 was crazy!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Sancho, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yup.

They tell me I lived through 1970, but I don't recall it. I'm thinking it was for the best.:D

16. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

1970 was a great year! By then we had Easyrider, Born to be Wild and In A Godda Da Vida!:rolleyes: In 71 I got my License and by 72 we where asking where were you in 62! ;);) World has been going to hell ever since! lol Larry

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think they spray paint those on there...

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slicks came in today. Mounting them tomorrow and then declorinated brake clean takes it off. It works well, Dad's issue on the Austin was he did it with the tires on the car while on the rack. Lol

19. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida....wasn't that song used as a torture device to get information from prisoners? Now banned for being cruel and unusual punishment.;)

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

1970, the day the music died, or, the last year Chevy engines had real compression.
    1971, well, we did get American Pie by Don McLean at least!

Deuced Up!, Nostrebor, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

So Randall what your saying is Friday night test and tune at mokan to see this thing in action

Chrome don’t get ya home

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Don't make me take my little red tool box. ;)
    Larry, you better get off the couch and on the treadmill, make it easier for you to catch your breath. :D

23. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Your gonna need the Ford standard issue, big blue roller tool box Salty :p

24. Man, I should have known you would be there considering where you live. I may have even talked to you and didn't know it... I was one of the goofballs at the registration desk... Hope to meet you in person sometime (if I haven't already). :rolleyes: I even stay in Republic with Jimmy and Chic. :D

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt that quick! I have all the parts now but have no idea how I did any of this a year or more ago. Lol. Must be getting old! I have to figure how and what we did when we set tge time the go round.

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I got the slicks mounted today, man I love tires!

20210407_171909.jpeg

I am pretty excited about them. Quite a bit of difference between them and M&H Dragster they replaced.

20210407_171855.jpeg

And...if I say so myself...they look totally badass on the car.

20210407_172042.jpeg

Just for all of you wondering about removing the white letters...a little non-clorinatex brake cleaner and small brush and it comes right off. We spent less than five minutes on these white letters.

Easy breezy.

20210407_194456.jpeg

enloe, Peanut 1959, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

That girl just jumps right in and gets it done! Must take after Grandpa!;) Hurry up and get this thing back together , Jackson's getting anxious ! lol Larry

loudbang, Thor1, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Larry I’m currently waiting on parts to fix my transmission so I’m not in that big of hurry but I want to see this car run well and will help him get it running good because I want no excuses when all he sees is my tailights lol But seriously I think this car will run very well

Chrome don’t get ya home

29. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

loudbang likes this.