Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag Roadsters............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jun 7, 2009.

1. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Another B & W backed street roadster but that is about all I can help you with.

Roo

2. rooman

rooman

"Gabby Young at Pomona"
    [​IMG]
    Definitely not at Pomona as I doubt that there is this much grass anywhere in the Fairplex. More likely somewhere in the midwest for this Ohio based car that was still in the hands of the same family as recently as 2013.

Roo

EVL401, neverdun, 1947knuck and 3 others like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

pickup at pomona.JPG

Somewhere at a dragstrip

Plain Vanilla Charley Smith

plain vanilla charly smith.JPG

pomona 63 a.JPG

pomona 63.JPG

4. rooman

rooman

"Plain Vanilla Charley Smith"
    [​IMG]

Even though the caption on the quartermile classics page spells it as above he went by Charlie. The fact that the car is running A/SR is indicative of the fact that Charlie (and twin brother Frank) were proponents of stroker cranks and this car most likely had the same Crankshaft Co 3/4" arm as the Plain Vanilla A/A 23 T that took Charlie to the NHRA "hots" world championship in 1963. I have never seen Charlie's name associated with an /SR class car and am guessing that it is his motor in a friend's car at the 63 Winternationals. Cobb's Auto sponsored the altered and Charlie's race number on the T was 461 so that seems to indicate that the caption is correct apart from the spelling.

Roo

5. When this car first appeared at the '63 Winternationals, no one knew Larry Minor. The Potato Farmer from Hemet would later become a feared Top Fuel owner with Ed "The Ace" driving for him. But this B/SR was not a winner this time out. I was able to put him on the trailer.

[​IMG]

6. Later, the same day, I raced Charlie Smith in the Cobb Automotive A/SR for Street Eliminator. There was no tree in '63, so no handicap starts. I was running 11.60,s and Charlie's big stroker was running 11.20's. I got him pretty good at the start, but couldn't hold off the big motor's top end charge.

7. loudbang

loudbang

FE powered

fe power.JPG

Hot Chocolate II

hot chocolate II.JPG

EVL401, 1947knuck, hendelec and 4 others like this.
  8. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

The photo is from Oklahoma City, Willow Run Raceway to be specific. IIRC the first "Hot Chocolate" was Topolino bodied.

Roo

9. loudbang

loudbang

10. loudbang

loudbang

All the same car

trunk of roadster.JPG

trunk of roadster 1.JPG
    trunk of roadster 2 pipes.JPG

trunk of roadster 3 pipes.JPG

trunk of roadster 4.JPG

trunk of roadster 5 pipes.JPG

trunk of roadster 6.JPG

trunk of roadster 7.JPG

trunk of roadster 8.JPG

EVL401, 1947knuck, HunterYJ and 5 others like this.
  11. nice stuff today........

loudbang and hendelec like this.
  12. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Photos of this car have been posted so many times that everyone should already know that it is Tony Waters DeSoto powered roadster that was runner up to Chrisman's dragster at the initial March Meet in 1959. Tony left this world in December of 2012.

Roo

EVL401, 296ardun, jnaki and 4 others like this.
  13. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    A Bob Gewertz photo from Nor-Cal but I can't tell you anything about the car apart from what is obvious.

Roo

14. loudbang

loudbang

Champion Speed Shop Square roll bar

champion speed shop roll bar.JPG

Haire Ranches

haire ranches.JPG

1/2 & 1/2

half and half.JPG

Supercharged Ardun

paxon ardun.JPG

EVL401, 1947knuck, HunterYJ and 4 others like this.
  15. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looks like the same car at two different stages of its life with the newer version appearing to have an Algon injector hat atop the blower. Again the evidence points to Nor-Cal cars and Bob Gewertz images.

Roo

16. Scotty's Muffler Service out of San Bernardino, Ca. Driven by Cub Barnett.

[​IMG]

EVL401, enloe, Bowtie Coupe and 3 others like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

18. rooman

rooman

EVL401 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-1-28_8-12-1.png
    Hello,
    That white roadster was the epitome of show quality roadsters that did their own thing. While most everyone was using SBC or Hemi motors, up pops this Ardun Head roadster at the drags. We drove many miles to Riverside Raceway in 1959 to see this roadster on the day of the East vs West drag race meet. It was a surprise to see other race cars there as it was advertised as FED race cars from the East challenging race cars from the West. It was a nice surprise to see this roadster in person.

Jnaki
    The Scotty's Muffler roadster ran at other So Cal drag strips, but this is the only movie clip we have of the roadster from 1959. It was a fun day at the Riverside Raceway from early morning to late in the afternoon. A result was a couple of tired teenagers with smiles on their faces all the way back to Long Beach.

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. The first 195AH using Don Argee's 1932 roadster with the team's first Hemi ...is this maybe Lodi about 57 or 58? Not they might have lost that bottom end......
    first 195ah good_0001.jpg first 195ah good_0002.jpg

22. loudbang

loudbang

5.JPG

Not sure what to make of this one? Coupe or roadster

coupe or road.........JPG

Road Knights

road knights.JPG

1947knuck, enloe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  23. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    A Luke Wallace photo from Castlereagh drag strip near Sydney, Australia. I would guess that the photo is from around 1966/7 or so. I thought that this might have been John Hogan's car but a bit of research revealed that my memory is suspect as his car was a bucket style body. The Road Knights club is still active in the Sydney area.

Roo

deadbeat, enloe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  24. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Thanks to my mate Marty Strode we know that this 1962 photo is of Bob Duedall out of Albany, OR in the Duedell and (Ed) Marrs B/Comp coupe. The 1961 K-88 chassis car survived to be restored by Jim Lindsay and is currently on display in the World of Speed museum in Oregon.

Roo

25. loudbang

loudbang

26. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Tony Waters' DeSoto powered car again and it looks like the photo is from Bakersfield.

Roo

1947knuck, Dean Lowe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  27. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    From beatnik's post on the very first page of this thread way back in 2009 but still unidentified.

Roo

1947knuck and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

29. Holly Hedrich's roadster. A beautiful car worthy of show awards. All the right stuff, including a Keith Black fuel hemi. Only one problem, it never went straight. I guess Holly didn't know what Red Greth and Lyle Fisher knew.

30. rooman

rooman

Holly stared to build a longer wheelbase version with the build stories running in Modern Rod magazine but I never saw any evidence that the car got finished or made any runs.

Roo

enloe likes this.