Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag Roadsters............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, I was only showing what Harold did after the Bantam, I should have showed his 33 Plymouth 4 door Tow/Push car he used when he raced the Roadster. I will delete the Dragster photo.

loudbang likes this.
  2. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coming from the guy who posts 67 Camaros on the Hamb when it is strictly prohibited?Lighten up Gary,You shout too much..

loudbang likes this.
  3. I post pictures of 67 Camaros? WTF?

4. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

post 1363 ,Oregon racers,A bitchin funny car that I happened to like.My point was let's not get so narrow, that we can't learn some history along the way..BTW,you post a Lot of great photos. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  5. The drag cars in motion and the days gone by thread have, in my understanding, more latitude than others because of their very nature. The 50's and 60's is the Golden Age of Drag Racing, particularly the 1960's. The 60's are days gone by, almost all pictures are pre 64, but it isn't really off topic if they aren't. As long as they are pre 70, even those have exceptions.
    Ryan has never expressed any displeasure or chastised me for my posts, it's HIS site. I asked him recently if I was out of bounds, no problem with him as far as I know. When the ROADSTERS thread features NOT ROADSTERS it off topic. The dragster pictures can be posted on other threads. Simple as that really.

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jim Livingston (Woodburn Dragstrip Owner) very early 60's. Do I get a reprieve ? 2013-06-04 124256.jpg

7. Allright girls, you're both pretty, don't fight.....

rc57, deadbeat and Finn Jensen like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jim Livingston again, only this time with Ramcharger power and "Sickle Fenders" a move to Street Roadster class. Harrold Davis roadster.jpg

EVL401, 1947knuck, deadbeat and 5 others like this.
  9. 296ardun

296ardun

MidweekMatinee04-SantaAna-MelsRun-700x317.jpg
    Santa Ana, no other i.d.

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-2-22_3-40-36.png Tony Nancy 22 jr at 1959 Riverside
    Hello,

Tony Nancy always had the reputation for having the shiniest, fanciest, most well built cars during this time period of the late 50’s into the 60’s. His famous 22 jr roadster was the prime example of his building techniques. This roadster was the epitome of race car looks, sound, and coolness. My brother always wanted to drive that car on the street as well as on the dragstrip. It has been in many magazines, but we were fortunate to see it up close at Riverside Raceway in 1959.

Jnaki

At the time, it took a lot of money to build such a cool looking, performing roadster. That was a category that most backyard builders could not match. But, it was awesome.

11. loudbang

loudbang

4 road.jpg

8 road.jpg

Running AA/A must have been real early look at the old cars in the pits

24  altered road.JPG

26 road.JPG

EVL401, 1947knuck, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

loudbang likes this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

No sure don't it was just in a batch of photos.

14. Don't want to pick nits, but the first two aren't roadsters.

t-rod likes this.
  15. Well, technically the Austin Healey does qualify as a roadster, seats two, no roll up windows.....

64 DODGE 440 and loudbang like this.
  16. But, it wasn't raced as a roadster. ;)

17. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

Austin Healeys, Triumphs, MGs and many others were raced as topless roadsters in SCCA amateur classes. Still are.

Pete L. and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

19. I thought we were talking drag racing here. NHRA rules put Healeys and the like in Modified Sports classes. I doubt Norm Cowdry's 9 second Healey ever ran an SCCA road race.

20. Dean,
    Didn't No Hot Rods Anymore put the Corvettes in Modified Sports as well? What about the early Thunderbirds? By the time I came along in the late 60's all the rules had changed.

21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-2-24_6-40-42.png upload_2017-2-24_6-40-55.png
    upload_2017-2-24_6-41-11.png upload_2017-2-24_6-41-26.png
    Hello,

The sports cars had their own classes from the time we saw them in 1958-60. It was almost as popular as the big 3 Stock classes. As the Corvettes were modified, then they jumped up to the modified sports class to run with the Devin bodied cars, Sam Parriot’s Kurtis at Lions Dragstrip and other places.

Jnaki
    sports cars:

sam parriot vs mod corvette

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-2-24_7-39-32.png upload_2017-2-24_7-39-43.png devin roadster
    upload_2017-2-24_7-40-8.png upload_2017-2-24_7-40-24.png modified sports car: M/SP
    Hello,
    Here is the Devin bodied sports car that was in the modified sports car class. (M/SP) Since it was not a factory stock sports car, it had to be in a modified class. Lightweight fiberglass body, modified motor, all make it much faster than the stock Corvettes.

Jnaki

But, the one that stood out was this black primered modified sports car that ruled the sports car classes at Lions for a while. That black primered one sure looks like the one our friend had built for the sports car class at the drags. At the time, everyone else locally, was building Fords, Willys, Chevies for the gas coupes and sedan classes. He wanted to be different, so another different fiberglass sports car body plus a huge modified V8 with a 671. That was one of the only big V8 + 671 in a sports car besides that Austin Healey of Norm Cowdry. None of these modified sports cars ran in the SCCA as they were pure drag racing cars. The stock sports cars? Maybe, but certainly not the modified ones…
    red devin:

M/SP:

loudbang and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  23. Mike, you are correct. The NHRA, in the name of pure profit, muddied up the street classes so bad that after a while there was very little distinction. Gassers tried to run altered classes so they could still race when the gas class, street roadster class, and sports car class were all lumped together in "competition" eliminator", or what ever they called it. They wanted to make the show more "professional", and the racers and crowds suffered for it. The computer controlled stops have made that class a joke to watch. The only thing NHRA has done right in the last 30 years is to run top fuel Harleys this year. Now THAT is a show!

24. t-rod

t-rod

loudbang likes this.
  25. Top Fuel Harleys make you giggle and shiver a bit!!!:eek: You have to be down in the staging area to get the full benefit!

Hotdoggin DaddyO and loudbang like this.
  26. Until I watched those guys, I thought funny car drivers were insane!

27. loudbang

loudbang

Note back wheels tucked INSIDE body

anmd roadster.JPG

Capture altered and road.JPG

Capture.JPG

f6ca45af8499f253db7edf9f10384ce2.jpg

From sixgun

roadster.jpg

EVL401, 1947knuck, t-rod and 3 others like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

I humbly apologize in advance to anyone offended that this batch has no caption or photo credits attached I post them as I find them. Mea Culpa Mea Culpa. If any of these are your work please send me a PM and I will add the info immediately.

13 altewred and road.JPG

15 and road.JPG

and road 1 (2).JPG

Different headers

and road 1.JPG

and roadster.JPG

EVL401, 1947knuck, Dean Lowe and 3 others like this.
  29. noboD

noboD

Loudbang, PLEASE just keep doing what you're doing.

deadbeat, rod1 and loudbang like this.
  30. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Here's my newly acquired 1930 Model A Coupster that we believe was built and ran somewhere in the 1954-1957 timeframe in Street Roadster:

image.jpeg

If you have any recollection, information, or pictures of this car back in the day, please let me know.

I have a thread dedicated to this car here too.