Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag Racing trophys--alternatives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbtine, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jbtine

jbtine

Back in the 60s I worked at Green Valley dragstrip in Smithfield Texas. Most of the time a trophy was given to class winners mostly stock classes, of course higher classes won money. Green Valley had fender covers made as an alternative to trophys. I remember the old sayiing...you can't eat trophys. At least fender covers were useful. After I quit working there I took my car and won my class and of course I chose the fender cover. It's no longer useful but I still keep it hanging on the wall. Did any other strips give fender covers or any other alternatives. Any pictures of the old stuff?

Attached Files:

2. I competed for a few years in the late '70s/early '80s at our local dragstrip in stock classes. Mostly the prizes were trophies, or cash (which was usually drunk at the after event do). One meeting - can't remember exactly when - someone had donated some stainless steel cooking dishes as prizes. I still use the ones that I won. I am sure some might have used them as draining trays.

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Lions did give away fender covers...wish I could find one

4. Panama Red

Panama Red

US131 Dragway in Martin, Mi would give class winners a choice in the early 70's. You could take a trophy or turn in 2 (might have been 3 - I'm not sure) class win slips for a case of Kendall motor oil. Once bracket racing took over in the mid to late 70's, no more trophies, only cash. I won the Super Pro points championship in '79 and didn't get a trophy for that either. Guess they figured the check for $3K was enough. My ex had a trophy made for me just for rememberance. The money is long gone! Trophy is on a shelf in the garage along with the Wally for an Indy class win in '76.