Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag link/Tie rod ends?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kantgetnun, Aug 16, 2006.

1. kantgetnun

kantgetnun

whats better or more accepted for ends on drag links and tie rods? hiem style rod ends or the ball joint style? I am getting to the end of the build on my 28 coupe and want to make sure I get the right stuff

2. Splinter

Splinter

Speedy Bill sells both in plain steel and stainless. Which do you prefer, Gov'ner?

3. kantgetnun

kantgetnun

I like the look of heim joints but just wanted to get everyone else's opinion. I know its kind of an insignifcant question but I want to make sure there isnt some rule at car shows thats gonna keep me from gettin in

4. Ken,

Use either one. Spherical rod ends were around during WWII so as long as you're going for a post-war look, you'll be fine. :)

Matt

5. T2B

T2B
    from san diego

It doesn't really matter much but there are some states that have laws against using heim joints on street driven vehicles. Check your local codes if you are really worried about it.

6. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Hmm,I think I would use a tie rod end on the end of my tie rod.

7. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

he he ,i cant help it,but dito

8. racer5c

racer5c

I can see it on the flyers now, no billet, no radials and especially no heim joints allowed (my feeble attempt at humor sorry I couldn't help it)

9. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I was in a hardware store and asked the lady for a heimjoint and she told me I couldn'ttalk to her like that. I tried to explain that it could also be called a ball joint,she said I'd have to leave.

10. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

We are using chromemoly rod ends for the tie rod and drag link on the straight axle conversion on my 55 Chevy. My welder / fabricator buddy also works on a lot of dune buggy's and he is constantly replacing broken tie rod ends with heim joint style moly ends.

11. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Heim joints wear out quickly. Racers are replacing them all the time. I did a car with them a few years ago, and steel ones wore out in less than 100 miles. Moly ones lasted about 300 miles. They will still function, but they are loose enough to cause a shimmy.

12. If your spherical rod ends are wearing out within 300 miles, you're doing something wrong. I put over 20,000 miles on the last set I used on my split wishbones with no problems.