Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Holy shit look at those shots.

2. MAN,I miss the days of push-start AA/FDs ! All part of the show back then. Dennis Doubleday

3. JHOLE

JHOLE
    from ohio

I soooo remember push starts. that was the best. The "diggers" got to do it. FC's didn't. looked so cool to me....Always ran to the stands to watch the "push/start/chase and position ..." It was a dance that was so well done compare to tow/starter/clear out...I was in a tow/starter/clear out world. Had it's own dance, but it wasn't as cool...

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

9. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

The push start shot is of Ron Colson (far lane) and Bob Keith these were both blown Chevrolet powered. Colson was running a small block and Keith's was the first blown Big Block ever built. All the parts were custom made in the lead up to the Australian Tour, the rail was tested a couple of days before it was shipped to Australia and it never missed a run on the tour. The rail was a Kent Fuller chassis and had been to England in '64 when it was Hemi powered, Bob did two tours to England then one to Australia. He did more than his share to make the world aware as to how good Drag Racing was and is.
    The Tony Nancy car was powered by an Oldsmobile engine on the Aussie tour and damaged two engines while it was here, it threw the rods out once and I cant remember what the problem was with the second engine. These photos were all taken at Castlereagh Dragway in Sydney.
    The US Team was Bob Mayer, Crower Cams AA/FD. George "The Bushmaster" Schrieber, Yellow Fang AA/FD. Tony Nancy, Team Captain, 22 jr blown Oldsmobile dragster. Earle Poage "Little Trouble Too" blown 392 Hemi dragster, Bob Keith, Courtsey Chevrolet blown 502 cu in BB Chev dragster and Ron Colson "Stilleto" blown SB Nickey Chevrolet dragster. This team left a great legacy behind them with hundreds of racers being inspired by them to take up the sport.
    Earl Poage, Bob Mayer and Tony Nancy have passed on but they along with George Schrieber, Ron Colson and Bob Keith will never be forgotton for there contribution to Australian Drag Racing.
    All the US Racers that participated in these early Tours to England and Australia should be honoured by the relevant organisations in the US, England and Australia. They did more than they will ever know to promote Drag Racing world wide, I have a huge respect for them all. I am sure the guys that came to Australia could tell you all some amazing stories of how they found the country and the enjoyment they had here. I spent time with Tony Nancy at the '97 CHRR and the thing that he remembered most was the lack of availability of Nitro, the tour organisers had none for the two AA/ FDs. Nitro was located in Sydney in one pint tins, there is a photo of the US guys tipping the one pint tins into a large drum. If I can locate it I will send it to Ross Preen to post it here.
    This December 12 we are having a Tribute Night in Sydney for Bob Keith who will be here with his wife Lee, ( He took her home with him from Australia after theTour)There will be many stories told of the great times had by all who participated in the 1966 Australian Drag Fest. All are welcome to partake in the night.

Pete Draddy likes this.
  10. Smokey Linkey

Smokey Linkey
    from Elyria, OH

Wow! Great history lesson right there & great shots from the 'Thunder Down Under'
    Being and all American Boy I never stopped to think of how this great sport was
    spread all over the world. Nitro by the Pint Tin. Sounds like something you would
    see on the Happy Hour Drink Menu. - Smoke.

11. RossPreen

RossPreen

For all you guys that hanker for the push start stuff, watch this video taken by a very good friend of mine, Bill Pitts. The Dragster is a recreation of Tommy "The Watch Dog" Allen's 60's trick car, engine by Rick MacDonald, enjoy!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVZS3_Co65E
    Ross.
    PS Turn up the sound and go full screen!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  12. ro51_hemi

ro51_hemi
    from York,Pa

you don't see many chopped topped Willy's

13. Smokey Linkey

Smokey Linkey
    from Elyria, OH

It's supposed to be hot this weekend on the East but not this HOT!

Attached Files:

14. Smokey Linkey

Smokey Linkey
    from Elyria, OH

Sorry, but it's late and for some strange reason I just got the munchies...

Attached Files:

15. MissFire

MissFire

I am drooling over this thread! I've got some on a disk somewhere, but mine dont compare to most of these. <3

16. Smokey Linkey

Smokey Linkey
    from Elyria, OH

Alway liked Shirl's Mustangs...

Attached Files:

17. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

MissFire please post whatever you have, we all have something to contribute to this great thread, that is what makes it great!

18. Smokey Linkey

Smokey Linkey
    from Elyria, OH

Sat. mornings are known for cartoons. So here's your Sat. morning funny...
    Talk about hanging out the LAUNDRY!!!
    A shot of Mom in the back yard Summer '68' with the 1st A/FD (sb chevy)
    Dad built in the gargage over the winters of '67-68'. To see finished hot rod
    click back to page 643 #12850. Now that we've see the cartoon get out in
    the garage and turn some wrenches...

Attached Files:

19. Judd

Judd

Smokey
    That shot gives new meaning to hangin out the laundry.

20. Thanks RoyalShifter! One of my favorites -- Ted Kramer's Y-block powered Snoopy. That's the earlier version with six deuces on the 312. He really had a "drag car in motion" when he added the Hilborns and the spring perch spacer!
    [​IMG]
    If anybody has more pics of this car, post 'em up!

21. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

This is the car that got me into digging drag racing....
    A friend of mine ran it.
    We had no money, but had a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

22. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Tommy Ivo used to pour oil down a header tube so it'd smoke when he pulled to the line and cause his competition to think his engine was unhealthy.

23. fanspete

fanspete

I hope no one minds,but I've sent every pic I've seen of Ted and Snoopy to his daughter-in-law and she's passed them along. Just trying to make somebodies day! (it's workin'!):D

24. HKH

HKH
    from CA

25. Ebert

Ebert

You are certainly right, but I like it!

26. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

27. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin