Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. 296ardun

296ardun

ary racing montgomery montgomery.jpg
    From Don Montgomery collection, at Colton
    akins riverside.jpg
    Pat Akins, near side, racing Archie Ary, Riverside. Maybe Doug Peterson photo?

spencer jack.jpg
    Jack Spencer coupe, maybe at either Cotati or Vaca Valley?

montgomery engine cobbs hilborn dyno.jpg
    Don Montgomery's blown Chrysler on the Hilborn dyno, first Gilmer belt drive on a blown Chrysler...engine is in motion. Don Montgomery photo

alexanderinbrissette.jpg
    Alexander & Brisette, no photographer id.

memphis rebeleers auto club halls drag strip safari.jpg
    Memphis "Rebeleers," Hall's Drag Strip, Tennessee, during the NHRA Safety Safari. Eric Rickman photo

shuljack 2.jpg
    Jake Shuljack's Bantam competition coupe at Bakersfield. I believe he was from Indiana, once held the 1320 record for B/MFC.

SteinEsh.jpg
    Steinegger and Eishenbaugh, Arizona based

PitsBobbyLangley-X2.jpg
    People in motion: Bobby Langley gets some help in the pits

scott ganahl mystery roadster 53.jpg
    Charles "Scotty" Scott at Pomona, early, before roll bars became mandatory for all open cars. Same Scotty who ran the famous Scotty's Muffler Service Ardun roadster.

2. Love any photo that shows the Pomona pump house. Brings back a lot of memories.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

And the three (?) trees that outlived the pumphouse on the grounds.

Mike

4. Yes, 3 trees on the pump house side (first one just behind me) and a dozen on the street side of the strip. I'm standing just about where the pump house sat. At one point in time the entire fairgrounds was a huge orange grove. The well and pump house supplied the irrigation for the entire grove. Too bad it couldn't have been preserved. It was a part of Pomona/La Verne history.
    [​IMG]

270bob, knotttty, Mark Hinds and 14 others like this.
  5. 296ardun

296ardun

lowe dean in motion hamb.jpg
    lowe dean roadster HAMB.jpg
    lowe.jpg
    Looking back on a lot of hot rod history, few hot rods made an impression on me as much as has Dean Lowe's roadster pickup. It was immaculately constructed, perfect in every detail. It ran the quarter and half mile drags, and the lakes. But to me the priceless thing about Dean's hot rod was that it really was street-driven. I was fortunate enough to have a chance to sit in it at the Powerine gas station next to Bobs in Pasadena. I just sat there and thought, "this roadster is perfect," even to include leather straps to keep the doors from hitting the headers. Oh, and Dean's roadster won class time after time against all-out race "street roadsters," and other competition cars as well.

knotttty, Mark Hinds, Airpig and 17 others like this.
  6. Thanks Dave. You are far too kind.

7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Dean, 296ardun is without a doubt 100% correct

Chrome don’t get ya home

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

And you're far too humble Dean! We're very fortunate to have the input of one of a handful here, who really were there!
    Keepin' history real! Always look forward to your posts Dean. And your impeccably built and fast S/R will always be at the top of the heap when the subject of S/R's of the era comes up!

10. If this keeps up, I won't be able to get my head through the door!!

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Dean then just make the door bigger!

Pat

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

That’s not a nice thing to say about the thousands of fans who crowded into Pomona just to watch you race your RPU! If that was ‘62 or ‘63 my Dad and I were among that bunch of slobs. Lol.
    It was hard to get my Dad to take me to those events. It was a bit of a drive, crowded and I’m sure set my Dad back a few bucks. I don’t think NHRA was ready for the crowds either, food, trash cans and porta potties were in short supply.
    Great cars and great memories though.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  13. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

1961 Pomona 6 kids from Echo Park area 14-16 yo roll up in a 46 or 47 Plymouth coupe on late Sunday morning without a clue. They have stopped selling tickets so we wander around the parking area and the PA announcer yells for someone to get those kids off the track and we run across and wind up inside. Spent one of the best days of my life looking at race cars and hearing them run. Standing in the crowd behind Chrisman's HCS with the plywood front body panel during the photos after the race. Started an obsession.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-1-23_5-48-39.png

Hello,
    In a different thread, this was posted by Dean Lowe. It is an interesting photo that could have been in our history if we had continued racing the 58 Impala with other modifications that we added later. The stage was set in 1962, my brother and I were already out of weekly drag racing participation due to our Willys coupe accident.

So, had we gone into the newer modifications to the Impala, it would have dropped us into the C/Gas class. So, this race in the photo, could have happened.

Jnaki

My brother and I did go to the Winternationals in 1961 and 62 as a means of coming to terms with his accident and recovery. We were not in the pits area, but in the spectators area down the dragstrip watching, like everyone else.

When this photo of Dean's RPU vs. the black 58 Impala popped up on the HAMB, it was one of those moments that could have been... That RPU was one heck of a competitive roadster. Especially, being built and driven by a high school teenager.

15. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yep, my Dad and I too..!
    Neither of us were slobs... We both took showers and had clean clothes on before we left to go to the races.

Mike

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

1-ug7.jpg
    Mike Marinoff dragster after the Mustang gasser.

17. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

RF-LLH-1.jpg
    Rockfords Love - Lund - and Hay Top Fuel car.

18. bchctybob

bchctybob

Jnaki, I think that '58 may be the Shig - Shimizu Chevy. Later on, one of my best friends worked at Shig's place for many years. Shig ran several drag cars over the years. My friend Craig (or Stumpy, as we called him) would come to my folk's garage after work and regale us with tales of the racers who visited Shig's and the many hot rods that dropped by the place. Stumpy idolized him and Shig taught him a lot about building engines. Good old days, for sure.
    shigs 57.jpg

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. Outlaw68

Outlaw68
    from Minot,ND

21. Helloosination

Helloosination

That's what you call a neutral start!

Sent from my moto z3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Ya gotta love the sound of a nitro fed Hemi in the twilight of the evening. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  23. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Above - Sachs & Sons, Comet

Interesting fact...that's NOT a burnout..!

Mike

LOST ANGEL and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. 296ardun

296ardun

40 ford hood.jpg
    In the old days, a trip to the junkyard sometimes got you a body for your dragster, here a '40 Ford deluxe hood.
    grudem t coupe 39 nose.jpg
    Another trip to the junkyard produced a nose for this T coupe. Nice track roadster in the background. Norm Grudem photo.

kallita bounty hunter3.png
    Connie Kalitta with the scalps he took in his "Bounty Hunter."

Rollema & Stan Hill, 1961.JPG
    Jerry Rollema and Stan Hill ran this neat Itow Chassis car with GMC.

seaton jim 2.jpg
    Jim Seaton bought Tony Nancy's flathead - powered roadster and installed a blown Olds in it. Karen White photo taken at San Luis Obispo.

sharon baker saugus.jpg
    Sharon Baker's '39 Ford sedan at speed at Saugus, far lane, Baker RacingPicts collection.

safeway willys milikin photo.jpg
    Safeway Sandblasting gasser, blown Ardun powered, Charles Milikin Jr. photo.