Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Yes, Merek knows his stuff. Few people know when Ed parked his roadster, Merek was chosen to pilot the Ram Chargers funny car as well as their top fuler. Merek and I became friends when he realized I knew Ed Taylor. He designed his own fuel system for his "street comp coupe". The blown Chevy fires right up just like a docile street engine because Merek designed a self priming system for the Hilborne 4 holer.

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Photographer getting down and dirty. 911047scr_wm_2c02230bbfcc2b2.jpg

Offset, Bowtie Coupe, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My brothers 63.5 at Indy. 923533scr_wm_e3df705c0c27b05.jpg

6. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

7. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

1-1033.jpg
    The Mickey Thompson Olds / Buick Twin - Jack Chrisman driving, hoping for years to find a shot of the other side of this unusual set-up.

8. Johnny99

Johnny99

I've straddled a big Olds/Pontiac and a Mopar 8-3/4" for a couple fun run squirts a long time ago, but that legs under stuff, I don't think so !

legs.jpg

9. raven

raven

Legs under the axles? Oh hell no!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

At my age, I'd be getting leg cramps in that thing.....

11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How in the hell did he get in there, is what I would like to know??? WTF!

chryslerfan55, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Never mind getting in! How do you get out? Especially if it's upside down! :D Oh and on fire.

Spooky, Deuces, Speedwrench and 3 others like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 296ardun,

Nice historic photos of some of the popular racers in So Cal. Those photos are clear and don't have copyright logos on them, that makes them easier to see and enjoy. In order for most that did not get a chance to see the two mentioned drag racing cars in action, here is a very short film of the Creighton Hunter/Hill Acala Roadster in action at Lions Dragstrip in 1959.
    Creighton Hunter /Hill Acala Red Roadster

The next film was the restored red roadster in all of its finest at the 2017 grand opening of the original Lions Museum in 2017. I called it the “movie corner” as my films were playing continuously on the 80+ inch TV monitor above the Hunter/Hill/ Acala display. It was also on display in the current 2019 opening at the new Lions Dragstrip Museum, too.

Hunter/Hill/Acala red roadster in the 2017 original Lions Museum display corner…with some movies playing on the big screen.

The final film was a happenstance as a friend said that the Rakers Modified Coupe was coming to the line. So, I scrambled to get the movie camera ready. It was the only time I got a shot of it racing.

HERE IS THE LATEST ACTUAL SOUND FROM THE RAKERS BLUE COUPE.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=zs5GDiEfUvY

FILM AT LIONS, RAKERS ACTUAL “SOUND” AT POMONA ALL IN 1959-60. THANKS, TROY CAGLE.
    upload_2019-12-7_4-18-26.png
    Rakers Car Club with Bruce Woodcock driving

Thanks for all of your historic posts and original information from back in those days. You were quite the drag racer, knowledgeable historian, and everyone needs to understand those facts.

Thanks,

Jnaki

14. WB69

WB69

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. WB69

WB69

Won't feel too safe in that situation myself. That's a big hell no right there for me!

16. WB69

WB69

The jewels don't look to safe if that rear end just happened to grenade....

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  17. WB69

WB69

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  18. WB69

WB69

My thoughts exactly too.

Deuces likes this.
  19. rooman

rooman

As far as I can determine this is an early mock up of the Karl Krohn and Sonny Rossi driven Junior Fuel car of Bud Morehouse, most likely with Karl in the car as Sonny was only 4' 3" tall and did not drive the car until later in its racing history. The final configuration was not "legs under" as it would have been physically impossible for Karl to get in and out of the car. A legs under car had the driver set back further from the rear end and the only part of his legs that went under the rear end were his shins with the pedals mounted low just ahead of the axle housing.
    Read more about Bud's creation here: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/res...ds-lightest-fuel-dragster-back-meet-underdog/

Roo

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I thought this was a "Legs Under" RCS car. Notables are Jim Barnard, in the seat, Ed "The Ace" far left, and Sid Waterman ,tuning the "Barn Door" injector. IMG_3650.JPG

21. chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. 296ardun

296ardun

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  23. rooman

rooman

Marty. that looks to be pretty much the same configuration as the Waterman/Hampshire/Bradley car that was later modified to a legs over configuration. All of the legs under cars that I know of are quite a bit longer from the rear axle rearwards, the Freight Train being a prime example.

Roo

24. Johnny99

Johnny99

Marty, Roo, 296ardun, and jnaki sure nice to have you guys chime in with your knowledge on this stuff. Thanks. Not much of an autograph hound but I have an old tee shirt with three F.E. cars superimposed over one another with "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY" under the cars. I bring it to the CHRR every year so some of the old warriors can add another signature. Feel pretty fortunate to have both Ronnie and Jeep's signature on that shirt.

Ronnie-Jeep.jpg

25. Johnny99

Johnny99

Couple more fellas whose autographs are on that shirt. R.I.P.

gas.jpg grump.jpg

26. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The above picture with Ronda and Jenkins.

Kinda funny. In later years, Gas Ronda was the dapper, always dressed to the 9's as they say wherever he went, and Jenkins was a bit rough around the proverbial edges.
    In this shot, it's Jenkins with the cool turtle neck and sun glasses, and Ronda in more daily dress.

Interesting how things change.

Mike

chryslerfan55 and Junior Stock like this.
  27. Here's a picture from back in the day!
    78763186_2501558326626232_4470894379124391936_n.jpg
    This picture represents a couple of my favorite places back in the mid 60's. Covina Auto Dismantling at the corner of Grand Ave & Arrow Highway and Fontana Drag City.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  28. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Cool, I did not know that that wrecking yard ran a race car. It was a pretty big yard. Much larger than others in the area.
    I grew up about two stones throws away in brand new houses about two blocks away. The junk yard later (about 1965 or 66) turned into a drive in theater, which later turned into a combination of both houses and condominiums and even a small apartment building at one corner of the lot. It was/is a big plot of land.

Mike

29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

30. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

SDTrain-1-1o.jpg