Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. thehazguy

thehazguy

2. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

And here's a pic of the "New Generation" car. I crewed on it and took this photo. 05-17-2011(71).jpg

Dog_Patch, Dean Lowe, tommyd and 7 others like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Gas Ronda Davis Ford Mustang this day in C/FD

Gas Ronda Russ Davis Ford 2 now CFD.jpg

Unknown Hemi dragster EDIT: from nickthebandit it is the Winkel & Trapp dragster

Hemi Digger.jpg

Melrose Missile

Melrose Missile 1965.jpg

Unknown what make at Montgomery Ala. dragway

montgomery al-drgwy-.jpg

Pandemonium IV

Pandemonium IV.jpg

Ramchargers

Ramchargers AAFD 2.jpg

Rapp & Rossi

Rapp & Rossi 1.jpg

Tom Hoover

Tom Hoover.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  4. chase knight

chase knight

RL Peyton in the far lane. Peyton won this round, and by the time Hoover returned to the pits, Peyton had already "borrowed" Tom's nitro so he could make the next round. Chase

5. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

6. The MAGICAR , now restored and owned by Bill Pitts.

Dean Lowe, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

This will be my screensaver. Love it. Awaiting Violence.
    [​IMG]

8. Always thought the MAGICAR is one of the best looking dragsters EVER!

9. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Damn Son, Those body styles just appeal to me like you can't imagine. Growing up in the 70's, the front engine dragsters/altereds were everything to me. As a 40, pushing 50, year old, I dream of piloting one of those.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  10. 296ardun

296ardun

08-24-2006113916PM.jpg
    Alex Xydias coupe, before they chopped it again...Alex bought this car pretty much like this, but painted it in SoCal Speed Shop colors and replaced the GMC with a blown flathead, and later a blown Ardun. Alex is at right.

4277692.jpg
    Sandoval Brothers at Pomona. They would go on to run a chopped Bantam bodied competition coupe and later ran the "Scoundrel" top fuel car that Gary Gabelich drove

A-Modifiedroadsterinpits.jpg
    unidentified modified roadster in pits, Pomona, Norm Grudem photo...no visible roll bar...

ari105waters__murray.jpg
    Waters & Murray, flathead powered here, later got a baby blue paint job and a 331" Chevy...it has either been recreated or restored.

COMP%20COUPE%20BELMONT%20SANCHEZ.jpg
    Belmont Sanchez, here with a Bantam body, at Pomona, Norm Grudem photo. This body had a long history, started out on Jim Wood's Bonneville car, then went on Mickey Thompson's twin-engine Bonneville car, before Belmont got it. Belmont would later run the Lakewood Muffler-sponsored Studebaker Bonneville car which set a bunch of records.

c - Copy (12).jpg
    Waterworth & Morris Bantam-bodied competition coupe at Santa Ana, Olds powered.

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

12. thehazguy

thehazguy

13. thehazguy

thehazguy

14. 296ardun

296ardun

That big blue International panel was still racing in Montgomery a few years ago, with a new coat of red paint...

mad mikey, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. That's too bad. I thot it looked real good in that blue. Maybe the owner went to "resale red." My memory isn't so good these days, but I don't think I've ever seen another one of those International panels.

loudbang likes this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

You wouldn't happen to know why Art Malone is referred to as Colonel which I'm guessing is Colonel a military rank. (see dragster photo above your reply)

17. loudbang

loudbang

Me either I was guessing that is what the chrome strip was saying but never saw one before

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. Cullyflower

Cullyflower

My dad had one. He sold it in 1956. I found it in 1968 sitting in Chester, Pa. still had my dads name on it. The guy that had it would not sell it. Never saw it again.

loudbang, 296ardun and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  19. That is an out and out shame, especially when you knew for certain it was your dad's former truck! It's unfortunate, but we hear too many of these stories. You'd think that folks wud wise up after awhile and sell those cars they're holding on to.

20. 296ardun

296ardun

He was an "Iskenderian" Colonel....Isky was one of the best cam promoters ever...and when Art struck out on his own after leaving Garlits, he went with Isky Cams...and Isky decided that if there could be Kentucky Colonels, there could also be Iskenderian Colonels....that's where the name came from.

21. 296ardun

296ardun

R.L. "Randy" Peyton was in a class by himself....he realized that the fans loved sparks, so lowered his engine so that it would hit the ground in the lights, producing showers of sparks from the pan...so he always carried several junk Chrysler pans with him....and the brake handle? A dildo.

22. thehazguy

thehazguy

23. thehazguy

thehazguy

24. thehazguy

thehazguy

25. 296ardun

296ardun

34coupeontrailer.jpg
    upload_2016-12-19_21-1-30.png

The top picture came from the Norm Grudem collection, taken mostly at Pomona in the early '50s. This '34 competition coupe had no i.d., but I found the bottom picture in the March 16 1956 issue of Drag News, so have a name for the car. It is very well finished with the chop and the '40 Ford hood for a nose, Chrisman-like. I never saw this car nor have seen anything else about it, anyone else?

26. 296ardun

296ardun

32\'%2520Roadster%2520(Leland%2520Kolb).jpg
    Another from the Norm Grudem collection...caption is "Leland Kolb," who ran a roadster like this, but could it be Boyd Penington? Smog Rat? Behind it is the Waters & Murphy roadster in flames before it's blue paint.

upload_2016-12-19_21-7-56.png
    This is a faded picture from the March 13 '56 Drag News, with Waters & Murray at Saugus, racing Hut Watkins of Bakersfield, both still flathead powered. Waters & Murray would put a 331" Chevy in their blue roadster, while Hut Watkins Smoker's purple roadster would get a Buick.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  27. Cullyflower

Cullyflower

The guy was still using it. I pulled over and was looking at it when he came out and asked what I wanted. I told him that the truck had been my fathers. He says how do you know that? Now I am thinking he is really dumb or being a smart ass. So I say that it still has my fathers name on the side so I am pretty sure. I tell him that I would like to buy it back but he doesn't want to sell. So I told him that when he was ready to sell just call. He had the name and we were in the book. He never called.

28. wisdonm

wisdonm

296ardun, that 101 is a sweet looking car.

29. 296ardun

296ardun

upload_2016-12-20_12-58-21.png
    Ok, it is a cruddy picture, copied from Drag News, August 1956, but it shows just how far Mooneyham & Sharp go back...and before this they were running the lakes without fenders. Carl Johnson, one partner, chopped the top. I knew that they ran a flathead before their famous blown Chrysler, but never knew that they ran Al Sharp's Dodge. Yes, Drag News copyeditors did not always pay attention to spelling, it's not "Mooningham." This car survives in the Garlits Museum.

loudbang, Dean Lowe, hendelec and 2 others like this.
  30. christmas tree

christmas tree

Love that 101 coupe and the 150 roadster. Takes me back good old days of my youth.

296ardun likes this.