Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. rooman

rooman

Nice collection of tri fives Jer but this one is a little on the new side. The big giveaway is the front wheels. Real Americans have 12 spokes and are spindle mount, not bolt on.

Roo

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. jivin jer

jivin jer

DAMN! I'll get this figured out.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  3. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

@jivin jer
    Roo is right, those wheels alone are a dead giveaway, another thing to look for is the wheelie bar design, if it's a newer build, they usually are another telltale sign unless the builder is hip to the styles of the old days.
    If I am not sure about the era of a photo, I spend a minute scanning the background for hints of more modern times, such as RV's, and other things such as bright pastel colors.
    This thread has been going for so long that it's easy to submit duplcates from the prior submissions of others, but that's kind of like the old drag racing saying...............
    "If you don't red light once in a while, you're not trying hard enough".
    Glad you are on board this thread, it is one of the best ones on the HAMB.

5. 296ardun

296ardun

12509273_1508751896096876_1585343046648919988_n.jpg
    No ID on this Olds powered TE-440, cool push truck

keeter.jpg
    Keeter & Stewart. This car rolled about half way down the track at Fontana, there was grass by the track, which only accelerated the spinning car, which then went into the parking lot, hitting a couple of cars. Driver came out ok, though a spectator sitting on the front of his car was hurt. The scene got ugly when another spectator tried to take a picture of the wreck in the pits, and one of the crew grabbed his camera...fists flew and the cops had to break it up

lickliter62.jpg
    Lickliter Brothers, far lane, racing an unidentified coupe (anyone?). Lickliter Brothers were from Staunton, VA, and won their class...NHRA Nationals

lions57.jpg
    Great shot from Lions in the Petersen archives...I wonder if this is Creighton Hunter's T roadster?

littletoad.jpg
    Hudson powered, sounded like an angry hornet....at Pomona

Pass.jpg
    I don't remember the name of this Olds powered RED, but I think he called his car "the Israeli Rocket." From Florida, if I remember right (anyone??) From Chase Knight: Yes, Paul Shapiro driving the Israeli Rocket at Palm Beach International Raceway for the Miami based multicultural team of Cohen, Sonnenblik, and O'Brien. Blown Olds initially, then a Dodge wedge. Used the Orner "injector with a brain", and was very competitive in Division II in the early sixties, running mid-eights. Aircraft front wheels, very light car. It's now in the Garlits museum.

Picture-512.jpg
    Crosley & Hilton at Bakersfield after racing Ivo, before Ivo painted his car

prudhomme-03.jpg
    Baney Ford car vs Garlits at Capitol Raceway...I can't tell from the helmet who is driving the Baney car as both Prudhomme and McEwen drove it.

sanfernando61.jpg
    Street roadster in the pits at San Fernando. The houses across the strip were one of the reasons the track shut down in around '71. Noise complaints contributed to many SoCal drag strips closing, though often the reasons were more complicated, and also involved land values.

Scan0034.jpg
    Champion Speed Shop at Half Moon Bay. I think that this was close to the end for the TE-440 on the right (though it might have been the same TE-440 that Champion later put two engines in). Looks like Jim McClennan second from left...

s-l1600.jpg
    I don't know anything about this...Stude coupes used to be somewhat popular in the gas ranks

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

9. old flopper

old flopper

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

I appreciate the support, but someone needs to ask the musical question, is this a jobs program in disguise??

tommyd, Gabe Fernando and Mazooma1 like this.
  11. jivin jer

jivin jer

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

15. jivin jer

jivin jer

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

18. thehazguy

thehazguy

[​IMG]

Could be in the Jr Stocker thread as well

19. thehazguy

thehazguy

[​IMG]

Testor & Keegan out of Hackettstown NJ. A strong runner in NED 1, modified production.

20. thehazguy

thehazguy

[​IMG]

Another one that could be in the Jr Stocker thread.

21. thehazguy

thehazguy

[​IMG]

May have posted this a long time ago but it was pretty fuzzy. Finally got a nice scanner and here it is. The Hairy Canary Comet at Island Dragway mid sixties.

22. Marv Eldridge Javelin- what a great lookin' FC body. What a deadly thread, thanks all..

23. jaytee

jaytee
    from Ireland

Merek came to England in 1965 to drive Moonshot but was involved in a road accident...seen here helping with the refuelling or maybe engine oil

powrshftr, hendelec and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  24. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone finally figured out what to do with a SBC. Run the blower of a Hemi!

nitrobrother and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  25. chase knight

chase knight

View attachment 3109919
    I don't remember the name of this Olds powered RED, but I think he called his car "the Israeli Rocket." From Florida, if I remember right (anyone??)

Yes, Paul Shapiro driving the Israeli Rocket at Palm Beach International Raceway for the Miami based multicultural team of Cohen, Sonnenblik, and O'Brien. Blown Olds initially, then a Dodge wedge. Used the Orner "injector with a brain", and was very competitive in Division II in the early sixties, running mid-eights. Aircraft front wheels, very light car. It's now in the Garlits museum. Regards, Chase

26. 296ardun

296ardun

Chase, thanks! I have added the information to the original post.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. jivin jer

jivin jer

28. jivin jer

jivin jer

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

30. jivin jer

jivin jer