Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Don, my dad, uncle Roger, and several of there friends were there was in '60. My dad told me that same story. My uncle Roger was one of the people racing in that big line. 59 Impala 348 tri power. Dad said it was cold as a well diggers ass that year and not too many shitters there either. The shitters were wood, and eventually someone in the race group hit one of the shitters. They took the wood and burned it along with what ever they could find in the groves, to stay warm, and slept in their cars. During the day the lines for the shitters were really long, so dad would sit back in the passenger seat of his 34 Ford, and pee through the battery box in the floor. Then he told his brother Roger, who told the other buddies, who told some other people, and dad ended up with people waiting in line to piss through his battery box. Dad said those early Smokers Meets were out of control. One year, they saw a drunk guy take a header off the top of the grand stands.

tommyd and Gabe Fernando like this.
  2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

This non organized nite drag racing was over on the large spectator side of that large paved area, then in the morning on the pit side like Ardun was saying you had to have 4 sets of eye's in your head so you did not get run over by a fueler lighting off to get it warmed up

The whole weekend was something else, and never to be seen again

296ardun, tommyd and Gabe Fernando like this.
  3. Probably is SWC, seems like Droke's Mustang was red. You might be correct.

4. Looks like Pomona?
    [​IMG]

296ardun and Dean Lowe like this.
  5. Cotati Drag Strip (1959).
    [​IMG]

6. Probably so, Rich. How about this one? Is that you on the far left?
    [​IMG]

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

8. Jerry Card of El Cerrito owned Card Automotive Specialty in San Pablo, California, and campaigned a series of A/FMCs in the late '50s and early '60s.
    [​IMG]

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

10. Hayden Proffitt debuted the SST Rebel late in 1967 at Lions. He ran 8.11 at 181.85 before the end of the year. Yes it was AMC powered!
    [​IMG]

11. Drag Strip and Drag Racing magazines were the best of the 60's rags, though hard to get! I had to ride mt Schwinn Corvette ( NOT Sting Ray) miles to get them at a drug store!
    [​IMG]

stillrunners and hendelec like this.