Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. seawolf

seawolf

2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

HOW COOL IS THAT

3. noboD

noboD

D.N.D. I think another name for egg keep is Water Glass or sodium silicate. If so that's what was put in all the engines a few years ago when the Gov't scrapped all the cars trying to jump start the economy.

4. dmorago

dmorago

You and the other famous names. Old, those days!

5. dmorago

dmorago

This the 1st Ontario?

6. dmorago

dmorago

We used Water Glass to seal small links in our gasser engines. It was recommended by a local pharmacist (as a poor man's solution for cracked blocks) He said it was used to seal raw eggs, especially for Navy ship supplies.

hendelec likes this.
  7. seawolf

seawolf

8. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

David you are always such an impressive wealth of information about all of this

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

there was only one Ontario

stillrunners likes this.
  10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yes sir Ontario was a first class race track, went out there for the Questar grand prix with the F 5000 cars vrs the F1 stuff

Everything was painted with flowers every ware but it came with a price tag, and the note was way too much and it just faded away

What a shame that so-cal cant support a nice track like that was

11. nice to see Tom S in TN posting again.......Hi Tom.....

lawrence

296ardun and tommyd like this.
  12. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Is Jerry Johansen still around? Anyone? When I started racing (1960) we held him in awe. He was our age, or a little younger, and knew so much about racing. Of course literally growing up at Howards Cams was why he knew so much. Capable of running 'big league' cars at such a young age. Very, very talented.

tommyd and hendelec like this.
  13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

14. Johnny99

Johnny99

Yep probably a repeat. This one would make a fellow melancholy! Rest in peace K.S.

KSwreck1965-3.jpg

15. 0ldracer

0ldracer

KS PITTMAN during happier times...1965 NHRA Winternationals Pomona

KSPittmanPomona1965.jpg

ME.GASSER and Dean Lowe like this.
  16. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A buddy of mine now living in Alaska sent me some photos he took as a lad when he lived in New Mexico. These are all taken at a drag strip there, between 1961 and 1963.

DIG2.jpg
    Maybe someone will recognize some of these, I am unfamiliar with most of them.

DIG3.jpg
    The GMC 4-71 looks kind of small today, but was usually enough for a SB Chevy on gasoline.

DIG4.jpg
    Any digger trailer with hubcaps might be considered a high-dollar rig. Remember chain-drive blowers?

GAS1.jpg
    A standout back then, and it would be a standout today, too.

GAS2.jpg A Modified Sports Car, what it once was I have no idea. Looks like 348-409 Chevy power.

ALT2.jpg
    I should know this car but I don't. Looks like a Dragmaster chassis under the tin.

SR2.jpg
    B/SR, SB Chevy powered. In those days, there really were "street/strip" cars in the Gasser and Street Roadster classes. A license plate is a dead giveaway.

Attached Files:

• DIG4.jpg
      DIG4.jpg
      File size:
      264.1 KB
      Views:
    • SR1.jpg
      SR1.jpg
      File size:
      234.7 KB
      Views:
  17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The first one might be Bobby Langley; I think the set-back '27 roadster is Ray Godman's Tennessee Boll Weevil.

18. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BO-WEEVIL_3.jpg
    I believe you are correct...

Dean Lowe, hendelec and Gary Reynolds like this.
  19. 296ardun

296ardun

Gabe, he is listed as deceased on Don Ewald's "in memorium" site:

http://wediditforlove.com/remembering.html

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

21. Larry T

Larry T

Sassy Sue sure looks like a version of the Don Hardy / Kelly Chadwick B/G car Don Hardy 32.jpg

22. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Thanks Ardun. I go to that sight once in a while as a visitor and didn't think to look there.

23. Johnny99

Johnny99

Morning,

Rumor is this car was raced at the Arlington drag strip. Any Northwest guys recognize it? I'm typically not a fan of mismatch grill on a 32 but this I like.
    arl5.jpg

Speedys Garage and hendelec like this.
  24. 296ardun

296ardun

1330634_orig.jpg
    I believe that this is Bob Rounthwaite's "thingie" dragster with a new owner and a flathead instead of the GMC...Pomona, very early 50s.

11205859_420887098092492_759470716_n.jpg
    Roo commented on an early post of Dale Armstrong's Chev topless funny car, that the top was cut off after a trans explosion damaged it...here is the original.

blairs-speedshop_bh.jpg
    The car is marked "Blair's Speed Shop," probably pre-55 before slingshots. I worked at Blair's in the '60s, really wish I had learned more about some of the earlier cars that Blair sponsored.

DKW.JPG
    I have no clue who's car this is...once was a German DKW, and the only person I know who modified one was Blair's engine guy Danny Sheffield, who put a Lincoln V-12 in one...I left for the Navy before he finished it, wonder if this is it?
    gas-silv.jpg

Steve Korney (sp??) Gold finger AA/GS up against an Austin gasser

hoover.JPG
    Minnesota's Tom Hoover, Ford cammer...this was a really well finished car...I remember watching it run at Fremont, where John Batto's unpainted fueler beat it.

img0472.jpg
    No ID on this double-McCulloch blown Ford powered altered

McCourryIvo_pg.jpg
    The Don Johnson-owned Daddy's Auto Body special at San Fernando. According to the caption, Tom McCoury is driving...it ran a Max Balchowski-built Buick, but later ran Ivo's Buick...Sometimes Ivo also drove, and given the Buick pushcar (Ivo had a Buick before he went to Cad push cars), this could be Ivo in the seat. This was Kent Fuller's first dragster chassis, had a traditional spring front end, and a fiberglass body that made it too heavy to be competitive. Good looking car, made HRM cover when it was yellow.

montana.jpg
    Unknown roadster class (looks like a coupe with the top cut off), at a drag strip in Montana

Old-San-Gabriel-1958-1.jpg
    This from Don Ewald's site...I think that Doug Peterson took this picture at San Gabriel in around '58. No ID on either car, this would have been the gas-only era.

Attached Files:

tommyd and Dean Lowe like this.
  25. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    George, the other pix look era correct but this one is definitely post 61-63 as it has zoomies and also what look like Good Year Blue Streaks. It is Bobby Langley's Scorpion V , probably from around 1965.

Roo

stillrunners, tommyd and Dean Lowe like this.
  26. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

Actually I think it is a Sport Coupe judging by the reveal at the top of the door and rear quarter panels and the windshield frame.

Roo

296ardun likes this.
  27. rooman

rooman

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  28. rooman

rooman

Yep! Even though the tonneau cover and paint color are both different this appears to be a couple of iterations of the second Bo-Weevil. Both photos show the car with Autolite and Schiefer decals on the cowl side. The first one (that Raymond restored quite a few years back) had a Chassis Research K-88 style frame and no tonneau cover.

Roo

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's a Cabriolet, the 3 hinges on the door is the giveaway , along with the upper reveal you mentioned.

stillrunners and 296ardun like this.
  30. rooman

rooman

Marty,
    they were called Sport Coupes in Oz and I was going to mention the hinge but figured that the reveal was enough to identify it.

Roo
    ps Keep up the good work on the Spalding deal for Too Tall--awesome build