Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. 296ardun

296ardun

Cool! I don't remember where I found the photo...Cyr must have had his orange TE-440 by that time..

2. partsrivet

partsrivet

Attached Files:

MARTINSPEED likes this.
  3. Yes, he did. I took this pic just before the T/E run off with Kenny Lindley.
    [​IMG]

4. And here's Lindley's Missfire right after Cyr won the race. All my pics from that day are in one of my albums.

[​IMG]

MARTINSPEED likes this.
  5. Blower guru Don Hampton was heavily involved in this car.
    In fact,that looks like Dons first wife Edith in the Chevy behind it-------

6. partsrivet

partsrivet

Hello again, These views are from the Division 4 points race held at Opelousas, LA in June of 1967. They are in slide order so you'll see things from time trials through the finals. As with most races back then, I only had enough money for one roll of film and processing, which in the fullness of times seems like it was penny wise and pound foolish, since there's no going back to see this again. But I did get something and although some have been posted, some have not, so I hope you'll enjoy them all.

This first view is of a AA/GD that ultimately ran Moritz and Lundy from Tulsa for the money. If anyone has any information or memories about these cars, please share them with us.

Chuck

[​IMG]

7. partsrivet

partsrivet

Dick Moritz from Tulsa gets out on an unidentified car during Top Gas qualifications.
    [​IMG]

8. partsrivet

partsrivet

Charlie Smith from Oklahoma City has his recently converted altered going against Larry Reed from Houston. The altered was previously injected, then a blower was added and at this race the car was running in AA/FA.
    [​IMG]

9. partsrivet

partsrivet

Boyd and Griffith from Oklahoma City go against the Green Gang from Angleton TX during Top Fuel qualifications.
    [​IMG]

10. partsrivet

partsrivet

Clester Andrews from Orange TX in his injected fuel Mustang.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  11. partsrivet

partsrivet

This Willys pickup was called the Little Brown Truck, but I have no information other than that.
    [​IMG]

12. partsrivet

partsrivet

Don Grotheer from Edmond OK warms the tires during time trials. Don was honored at the Bowling Green KY nostalgia meet last weekend.
    [​IMG]

tommyd likes this.
  13. partsrivet

partsrivet

Jack Cooley from Morgan City, LA drops the hammer on his Olivier Chevrolet Camero during time trials. The 66 B/S in the next lane was also sponsored by Olivier Chevrolet in Morgan City, LA.
    [​IMG]

14. partsrivet

partsrivet

Leo Simpson from Port Arthur, TX in his Mingle Motor Co. factory SS/A.
    [​IMG]

15. partsrivet

partsrivet

I saw this altered both here and at La Place near New Orleans. Can anyone ID it? I can't quite make out the lettering on the door.
    [​IMG]

16. partsrivet

partsrivet

Frank Smith (Charlie Smith's brother) in his beautiful Chevy A/C from Oklahoma City.
    [​IMG]

17. partsrivet

partsrivet

Jonny Leibham from Houston gets underway in the Leibham & Shrine CC/G car. [​IMG]

18. partsrivet

partsrivet

On the long tow down from Oklahoma City, Charlie Smith encountered some difficulties and rolled his El Camino. The AA/FA was also damaged, but not enough to put it out of action. [​IMG]

19. partsrivet

partsrivet

Another view of Charlie's El Camino. It must have been a real breezy tow back to Ok City. If I remember correctly, the guys in the huge sombreros on the right were with a AA/FD from Florida-Big Bamboo maybe? Just speculation on my part. [​IMG]

20. partsrivet

partsrivet

Before the top fuel program began, the qualifiers lined up for this group photo. Division 4 Director Dale Ham asked me to get some extra shots as he was concerned the local photog was spending too much time visiting and drinking beer, a common hazard in Cajun country. In the front row are Curt and Bones Carroll from Irving TX. Driver Richard Tharp is by the tire. Next are the Burt Brothers from Tulsa, then (in the black shirt) Fred Rowsey, owner of the Keith Black powered Woody car named Banzai II. Driver Nando Hasse is in the yellow hat. Then we have Doug Mead from Sulphur, LA whose hydrazine powered car was subject to massive blower explosions. Doug has a shop towel on his head. Beyond him is Benny 'Two Motors' Osborne from Tulsa. He's wearing sunglasses and smiling at me from behind his car. Benny went on to win the World Championship in 67. More ID's in the next view.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  21. partsrivet

partsrivet

On this end of the line we have the Green Gang from Angleton TX. Sorry, I don't know their names. Then Boyd and Griffith from Oklahoma City and then the only car I have no ID on. If anyone recognizes these guys, please let me know.
    [​IMG]

22. partsrivet

partsrivet

This view is a close up of the Banzai car. Nando is on far left, then a young Bob Gibson with his hands on his hips looks at Fred Rowsey, who is probably fretting over something. Then Doug Mead and his entourage. Bob and I spent last weekend at Bowling Green while Bob cackled his Jenkins T-Bar Cortines 426 AA/FD.
    [​IMG]

23. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's a happy gathering around the Carroll Brothers car. The young guy in the t shirt is high school friend Bill Dwelle. He's hiding Curt Carroll then we see Richard Tharp and Bill 'Bones' Carroll. The Burt Brothers are on the right. Given the smiles, I must have said something funny-an old photographers trick!
    [​IMG]

24. partsrivet

partsrivet

We're getting down to business as the Burt Brothers get out on the Banzai Car (lost in the smoke) in an early round. [​IMG]

25. partsrivet

partsrivet

The last days before the slipper clutches took over.
    [​IMG]

26. partsrivet

partsrivet

Carroll Brothers vs the Green Gang. I think the Carrolls won but I'm not sure.
    [​IMG]

27. partsrivet

partsrivet

Louis Boyd lights em up.
    [​IMG]

28. partsrivet

partsrivet

29. partsrivet

partsrivet

This is A J Gilardi from New Orleans, He didn't qualify for top fuel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  30. partsrivet

partsrivet

Dick Moritz from Tulsa against an unknown opponent for Top Gas. Ya gotta love Pel State's mobile 'Tower'.
    [​IMG]