Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

2. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

3. Here are two belly tankers from bygone days. The one apart is at the Houston Autorama last year. Took some real guts to strap into that and go like a bat out of hell! Glenn

Attached Files:

4. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

That looks like a fun ride..............all you need to do is paint it Blue and it is good to go once again.

5. Here's an old racer still around and loving his ride! Enjoy. Glenn

Attached Files:

6. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

What a beautiful car and i love those wheels. Plus the blue rad housing.;)

7. Requires LOTS of metal polish!!

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This is a drag racing thread...let's keep it that way....pleeeeze!

9. Sorry.

10. I agree. Once a thread loses it's direction, it usually struggles to recover.

11. FWIW, this was taken a couple years ago at El Toro Airforce Base in Irvine Ca. It was a photo shoot with about 14 Gasser style cars for Hot Rod Magazine. Anyway, while the guys were setting up for the shoot, they gave us free reign of a 2 mile abandoned runway to play. One guy with a blown SBC in a 37 Chevy kicked the clutch disc out the clutch arm hole in the scattershield, and another kicked the rods out his tunnel rammed BBC in his "axled" Nova. Big fun. Here's Larry Fator going against a bitchen 55 (BBC set back about a FOOT) that made the trip from Bakersfield. And me, sitting on box waiting for my turn. Big fun that day

[​IMG]

12. I hope this is OK. They are not in motion, but are drag cars on display at the Detroit Auto Show this year. I agree with what you said, and did not intend to move this killer thread off track. :(Glenn

Attached Files:

13. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

[​IMG]

15. ;)Keith,your unbeleivable!Correct me if I'm wrong,but as I remember it this car arrived,totalled on its first run,never to be seen again.Vauxhall sponsored it,I havnt a clue how you managed to get a picture:eek:[​IMG][/quote]

16. Not my best pictures, but what the hell, got to post something.

Attached Files:

17. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

These shots are from site documenting a track in Blue Ridge, GA. That's north of Atlanta in the north GA mountains. www.doubleHdragstrip.com

C/4B was a class run at several GA tracks in the 60s. It stands for Cheatin' 4 Barrel.

[​IMG]

Look at the hash marks on the center line. They mark off car lengths for handicap starts. First time I've ever seen 'em.

[​IMG]

18. Re: Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is OK. They are not in motion, but are drag cars on display at the Detroit Auto Show this year. I agree with what you said, and did not intend to move this killer thread off track. Glenn

Glenn;
    That was Performance World Toronto Ontario ,this past weekend..not Detroit.
    The 33 is the ex Johnny Rocca 33 Tin Indian, Henry J belongs to the Nowe family,and the truck is John McDougall from Hamilton Ontario.
    All members of our drag race club (ONDR)
    Rick

19. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG]Here is a car I crewed on while growing up in Malden, MA., "The Hard Guys" A/FD. Shown here on the rollers at New England Dragway in Epping NH. Another cool thing from drag racings past. The roller starters were located in the pits for warming up motors. When the tracks mandated remote starters on the dragsters, eliminating push starts, the roller were no longer needed.

20. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

That 532 cubic inches on the "Mongoose's" front fender belonged to a "W" type Chevrolet engine.

21. Race Artist

Race Artist

SPECTACULAR!!!!! Best site I've seen!! Thanks for posting this.

Joel

22. 532 cu in on the fender in the 60's? WOW, I'd like to know more about that. TWO 265's with slightly worn cylinder walls?

23. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Yeah, I was wondering about that 532 on the fender too. It's a stroked 409? I just thought it was cool having a class called "cheatin' 4 barrel". At least you knew what you were getting into.

24. moparron426

moparron426

25. That's a LOT of stroke for now, let alone then. I never heard of such numbers from that era. I honestly would bet against it being possible. But, it'd be a good story

26. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

27. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

28. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

29. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

30. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Mr. John Shoemaker