Register now to get rid of these ads!

double tie rod/crossteering setup question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, May 22, 2009.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

(first off I apologize if I have a name of something wrong. I am not real knowledgeable in steering stuff)...

I am going to be using a 49 chevy truck I beam suspension with 5 lug disc drums on my 65 Ford Falcon. The 49 stock steering has a tie rod on the driver side that has an arm coming back for the tie rod to the passenger wheel. It has another arm that comes off the front and loops around to the top where the steering ties in.
    [​IMG]

Tyeing in from my stock steering pitman arm to the 49 chevy truck arm looks like it might run into some problems and I was thinking the best way to go would to be to get a passenger side double tie rod and use a crossteering setup.

From what I have read if setup correctly the crosssteering setup has less bump steer.

My question is does anybody know if there are any used parts where I can get a pair of steering arms where there is a double tie rod on the passenger side that will fit the drums that I have.

It looks like these speedway ones would work but I am trying to go low cost here...
    [​IMG]

It also looks like the 55 chevy car steering arm would work but it would put the steering arm on the front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

3. 69fury

69fury

That end is a ford taper design and you will need to have the arm on the axle reamed to the 7 1/2 degree taper (ford style) this involves a shop bill or buying the 70dollar tapered reamer yourself. The part itself is a 40's through 71ish jeep part that has been tapered from both sides in the extra hole

The speedway arms you pictured are what i wanted to use, but my 65 spindles wont accept them. (65 chevy axle, 61 Falcon)

I welded a plate of comparably thick steel to my passenger steering arm. This makes the steering arm long enough to let me drill a 5/8ths hole for a rod end to convert sidesteer to cross steer. -rick.

Last edited: May 22, 2009