Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Door locks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilmann, Dec 3, 2019.

1. lilmann

lilmann

Howdy. I’m about to get my 1950 Chevy pickup back on the road....it’s been a long time coming!

My question is how do you lock the doors on it? There’s a key hole on the passenger side door but I don’t have a key and I can’t figure out how to lock/unlock from inside the truck. I remember my Dads 1956 Ford pickup you would push the handle forward to lock the doors and obviously pull it back to open them.

On a side note I might be replacing the latches because the damn doors open if you’re trying to turn the corner and flooring the gas pedal.....I know childish and immature but damnit it’s fun!!! Then don’t appear to be original but something like the “bear claw latch” style.

Anyone used an aftermarket latch that also locks the door on a 47-55 Chevy pickup?

Thanks

IMG_3198.JPG

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Push the opposite direction on the inner door handle if i remember correctly :)

3. lilmann

lilmann

I’ll try but pretty sure nothing happens....like it doesn’t even push forward like that would be an option.

4. squirrel

squirrel

how about some pictures of the latches? If they look bear claw, then the probably were replaced with something not original, and all our good answers about how to make the original latches work right wont help you much.

also they changed the door handles/latches somewhere in the middle of the 47-55 production run, so you need to know for sure what you are working on.

lilmann likes this.

5. Post a pic of your latches so we can see what you have. Most bear claw style latches don't lock within the latch. So they are not like stock latches. Using solenoids or hidden cable or switch is how bear claws provide the security.
    A little self serving, but if your latches are Chinese bear claws, I have sold many replacement sets to cure the doors coming open problem. It's a latch quality problem with the Chinese latches, not an installation problem.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lilmann likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20191203_192854.jpg 20191203_193758.jpg 20191203_193834.jpg 20191203_192709.jpg 20191203_193104.jpg just install a passenger door lock on drivers side - yes, to lock interior passenger door handle push downward and forward - take of interior door panels and check for broken/bent parts, etc

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    lilmann and rmorris like this.
  7. lilmann

lilmann

IMG_3364.JPG IMG_3365.JPG

Here is the passenger side latch...

I’m guessing that I also need to adjust the bolt on my jamb as the door hangs out a little bit and is rubbing paint from the jamb to the door.

I’ll look into the doors and see what is missing, I can’t even push my handles forward.....

8. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Those are Altman “easy latches” by Trique mfg. Sorry, but you lost the locking feature when those were installed. I have them on mine and love them.
    I made some modifications to mine and got the locking function back but it’s no bolt in job.

lilmann likes this.
  9. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

DEE829B9-A9A2-47AF-8783-0F7BAA5574B4.jpeg Correction ! My memory failed me again. This photo of my latch is the Altman. Your’s is , as others suggested , the bear claw style, origin unknown.
    Sorry to have mislead you.

lilmann likes this.
  10. lilmann

lilmann

No worries at all....I’m going to pull the panel off and see why I can’t push the handle forgot.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Probably because there is no lock mechanism in there? The original latches are rather complicated inside, since they do have a locking mechanism.

lilmann likes this.
  12. Right, you can't push the handle forward because with the style of latch you have it doesn't have or need that feature. It's a spring loaded double click safety latch, pull your handle and it trips the spring to open the latch, when you close the door it resets.

lilmann likes this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

14. That’s a bear claw style.
    Some have a lock feature some don’t. But it will be an auxiliary knob, not incorporated into the handle like factory.

If you’re doors come open while driving with those latches there’s a bigger problem in there somewhere.
    Most likely the door pin and latch need to meshed further together but the latch may be toast.
    Those trucks had some bad fittings weather stripping that mess the door closing up. Forget who but one supplier/manufacturer is way better than the other

15. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Strictly, the term is "bear jaw", as "Bear Claw" is a trade name of the dreaded Hoffman Group.

The latch in the above pic looks like one of the better ones. Double-jaw latches like that often have higher strength ratings.