Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Door Adjustment Tool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Downs, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

A friend lent me a bunch of her late husband's books; he was an aircraft mechanic who went on to be a corporate jet pilot.

Most of the books are aircraft related but this little handbook caught my eye. Copyrighted in 1952 it has the answers to most all of the questions asked here by people new the the mysteries of old-school automobile tech.

I've never seen or heard of this door straightening tool - I doubt it would work on a modern unibody car...

Another thing that was referenced under the section on automatic transmissions was that a car equipped with a 'HYDRA-MATIC' would be started by putting the transmission selector lever in neutral then pulling the lever towards you to engage the starter. I know some of the early-mid '50's cars had unique starting procedures but I don't remember that one.

MechanicBook.jpg

DoorTool.jpg

2. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I always used a 2x4 and my shoulder.

3. I put my knee on the inside door sill and pull on the top.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Why use a tool when you can do damage to your body;)

Slick design from my eye.

RMR&C and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. I never said I was smart!;)

A 2 B, Budget36, chevyfordman and 3 others like this.
  6. Amazing what you can do with a 2X4 and leverage, thank you Archimedes

A 2 B, 57 Fargo and Guy Patterson like this.
  7. We toured the GM plant in Atlanta in the early 80's and I was amazed that where they were installing the doors a guy was using a piece of 2 x 4 and a rubber mallet aligning the doors. HRP

57 Fargo and Guy Patterson like this.
  8. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Yeah my mom used a 2x4 to align my head once when Iwas 17teen does that count?

9. Those are the kind of adjustments made when the customer is not around. I too am a 2x4, knee, shoulder etc. kind of guy.

10. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Nice find Dave. They have been muscling hoods, doors, deck lids, etc. into alignment as long as I can remember. I still have this crude tool built by my Dad, when he needed one, for twisting/straightening frames. I have used it with the long spud a few times. Primitive but puts the power where its needed. DSC06978.JPG