Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Don't put a Chevy in that.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalshapes

metalshapes

Fair enough...

I'm just making sure people know I dont think like you do, when they see me in my Ford powered Ford...:D :D

2. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I'm too tired to think of a cognitive response. I'll just say I'm amazed that it's almost unnatural to run a Ford in a Ford. Has been this way for years obviously. FoMoCo sure missed the boat somewhere, that I must admit.

3. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

The Syclone and the Typhoon are Wicked!! I would love to get my greasy hands on one...

I made a set of mounts from scratch, Now that I think about it though I could have used the mounts off a Cutlass, and then just changed the place they bolt to on the frame... They do make trans adapters for them... I don't think they have them but they seem to have a wealth of knowledge, email Mondello and ask if they know of one...or there is Bendtsen's if they don't have one...they can make one. What kind of truck do you have?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  4. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

you want different, you want reliable and fuel efficient? you want GOD LOADS of torque? well then, lets see if we can all think outside of the box for a moment.

what do you guys think when i say 478 GMC?

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/Jolly-478v6.htm

5. senior fried

senior fried

I think Big Mac got this one right and not because he is from Texas . He is just right! :D

6. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

many odd parts aranged randomly ?

7. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Lmao! This guy was a little disapointed...After I got done handing him his ass I went back to the carwash and started to scrape the rubber out of my wheel wells:cool:.

8. mcload

mcload

I like to stay true to the car mfg. and the period. The Venus chassis was '49 Ford, but engine was a '51 Merc FH. That was close enough for me. If performance and speed were the issue, then I would have just dropped a Corvette engine in her. I rebuilt the engine myself with all new parts over a 6 month period. Can't wait to hear that flathead sound!
    My 2 cents.

Attached Files:

9. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

I used to say i would never put a sbc in anything bt an sbc, but when my olds motor came out and the head was off the cyl, was toast, and sleeving a motor is very expensive and then there was the slim jim trans the cost was crazy for the drive train and then there is the body and suspension work to do. i just figgured that to make my 63 olds the most enjoyable car the fastest safest way was to go sbc. just my.02

10. BOHICA

BOHICA

I don't think the 5-speeds in '88+ GM trucks are capable of handling a 455's power.

11. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

My Old Plymouth Ain't Running?

Many Ordered Parts And Repairs?

Many Oil Puddles And Rust?

Before the MOPAR guys get too bent out of shape, I've got a 68 Road Runner in the garage, so back off. It does have a SBC in it though.:D

12. BOHICA

BOHICA

WTF? lol

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If this thread keeps going long enough with all the rampant scrapping going on, SBC's might actually become rare and then cool again to use - maybe after GM goes belly up for putting too many chips in their SUV/Hummer basket and giving the future the big FU a few years back. Unfortunately, it's going to take a little more than the resurrection of one of America's most "iconic" motors to save their asses now. It is going to take some brains at the top, which unless they have actually refreshed some chairs with some new asses, isn't likely. So, might actually be a good idea to stash a few now for later use.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Mopar.....Move Over, Power Approaching Rapidly.
    Massively Over Powered and Respected.

You do know what Pontiac stands for........right???;)

Someday, I'd love to build a '57 Chevy, gasser......with a 440.:D

15. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I'd like to put a Ford 427 high riser, tunnel port, or better yet a S.O.H.C. motor in a original 427 4 speed equiped 67 vette, I'd know the vette guy's would just really love that!:D

16. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Most Over Priced Auto Restoration,
    Most often Parked and Rusting
    and I think Darryl Waltrip said it best on The Johnny Carson show..."What does it stand for? Nothin...it means what it says...More Power...I need More Power!"

:D I keed, I keed. if it was built in the states, I don't hate.

17. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

The 5spd should beable to take it...Not a built 455 But a mild one shouldn't hurt it....Don't hold me to it though..... I'm just some dumbassed kid who knows a thing or twelve about his oldsmobiles..

But then again the 2 big engines they bolted up to that 5spd where the 7.4L/454 or the super lame 6.5L Diesel...410lbft for the 7.4L and 520lbft for the 6.5L...The old 455s had I believe 500lbft...the smogeaters 390 or 400 I think...Wicked engines for trucks..my 425 is a stump puller for sure. I've contemplated putting the 500cad that is going in the back of my '29/30 Pontiac RPU in my truck...but then the Poncho wouldn't be as mean or unique...Not that a rear engined '29 Pontiac RPU isn't unique...but when you slam a 500cad back there it gets peoples attention....Everyone who sees the pieces laying in the shop thinks I'm insane...but they need a reality check...I am insane:eek:

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahaha.....I can dig it LUX......although looking at resto parts for my wife's '66 Impala, parts are more $$ for it than my '68 Charger.:eek:

I'm a musclecar kinda guy, so pretty much ANYTHING after @ '72 sucks......
    MoPar....short for MOtor PARts.......:)

19. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

I was just kidding about the Road Runner having a SBC. That one belongs to the wife and she bleeds Hemi Orange. It has a MOPAR 383 and a 4 spd, but it may have to find a new home, since she is all warm and fuzzy over the new Challenger. My 41 Willys is another story. I've got a 454 sitting over in the corner for it, but may have to change options because of the gas prices. I can afford to build it, but worry about being able to feed it afterwards.

20. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I'm a musclecar kinda guy, so pretty much ANYTHING after @ '72 sucks......

See, We could hang out. The only 100 percent rule in the shop is NOTHING MADE AFTER 1973. (There were some "stragglers" in 73 that were still livable.):D

21. hot rod rich

hot rod rich
    from NorCal

we put an olds rocket engine in our 65 burban. some hate it some love it but it scoots!

22. chopped

chopped

I learned a lot from this and here is the decision. SBC and a sign, "If you don't like the engine buy the car and do it your way" I'd put a Buick in but I'm afraid the restorers would try and be my friend and their way too weird for me.

23. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Easy- not all restorers are "just restorers". I build Hot rods...but restoration work can pay the same bills!

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Where is it and how much is it? Maybe I'll save it from it's fate... :eek::rolleyes::D

I have yet to do any "real" restoration work. :D

25. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

Always good to see another Chevelle on the road... :) Messin with you..

26. chopped

chopped

I'm gonna laugh about that all day! I did just come across a Buick but it was in a "drifter" car and 600mi. away

27. repoguy

repoguy

Who cares what kinds of engines other people put in their cars.

The real problem is that there are too many dudes out there trying to tell other people what to do. Build your own car and mind your own business.

28. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Sbc are just plane ugley. Look at the exhaust headers ugley out of balance. Thay look like an after thought. And whats with the distributer in the back of the engine what jurk thought that one up. Enough i'am going out and polish my sbf.

29. I got your mill in the garage buddy.
    lem kniw when your ready, I'll go by Don Mann's place and have him cut the cylinders and slap it together for ya.

I can always run a 283 in the altered.:D

30. I'd like to have an older Ford GT (I don't remember the number so you'll have to help me out here Mr Shapes) if I could just figure out how to make it faster. :D

Not many cars I'd like to own the way they came from the factory. Maybe a '39 Bugatti or a Stutz, naw I'd probably mess with one of those too. Gawd, could someone please save me from myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.