Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Don't put a Chevy in that.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilone0528

evilone0528

Are you trying to say he should leave it stock?I hope you were kidding......

EVIL

2. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

How maney 305 are called 350's?

3. 1oldrat

1oldrat

Nothing boring about a sbc.I have had small olds and big olds motors,small block fords.Sbc' are fun and easy.Olds and buick motors are cool.

4. chopped

chopped

The 455 may be a moot point. I can only get it to go 1/8 of a turn.

5. You got your wish .. I won't like it ... :D

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

This Thread is not complete without Duntov's Memo...

<TABLE dir=ltr cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><!--msnavigation--><TD vAlign=top>
    [SIZE=+2]Thoughts Pertaining To Youth, Hot Rodders, And Chevrolet[/SIZE]
    <HR align=center width=300 color=#000000 SIZE=1>The Hot Rod movement and interest in things connected with hop-up and speed is still growing. As an indication: the publications devoted to hot rodding and hop-upping, of which some half dozen have a very large circulation and are distributed nationally, did not exist some six years ago.
    From cover to cover, they are full of Fords. This is not surprising that the majority of hot rodders are eating, sleeping, and dreaming modified Fords. They know Ford parts from stern to stern better than Ford people themselves.
    A young man buying a magazine for the first time immediatly becomes introduced to Ford. It is reasonable to assume that when hot rodders or hot rod-influenced persons buy transportation, they buy Fords. As they progress in age and income, they graduate from jalopies to second-hand Fords, then to new Fords.
    Should we consider that it would be desirable to make these youths Chevrolet-minded? I think that we are in a position to carry out a successful attempt. However, there are many factors againt us:
    - 1.Loyalty and experience with Ford.
    - 2.Hop-up industry is geared with Ford.
    - 3.Law of number-thousands are and will be working on Fords for active competition.
    - 4.Appearance of Ford’s overhead V8, now one year ahead of us.

When a superior line of GM V8’s appeared, there where remarkably few attempts to develop these, and none too successful. Also, the appearance of the V8’s Chrysler was met with reluctance even though the success of Ardun-Fords conditioned them to the acceptance of Firepower.
    This year is the first one in which isolated Chrysler development met with succsess. The Bonneville records are divided between Ardun-Fords and Chryslers.
    Like all people, hot rodders are attracted by novelty. However, bitter experience has taught them that new development is costly and long, and therefore they are extremely conservative. From my observation, it takes an advanced hot rodder some three years to stumble toward the successful development of a new design. Overhead Fords will be in this stable between 1956 and 1957.
    The slide rule potential of our RPO V8 engine is extremely high, but to let things run their natural course will put us one year behind-and then not too many hot rodders will pick Chevrolet for development. One factor which can largely overcome this handicap would be the availability of ready-enginered parts for higher output:
    If the use of the Chevrolet engine would be made easy and the very first attempts would be crowned with succsess, the appeal of the new RPO V8 engine will take hold and not have the stigma of expensiveness like the Cadillac or Chrysler, and a swing to Chevrolet may be anticipated.This means the development of a range of special parts-camshafts, valves, springs, manifolds, pistons, and such-should be made available to the public.
    To make good in this field, the RPO parts must pertain not only to the engine but to the chassis coponents as well. In fact, the use of light alloys and brake development, such as composite drums and discs, are already on the agenda of the Research and Development group.
    These thoughts are offered for what they are worth-one man’s thinking aloud on the subject.
    Signed: Z. Arkus-Duntov
    dated: 12/16/53

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7. chopped

chopped

Worth bringing up for the day guys.

8. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I've had Chevy 350's and they run like the scalded cat. They are good, sound motors, and parts are readily available and cheap.

That being said, I don't buy Chevy's because I don't want to drop in a belly button.

Personally, being a "hot rodder" means being a bit different, an individual who builds stuff to personal style using quality materials. I like the idea of being an individual and a bit different. I don't like being a part of the herd or a "sheeple". The cars I'm interested in seldom, if ever, are the standard build of 350/350 or 302 (390)/C6.

But as always, different strokes for different folks. Build it your way even if that is just like 80% of the others out there.

9. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Wouldn't go that far... Here's what you should have said....

10. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

I'd hardly consider that a sin.......sounds like a wicked little set-up.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Did Your momma drop You on Your head when You were a baby?.....

12. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

i love sbc. naysayers? fuck 'em!

13. Fiorano

Fiorano

the SBC can do mighty things and cheaper than most
    what's wrong with some USA iron?

14. Steve

Steve

I agree haven't we seen pictures of broken MII front ends under heavy cars like a 55 PU.

15. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

i say that if you MUST drop a chevy engine into a non chevy gm car...go over the top. make it a huge cubic inch, big block monster....make it worth it. the small block chevy is just so hum-drum these days. (but they can make loads of power, for less $$) but really, nothing beats the looks of a classic pontiac mill, in a pontiac, or an olds, in an olds, etc.
    just my 4.5 cents (inflation).

16. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I run a sbf with no hood. Iam travling with a guy with a sbc. We hit rain he stalls. I have a scoop sucking up all that water my ford keeps on and on. My engine is from a junk yard his is from the top bilder in this area.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thats not because its an SBC dude..and you know it.

shit Ive got a chevy motor that has sucked up more water than a submarine and still run..that is definetly a poor argument for Ford VS Chevy

thats my ignition and carb. are better than my buddies that happens to own a chevy motor..glad i cleared that up eh?

18. No imagination necessary with a SBC build, none whatsoever. "Me, too! Me, too!" I walk up to a non-Chevy at a show or a cruise and see a SBC under the hood, I keep going. You see one, you see them all.

Put in a flattie, a Hemi or other MoPar engine, a Stude, a Caddy...NOW we're talking! Now you get people to look at whatcha got! A SBC...ho-hum, next!

That's why my Chevy coupe build is going to have either a Stovebolt Six of some sort, or a 440 MoPar engine! If I put a 350 in it, it would be just another, boring 350 rod, no matter what the engine, or the rest of the car, looked like!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  19. Tony

Tony

Every time a post debating the sbc come's up i can't help but think about the guy's, like myself, who actually run one because they LIKE them, not because of easy this or easy that....
    I will admit though, most post's are very interesting with all the opinions..and yes, sbc's are typical and boring, so am i :D:D

20. teddyp

teddyp

put a chevy in anything you like and let them cry and nothing more boreing then this thread there are a lot driffrent ways all motors can be built a 283 the most old school motor used a hemi most sock factor .a flathead pretty motor when dress y-block (i think a great looking and running) caddy.olds and lets not forget the inline,s all great but boreing none all great but someone so stuck on one make motor you are whats boreing just my 2 cents

21. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Sheeeeshhh.... put an end to this thread already... got a 34 cheby pickem up truck with a 327,offy intake and 3 rochesters... I dont care if you got a buick motor,hemi or a space shuttle engine. If you used what you could afford and was redily available good for you!.Mission accomplished. it's rollin!. Just keep it rolling and see you on the road...Lets face it nailheads,hemi's,flatheads in hot rods is not as uncommon anyways.. Someones done it just painted it different color. haha

22. Ya know, I think most of the derogatory comments about the SBC come from Edelbrock engines run in pastel painted, tweed upholstered cars.

By Edelbrock engine, I mean Edelbrock rocker covers, air cleaners etc.
    When the modern looking Edelbrock stuff first came out, most guys thought they were very good looking . . . and they are, just that they got so popular that everyone ran them.

Note that I'm not knocking Edelbrock here, he'da been rather stupid to not see how popular the bolt-on's had become and not keep churning them out.

Thing to keep in mind about the SBC, when it hit the hot rod scene in the 50's, it was a little uncommon, it wasn't known as a small block and we didn't appreciate at first that it was small, compact and lightweight.

What we did see was that the engine hauled ass and the 283 - and some built 265's - in darned near anything would give our Rocket Motors, Nailhead and Caddy engine swap Shoeboxes, 40's and 50's Chevy's a bad time and kick some serious ass at times.

What we didn't realize was that the little engine coud breathe and it wasn't long until we were standing in line at the trophy shack window waiting for our C/Gas trophy and listening to the D/Gas Chevy guys talking about the latest head and commenting on how well their engines breathed with that head.

Some of the more experienced guys who were real serious about going fast recognized the little Chevy engine for what it was.
    Small, lightweight, could rev out of this world - 10 grand in some cases - breathed well and made some serious horsepower.

Once they figured out how to light the fire at 8 grand and up as well as keep the valve train together and more importantly what worked in the bottom end.
    There were some blowups when these engines came unglued that woulda made a fuel driver proud.

Nothing in the world quite like hearing a roller cammed 57 or so Corvette going through the gears at Santa Maria dragstrip, touching on nine grand and listening to one guy in particular row the 4-speed.
    He made the hydro's sound like slugs in the shift dept.

Some of the knocking from the don't-like-SBC troops sounds like a bunch of 14 year olds whining at Chucky Cheese.

Geezus, run the engine you want and if you can even keep up with the little Chevy, then you've got a right to bitch.

Until then, knock off the GD whining about an American Icon engine.

Gettin' a little tired of it, ya know?

23. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

1960 Buick, 305/200 4r......20 MPG.

If this pisses you off.....you need a hug!:D

Attached Files:

24. RacerRick

RacerRick

My 57' Pontiac is getting a little 305 in it dressed up a a 283. How much bitching will there be about that? My car was originally equipped from the factory with a 283!

25. Methinks thou doest worry too much.

Do your 283 rocker covers say Pontiac on them?
    Would be most cool if they do.

So . . . let's think about who's doing the bitching and whining in real life.
    You know, the guys who walk up and knock your choice of engine no matter what it is.

So far, where my Buick engined roadster is concerned, not a one of these complainers own a hot rod, more than likely couldn't build a serious one if they had to nor would they own one if given a chance.
    All they're doing is trying to drag you down to their level of misery.

Strangest one of all was a guy who was practically frothing at the mouth cuz I was running Buick and not a Chevy small block.

The disparaging and all goes both ways no matter what you do, so the key thing is, don't sweat it....:cool:

26. novadude

novadude

I think this says it all. :)

I am SBC all the way! A flathead would just be stupid under the hood of my Chevy II. ;):D

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

personally i think the nail head is becoming the new "Belly button" engine:eek:

yes I did say that just to piss you off:D

oh theres a Nail head in that A or 32..Next!..and another one..and another one

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  28. Searcher

Searcher

That would hold water with a one off or low numbers car, but they made lot's of Ford's. We'll run out of gas before we run out of old Fords.
    I do agree they are art like in that they were made in a time when making something beautiful was ahead of profits.

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'd be surprised if making a profit came second to anything for Ol' Henry...:D

30. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

This has to be one of the best posts ever on the internet. I really wish I lived closer to you, I bet you have some kickass stories to tell. I was just looking at a saved pic I have of your old shoebox with the tach mounted in the clock hole in what appeared to be the 50's. Kudos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.