Register now to get rid of these ads!

done went and did it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by y-oh-y, Oct 9, 2012.

1. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

Got tired of my clients looking worried when I showed up to do a job in my calico truck, and with winter coming on, she needed paint. $20 of impliment paint, a $45 spray gun and 4 hours later it was done. Since this was my very first attempt at painting I wasn't going to chance wasting $100's on good paint.

The first time around the paint went on good and smooth with a high gloss, I hated it. The gloss showed every dent, dimple, tweak and bend that wern't there before I started spraying. I'm not much of a shiny paint type anyway so right after I had the last area covered I cranked up the pressure and the feed, stood back 4 or 5 feet and basicly fogged the whole truck. Doing that gave me a matte finish with a slight texture to it, This I liked, and it hid a multitude of sins.

I got the paint job I needed, for a price I could afford, and if it makes it till spring I'll be happy.

Thank You HAMB, the info on here has been a blessing.

Attached Files:

2. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Well done.. congrats

3. Looks MUCH better.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Ditto!!!.... :)

5. Looks pretty good in the picture. If you're happy I'm happy. :D

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I think it looks great! ;)

7. Kramer

Kramer

Looks way better, now change your avatar.

8. Mart

Mart

Nice to see you rockin' slot mags.

Don't forget you don't just run slots, you ROCK 'em.:)

Love the truck, used to have a '58 myself.

Mart.

9. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

Thank you all very much.

It's amazing the things you learn as you actually do something yourself.

Did you know that missing a 3" piece of tape on windshield masking lets enough paint under the paper to lightly coat most of the glass? 4 seconds to complete the tape or 1 hour to clean the glass, won't happen again.
    Did you know that chickens know what wet paint is ? I have 20 free range birds that are used to being let out of their coop around 7:00 am. Me being somewhat inteligent figgered it might be a good idea to keep them locked up until I was done painting. I let them out about an hour after I was done and do you know 15 of them ran to just outside the area of my dirt driveway I had wet down and proceded to take dust baths there. Thankfuly they were downwind.
    I know that scratches and scrapes will happen but I was hopeing the paint would stay intact for a few days. When you are working on the tailgate and the wife asks if it's ok to let the dogs out, shaking your head no does not work, that instance needs a vocal response. 3- 80lb dogs thought they were going for a ride, all I could do was laugh.......