Register now to get rid of these ads!

Done it myself interior

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastrnu, Jul 9, 2009.

1. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Well I finally got tired of my old restraunt seat and decided to take a shot at doing some padding on it. So off to Foam and Fabric I go. I grab some 1/2" foam to cover the high density stuff that I scavaged and get some fabric. I sprayed bottom of the seat with adhesive and stuck down the 2.5" high density foam. Next I sprayed the entire seat with adhesive and rolled on the 1/2" foam. Now its starting to look almost like I knew what I was doing. I tried to stretch the fabric over the entire seat but it kept gettin wierd in the mddle of the curved area. My 12yo son comes up with the idea of seperating the field. (Dont ask me) He says if we make 2 seperate fields it will work better. So we fold the material in half and lay it on the bottom half of the seat. I take an old piece of Oak trim , drill it at 5" spacing and use 1/2" roofing nails to stick it to the seat at just about the tailbone area.
    Next we flip the folded material up onto the back of the seat and pull and mount the bottom materil down with roofing nails and hot glue. Boy does that stuff stick it down. Next we did the top half with hot glue only.
    We mounted the seat and took it for a ride. Wow what a diference. Now we are way confident. Off to Home Depot and Foam and Fabric for some more fabric and 1/2" foil backed insulation board. Were takin a shot at inside panels. Worked awsome. Total cost $100 Total time, a day hanging with my son building on the Hot Rod. PRICELESS !!!!!

BTW: Once we got the panels in he comes up with " Dad we need to use contrasting defining lines to break up the field. We should paint these yellow to match the paint scheme and break it up. Pull the seat. Remove all the panels. Shoot it up and reassemble it. Bunch more work but i'm he got it right. Thanks Luke!! way to go playdough!!

Attached Files:

2. damnfingers

damnfingers

Did Halloween come early this year?

3. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Where are the skullz?

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

where the iron cross at

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

Has a Barris feel to it...

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

ha. good

8. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Might not be everyones cup of tea on here , but you did it yourself and that is what counts. Good for you.

9. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

dont let anyone eat nachos in there,...that material looks like it would suck up some cheese sauce.

and good on ya for doing it yourself. seems like interiors and electrical wiring are the two things most guys are afraid to try and do themselves and wouldnt you know both of those done properly make a rod just that much nicer to drive.

your truck is something you built and are proud of,...and the interior is just another notch in your belt of "i did it myself".

10. concreteman

concreteman

Great replay ,it's your Hot Rod and you did it yourself :cool::cool:

11. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Thanks!

12. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Surely not my style, but I like the fact that you jumped in and did it. That's what hot rodding is all about. I've seen photos of cars built "back in the day" that I hated, so it just goes to show you that there are different tastes. Do what you like.

13. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Kudos on doin it yourself! Build what you like but the cool part is "doin stuff with your kids!" And because it's workin on rods together just makes it that much cooler!
    Stay cool! haha

14. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I see cars at every show that I don't care for, so what do I do? I just turn and walk away keeping any comments to myself. I see thats not the case on here... bash em if you hate em... gee, I didn't know there where that many super cool bad ass guys. If bashing someones car makes you one, I'll just keep turning and walking away.

15. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

It's easy to bash on the internet but not to their face! Good job on taking on a project and enjoying it!

16. teisco

teisco

The bashing on here reminds me of a street rod club I was briefly in in the 80's. They voted on new members while the nervous app was present and opinions were expressed. I brought a friend in and some did not like the color of his car or maybe his shirt was to big,,but anyway they voted him out. I left and never came back.

Same thing here, some guys seem intent on weeding new members out by ridicule or unkind remarks. I been bashed here many times but my skin has gotten thicker over the years so the puke from these A holes just rolls off.

17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

your son will always remember that you took the time to do that with him. those are the kind of memories that mean the most....

18. this thing is a "odd rod" that looks cool and is built very well (i could do without the spider web grill) Keep on truckin man:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm imagining the bashers to be the proverbial 90# weaklings with water transfer tats on their arms - internet tough guys. Would they have the balls to approach you face-to-face and say derogatory things about your ride? Probably not. And they probably never did anything on their own cars themselves.......if they even HAVE a car.

In any event, you did a nice job yourself and learned a lot doing it. You have every right to be proud of it. Congrats!

20. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

The idea of you and your son working together is what it is all about. Like said before those are the memories that will be passed down from generation to generation in your family. That is what this shit is all about. Granted this Hot rod may not fit everyones idea of a perfect rod but it fits you and your son so have fun and keep building. I am also sure you are already thinking of what you might have done differently with the interior. So next time it will be a little easier and so on and so forth. congrats on your attemp and drive that thing until the cob webs fall off...........lol......

21. madpiper

madpiper

trust me this thing looks better in person. The pictures just don't do it justice. good work there !!

22. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Thanks for the response guys. a bunch were uplifting some were humorus, considering my last Iron Cross was on a "PeeChee" that I burned in 1968.

23. The Gambler

The Gambler

AMEN and you got to work with your kid PRICELESS..GOOD job!

24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I'd build a 2,000 pound bag of shit with my Dad if he was still here...

Like what was said it may not be everyones cup of tea, but you built it.

Time for some of the internet tough guys to post their shit.

25. I have to agree with all the POSITIVE statements GREAT JOB - doesnt matter whoe likes it as long as YOU & YOUR SON are happy -I have a teen nephew-bought him a roller cabinet and tools-lost interest 2yrs ago-but I have a 7yr old niece(BIG AL) that I cant get to NOT help in the shop-she has helped with bleeding brakes on Harleys and the Hot Rods -great at fetching tools-wants a roadster with an old Hemi and 6 carbs for a first car

26. vertible59

vertible59

We did the inside of an Austin Bantam hotrod in that same material, except it was emerald green. Looked good to me and the customer who picked it out loved it. That was what really counted. Also, your son will never forget working on your truck.

27. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

I saw that Green, cool color. I made the mistake of telling the wife that in comes in a royal(ish) blue. Shes now wanting me to paint the truck Blue metalflake and do the interior with the Royal Blue.
    I'm tellin her to wait and we'll do her 29 coupe with the blue and get off MY truck. Help me out here guys shes bigger then me and hits pretty hard. LOL

28. WWright

WWright

Looks great! That is what it is all about. Do it yourself and time with with family.

29. 47 ford

47 ford

could not have said it better.....

good job

30. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy