Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Don Nowell Rodders Journal feature.RIP Don.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Just got my new RJ, a GREAT feature on our own (sorta ) Don Nowell and his bitchin' gasser from the Golden Age of rodding and racing! A TRUE GASSER racer, not a jacked up modern POS poseur, but a B/G runner here in SoCal in the 1960's.
    The story goes into great detail of Don, his Dad, his racing heritage and strip exploits!

You guys spring for a Rodders Journal and read about a HAMBER who was the real deal.

RIP DON> When I wrote this I did not know he had passed. RIP Don, a great guy.

don nowell.jpg DonNowell1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Stogy, wicarnut, Special Ed and 15 others like this.
  2. The real deal. Don will be missed.He was there when it happened.

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

Great car and well deserved

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great press in a great periodical. Excellent job and well done ride.

J.Ukrop and Gary Reynolds like this.

5. belair

belair

6. ...one of my all-time favorite 37's ,...can't wait to get my issue in the mail,..Don's car inspired my 37 build...
    37 coupe 5-10 016.jpg

7. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Good friend now has the Gasser in Scottsdale AZ Dan Miller

catdad49 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Just got my copy yesterday, in a matter of minutes my bud calls me up and tells me theres a pic of my car on pg 109:D My 37 has that exact shade of brown primer and americans. Have always loved Don's 37 ! CONGRATS DON!

catdad49 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  9. elgringo71

elgringo71

I am looking forward to getting my copy of Rodders Journal. Sounds like it is going to be a good one.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  10. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

11. jimdillon

jimdillon

Beautiful car that most assuredly deserves a RJ feature article. There was one that ran occasionally at local Michigan tracks in the mid to late 60s. Great looking cars.

12. catdad49

catdad49

There were several great '37's featured in the mags of that era, but this one was primo on all accounts. Still get excited when I see a great looking one, Don built a Fine one! And Yes, it's one of the few models that I still have.

jnaki likes this.
  13. 28rpu

28rpu

Rodder's Journal says that Don Nowell has passed. RIP Don.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I just received some info from TRJ, very sad news about Don. Over the last few years, I spent many enjoyable hours on the phone with Don. Even in his poor health, he never felt sorry for himself, and even though it was a struggle just to stand, he produced some amazing stuff ! RIP Old Friend.

15. I did not know. What can I say. I "conversed " on the HAMB several times.A true racer always, never an egotist.
    Very sorry to hear this, thanks Marty for letting us know.
    RIP Don.

Stogy and jnaki like this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

I too am saddened to hear of Don's passing. The truly great don't need to brag, the truth lies in what they do!! Thanks to ALL of Them, they are what most of us strive for, whether we know it or not. If you see one, just walk up, shake their hand and tell them Thanks.

17. That is sad news, I admired his car.
    I didn't know why I keep thinking this or I'm crazy, but I thought I saw Don's car for sale in the HAMB classifieds. I think it was a month ago or so.
    Well I'm glad he got some recognition in the Rodders Journal. RIP Don.

Stogy and Gary Reynolds like this.
  18. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Love the car, enjoyed his posts and can't wait for the mailman to bring my copy so I can learn more about both.
    R.I.P Mr. Nowell

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I too was one of the fortunate ones here to share phone conversations with Don.
    This man did it all, he didn't want any more than to have the history of the things he was
    involved in and his accomplishments reflect his desire to show he gave it his best and do it with class.
    Based on what I've read about Don and my conversations with him he accomplished his lifes' goals.
    RIP my friend.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @Gary Reynolds for sharing Dons unfortunate passing. Was there a thread for him? I say alot of condolences here...a fact of life. What was his name on here? And yes that was one cool racing machine he had.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  21. His name here was D.N.D.
    I feared the worst when he didn't reply to my conversation here.
    Really, I think he was the most knowledgable from an "I was there as a racer" guy on REAL 60's gas classers on the HAMB.
    It was Marty and 28rpu that informed me. I had no idea. I hope that he at least got to see the story in print.
    How much does it suck to finally get your due....then......pass away.
    Such is life. I find myself saying that far too often these days.

catdad49, Special Ed, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  22. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don and I spoke several times over the phone, both about the problems I was having with an engine (and he was extremely knowledgeable, he has forgotten more than a lot of us know) as well as life in general. He was far more than a gasser/engine builder, if you want to learn about some of his O/T talent check out this website. http://writingdisorder.com/don-nowell/

catdad49, jnaki, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  23. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Don was a good friend of mine, and gave a lot of advice on my gasser project. I also tried to help him sell some of his art when the finances were tough from his sickness. He will be missed, Gary

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Joey Ukrop wrote the story, and from what I remember he did see a copy of the article. I first got a call from Don in the late 90's, as he was busy building models and wanted some dimensions off my #7 Track Roadster. When we re-united on this forum I learned just how many different projects he had been involved with, and the giants of the industry he had worked with. He was clearly one of the most talented, humble people I have ever known.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well there are several memorial threads going on. I'm here so I give condolences to the Nowell family and friends on Dons passing.

Regards,
    Stogy

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

At a time when there seems to be such a misconception as to what a "gasser" is supposed to be or looks like etc, it was refreshing to see an original owner of a real deal chime in once and a while. His talents appeared to be self evident. RIP Don.

catdad49, jnaki and HunterYJ like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Condolences to Don's family and friends. He was true racer and builder. His drawings are so detailed that it is very impressive. But, he was so adamant about the look of the true "gas coupes and sedans," from the stance, no external gas tank, to just simple lettering without massive sponsors, etc.

Jnaki
    There are many photos on the HAMB of his race car and this is one that hits home...a happy racer with his build.
    upload_2017-9-28_8-30-55.png
    upload_2017-9-28_8-8-6.png
    upload_2017-9-28_8-8-58.png

28. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

A good life chasing your dreams and making em happen. RIP Don.

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I just got my RJ and really enjoyed reading about Don's life.
    Sounds like we could have been great friends if life had brought us together as I was much like him as a youngster.

Does anyone know if Don was a man of faith?
    I'd like to think that I could meet him one day.

RIP Don.