Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don (DJ) Jackowski - Flatdog has passed away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Lancaster, Apr 14, 2008.

1. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

...and I could swear the lights flickered when he refered to DJ's "32 Ford"

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

An overall amazing person. Never met him though we live so close, but he offered me his knowledge and spare parts on more than a dozen occasions. He will be greatly missed by the HAMB among many others.

My sympathy to the family.

3. Holy Crap! I just saw this . . . have been out of town.

FlatDog was one hell of a nice guy . . . I feel so bad for his family and broad set of friends. He and I chatted almost every month or so about flatheads, flatheads race engines, Harley flatheads, black powder guns, family, his two sons, his daughter (he was so proud of them) . . . you get the point. I've done lots of "imagineering" with Don about cam designs, combustion chambers, porting, heads --- he had such a wonderful personality and was so open about everything he was doing. I'm really going to miss that man and all the conversations waiting to be had.

Don was one of the absolute best -- we've lost a true HAMB friend. My heart goes out to his family and all that he touched. God will have a special place for him.

4. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I hope every Flathead on the east coast showed up for his last round.
    and dam he was only 56 ? that`s way to young .

5. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Hi there, Dj's daughter Cory here. Thank you all so much for your kind words. Just wanted to let everyone know that A.B. Shuman and I will be going to the Jalopy Showdown on the 17th with my dad's car. I look forward to meeting some of you there.

6. Where is the Jalopy Showdown? I think it is WAY cool that you're taking your Pop's car out - that is exactly what he'd want . . . and you can bet he'll be right by your side the whole time.

Dale

7. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Hey Cory are you guys gonna roll out with us on friday? I'll trade you Tim for A.B. :)

8. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

9. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I met DJ at Bonneville in 2005, I am so saddened by his untimely passing.

I helped AB Shuman pick up the Fatdog Express in Wyoming on the way back from Bonneville in 2006 and fondly remember following it all the way back to New Jersey.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family at this difficult time.

10. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I Thought that would wake you up Tim....wired the mag today, did you talk to Cory and AB?

11. Flatpuppy

Flatpuppy

Cory here, I figured i would make a user name for my brother and I. I talked to tim about the show a couple of weeks ago. he said you guys were planning on camping the night before. My mom is coming also, so AB and us are going out saturday morning.

12. RARITANVIC

RARITANVIC
    from New Jersey

This is VIC and I am privileged to be able to say that DJ (Don) was like a dad to me. He shared his family with me. He shared his home with me. DJ let me race his beloved '34 flattie (the red car) at Island Dragway. He was there for me in the lowest times of my life when I was alone. DJ trusted me to care for his dogs and his home when he was away. He took me to Rhinebeck. He took me to to Macungie, and to Lead East. He introduced me to Don Garlits. DJ built the transmissions that I won many races with in my famous Oldsmobile Cutlass. He went out of his way for me many times. He advised me on axles when I was building my "Littlebluewagon" nitrous oxide truck. It was because of DJ that I was chosen by Johnny Olsen to handle his alcohol altered dragster, go to Indy and win. DJ was a genius, he was a family man, he was a friend, he believed in god and he fixed problems. I share things with my wife and my son that I learned from him. I will always love him. My best always to Karen, Cory and Zach. I am not far away.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

He was a true scientist in his approach to engines...find the problem areas, model possible fixes, search available literature, find a new way that is proveable. He could teach almost anyone how to think...and how to do research. He did not have any education in engineering, so he invented everything himself, coming up with physical tests of flow, studying old patents, always hypothesizing, inventing, and testing. He invented a truly scientific approach all his own and relentlessly studied everything he could get hold of to support his own carefully detailed experiments. Every conversation I ever had with him taught me something or gave me a new problem to ponder. He never assumed anything without full testing.
    And the really rare part: He was a determined, competitive, pushing the edge racer who was actually able to keep family and friends up front at all times. That is really, really rare...

14. RARITANVIC

RARITANVIC
    from New Jersey

Hi Johnny, Its Vic, it was great to talk to you. As I told you I learned about DJ about 3 weeks ago, and am still dealing with it. I'm doing all right and need your address again so I can snail mail you pictures and stuff. I also want you to come here the next time you're in NJ. Still have lots of video you havent seen, and some of me racing DJ,s red 34.

15. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.