Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Doin' a woody?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CapeCodBob, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Here's some inspiration.

The 39 guy, wizzo, 40FORDPU and 9 others like this.
  2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a woody guy but that work is impressive!

3. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Wow, that’s got me totally inspired. Did you have templates to go by? Or are you just know what you were doing?

4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

He looks like the same guy that did the woodwork on the '40 Ford that Boyd Coddington did. After he did all the work and got everything to line up perfectly on the stock frame, the guys at BCHR removed the body and placed it on an aftermarket chassis. Guess what, nothing fit any longer . DUH!! He had to return and do it again. Anyone that has ever done a Woodie can tell you, it's not like metal. Make a mistake with metal and it can be fixed a number of ways. Screw up a $500 piece of maple and it's over.

5. Dammit Man, he sure made short work of that timber
    Dad was an amateur basement woodworker, so I grew up with sawdust in my veins. A Woody Hot Rod is my ultimate dream car.
    Love that BFH

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Makes me want to bring home my pal Rene's woodie and build it,it's been sitting for about 15 years now. HRP

jakespeed63 likes this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Beautiful work and kudos to you. Love the car! Measure twice, cut once. I've always had a soft spot for woodies and now I know how much work goes into one. Any updates on the car?
    http://warriorwagons.co/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  8. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

That's Cool! Inspiration for getting our Shop Woody goin.

Attached Files:

9. Great craftsmanship.

10. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Oh man, IMPRESSED!

It’s hard to imagine they EVER mass produced woodie wagons. I assume there were no powered portable planers in those days, maybe even no portable belt sanders? I also assume someone - a subcontractor? Made kits and assembly line workers installed them with a BFH and hand planers? Just SO much tedious work to get them “right” - to the degree anything was ever really “right” from the factory.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ford had there own forests and mills. I belive woodies were built in there own plant.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  12. I'm going to do a woodie one day. Probably a phantom one of some kind.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  13. BJR

BJR

Isn't that an oxymoron?:p

14. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

Ford had there own forests and mills....Iron Mountian. $500 dollar piece of maple? i've got some 24
    " wide clear cherry 5/4 sawn and sticker dried 5 yrs and can't get near that money.

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

You sir, are a true craftsman! Bravo!!

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

[QUOTE=" I've always had a soft spot for woodies and now I know how much work goes into one."

Oxymoron or wishful thinking?

17. i did one Woodie , a `49 Ford....never again!

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful work and craftsmanship!! I have been involved with 3 a 34,37 and 40. They require MUCH patience and are very time consuming. There is a pic of the 40 on Pewsplace this week.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

badgas, a wood kit for a Woodie runs between $25 and $40K, between the labor and cost of the wood. It ain't cheap.

olscrounger likes this.
  20. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

I understand,supplied a local guy with ash to restore his C cab Mack.Clear furniture grade wood it was under $3000 in lumber. He did offer me the old wood pieces he had to make patterns if i wanted them....thinking i do now!

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

The old Ford sawmill and camp is now the Ford forestry center or was when I went there . I got drafted out there in 1971. They taught forestry aide students and sawyers.