Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your state require a front license plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 1, 2021.

1. modagger

modagger

If memory serves, (the portions are getting smaller the older I get), there were a few years during the 70’s when Connecticut went to only one plate but now is back to two.

I have a stack of unused front plates in my shop from over the years. Except on my daily drivers, I’ve never run a front plate and luckily have never been stopped for it.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think they said that 68 and older needed only one plate. But I know people that only got one for any year "collector" vehicle. Collector plates can be put on any 20 yr old cars here. The one plate law was changed when we had Jesse the body Ventura as out governor. He also legalized blue dots....

402.JPG 5553.JPG astor2.jpg september1.JPG

Beanscoot and wicarnut like this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well I feel a lot safer now.

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Oh, right, because its the law. Okey-doke.

5. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New Mexico is a single plate state. It has used two plates in the past. 1932 was a two plate year. I have a nice set of these YOM plates for my 32 3-window but only have the rear installed. The car has a regular registration, but I have not had any problems with this car or others running a YOM plates with which the cars have been not registered. I keep the registered plate in the car, just in case...

6. Thanks. Been my favorite for quite some time.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Bama quit using two plates in the late 50’s or early 60’s. If you run YOM plates, you only have to run a rear one. Some years the plates said “ front” and “ rear” on them, so you have to have the rear one to be legal according to the State website.

8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure this is state law.;)

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

10. Leadslingingmerc

Leadslingingmerc

Not in Tennessee!

MO54Frank likes this.
  11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

0F163E6E-88E2-48F5-9B27-32C68F7E9B7C.jpeg

Since these are genuine unrestored truck plates, I like to run them on the front. Never put a front plate on the Zipper in 21 years.

12. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

When I was a boy in MO only a rear plate was required. Around 68-70 they started requiring a front plate. I moved out of MO in 78 and I know a front was required for several years after. In fact, I didn’t know a front plate was no longer required.

13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not true, Frank. Two are required for normal registration. YOM and others qualify for one rear plate only.

It gets confusing with commercial motor vehicles.

MO54Frank likes this.
  14. dwollam

dwollam

Two required in Oregon on regular daily driver types. YOM or special interest vehicles only need 1, in the rear. Cars 25 years old or older can be registered as special interest and can run 1 plate. If it is still what they call a current use plate (still legal for regular registration) they issue a little sticker stating special interest that goes where the year sticker would have been. On those cars, I tend to run front and rear plates, just so the fuzzies don't do a double take and waste my time stopping me.

Dave

15. Ca requires a front plate, but I refuse. Been stopped for a lot of things in 60 years, but never that. I just can't imagine a plate would add to this.
    [​IMG]

16. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I disagree. Our state still requires a front plate to be installed although many new and some vintage vehicles do not have them. I believe that they have tried to repeal the law but the police unions object because the officer would have to walk to the rear of the car to see a plate when it would be much easier for him (her) to see the front plate. ( makes no sense because they always park behind a car they just pulled over)

Dean Lowe likes this.
  17. wicarnut

wicarnut

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/validation.aspx
    License plates
    State law requires that when WisDOT issues two license plates, both plates must be attached to the vehicle; one on the front and one on the rear. The plates must be maintained in a legible condition and displayed so that they can be seen and read. License plate brackets that cover any part of the readable message on a license plate are illegal.

Validation stickers
    Most registration license plates receive validation stickers for display on the rear plate only if two plates are issued (customers receive registration validation stickers when they receive new license plates). WisDOT issues new license plate expiration stickers after payment of registration renewal fees. When receiving new stickers, WisDOT recommends removing the old sticker first, instead of affixing the new sticker over the old one. Cleaning and drying the license plate will also improve adhesion.

State law also requires that you place registration month and year stickers on the rear license plate in the manner directed by WisDOT. Stickers:

My post # 35 Correction, Wisconsin does require a front plate. I have not run one for many years on my hobby cars, never had a problem, currently on my 51 Merc, have on front a 51 California plate, had on front of our 51 Buick a 51 Wisconsin plate. I've never had a problem with sheriff or police on this subject, apparently and fortunately have not run across Barney Fife yet.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    PBRmeASAP likes this.
  18. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Only the rear Plate in Delaware, Excuse me that's a "TAG" in DE Plate is my "Jersey" showing

19. BDUB77

BDUB77

I do the same in VA

IMG_4344.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

No in Kansas but if the car does not have an antique tag 35 years old you can get a ticket for having a front tag not assigned to that car. Say you have a 1990 car not 35 years old and put a 1990 tag on it is a no no.

21. Newtin

Newtin

Ohio does not.

22. FritzFord

FritzFord

Haha! Chicago has its own rules. State of IL, requires 2 plates. But you can run YOM plates on an antique, you’re not held to equipment laws made after your car was made.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Until that one time you're in a hurry to get somewhere and you get stopped for no plate. :cool:

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not that want to hear it Dean but it would add legality. I’ve never checked on whether a California Vehicle Code requires a front bumper either.

25. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

New Hampshire requires front and back plate and the front plate cannot be the USA-1 plate.

26. It's more legal than these ground scraping, straight pipe truck cabs driving around. And if I'm stopped when in a "hurry" a missing front plate will be the last thing the officer will have to write about!

Lil32 likes this.
  27. tommy gun 88

tommy gun 88
    from chicago

Indiana is rear only. I hate running front plates

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hiboys should be exempt!

29. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

Utah requires two but when I brought in my YOM plate for my '62 Chevy for inspection I was told the one would be okay, and that I should just put something else up front. Ha, I put a Coca-Cola plate up there! I have a cross cannons Artillery plate on my Suzuki Samurai.
    I haven't been stopped yet, touch wood!