Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does your family trash talk your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51delivery, May 18, 2009.

1. philo426

philo426

It is sad that these people have no vision or imagination.All they see is the rust and not what the car /truck could be.

2. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I have had relatives look at my cars that I spent years building ,first thing out of there mouth say, WOW-- HOW MUCH $$ CAN YOU GET OUT OF IT? They just don't get it.

3. Tortron

Tortron

similar response at the gas station the other day
    "wow that thing must be worth a bit....... or at least it will be when you paint it"

4. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

My mom and my wife keep telling me that my yard looks like "Sanford And Sons Yard". I keep telling them thats how its going to stay.

5. Sounds like my yard, the uncles who thought my stuff was kool have passed away, the rest of the visitors bitch and moan like I've got the pope buried head down in a dungpile with his feet on fire.

The first wife didn't get it at all.

Wife No.2 got it, helped me work on stuff, got reeeally friendly when I would drive fast, but she had a thing for men who beat her regularly...still not sure why she came MY way since that's not my cup of tea.

No plans for a wife No.3

I respect veterans of war...and on some level I still respect the guy across the street for doing his part, but that's where it ends. This guy has complained ever since he moved here in 1998 about my working on stuff, making noise at 7 pm, dragging some other old car home. A few months back he yelled at MY SON for riding MY BIKE in MY BACK YARD at 1:00 in the afternoon...oh HELL no! I'll not get into the story much deeper, pretty boring after I told him to F*** OFF and DIE, no fight occurred but he called the police who told him to shut up and leave me alone. I had a nice time tuning the carbs that evening, making sure they were PERFECT before I shut everything down at 9:59 PM.

The rest of my neighbors seem to like me...at any rate, I'm moving in a couple months, back to the country where I can be noisy and no one complains but the coyotes at night.

6. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Every fuckin' day!

7. The only trash talk I hear is when i do something stupid lol

8. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

my family talks trash about my hotrod, but not one of them will race me.

9. EV34

EV34

there only crap at my house by my mom and sister until you start workin on em and makin em look like somethin as far as the guys at school they couldnt believe that i put over 2 years worth of work into an old truck.....now they all wanna drive it.....i dont think so....

10. bobjob55

bobjob55

i've had my '63 chevy carryall for over 20+ years now..my family won't let me sell it..my 26 year old daughter has claimed it as hers..
    i picked up a '48 dodge 4 door choptop ,after showing it to my wife,she said it HAS to be eggplant,,with 3 different pearl ghost flames ,,and i hadn't even asked her if i could buy it yet!!
    she also said it has to have A/C.. because it's hot in Arizona!!
    it's still a project,,and my 2 kids (13 yr old boy &15 yr old girl) are fighting over who gets it..wife says its hers..

11. zomb1e

zomb1e

too true, dick heads tellin me to buy a skyline/honda/supra, girlfriends tellin me to buy a SS conformadoor/bmw/xr8 falcon, cockheads in pubs tellin me to loose the grease/club jacket, and of cause Mr police man tellin me to buy door handles/seat belts/ground clearence... lol

good mates, bettys, sweet times, cheap tools, booze of cause, rock n roll/rockabilly (next door sings a long now lmao) and a family of hoons makes up for it all...

wouldnt change it for the world eh?

12. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I get it all the time...

My mom says my '80 Cutlass is an eyesore (65,000miles, no rust, f'n beautifuL) even though when she bought it for me for Christmas it was the "most beautiful car she'd ever seen"....

Dad's not sure why I want to build my '25 Dodge Speedster with an Olds Straight 8 before my '38 Poncho 2dr Sedan, he hates the Dodge.

But dad loves my '94 Chevy 1500 with a 425 Olds/TH400, it was his idea...

My friends don't understand any of them, they think it is stupid that I would "demodernize" my Chevy and put a grandma car engine in it....My friend Chris loves it, can't wait to run it against his Camaro...

I don't bother explaining what I want to do to the Poncho or the Dodge to any of them...

And don't get me started on how many times I've been told to throw some rims on my Cutlass...Kids these days..

13. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

my mom asks me if im ever going to finish my truck. The only thing thats not done on it is the electrical. and its been like that for over a year.
    plus i keep towing more shit home, i bought a 68 caddy hearse one time, that really drove her nuts. once it was running she thought she would use the casket table as a bar on halloween.....

14. mj40's

mj40's

Forty Four years ago my daddy said I would never get my $100 back from my 40 Ford Coupe. I'm still trying to prove him wrong. When my grandson comes over the first thing he does is check out my pickup project and he can see anything that I have changed. He asked me one day what color I was going to paint it. I said. "What color would you like"?

Attached Files:

15. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

My wife humors me, and doesn't trash talk. We have a pretty special relationship. That being said, I know she hates my old GMC and probably thinks I'm retarded but she keeps it to herself.

16. My family is funny. Something's wrong with a car they take it to a garage, even something dumb like a starter I can change in half an hour in the driveway. Even though my folks paid for me to go to college to take the full works automotive, and even though I've half rebuilt various shitboxes right in their driveway. Which isn't all bad, some of the late model stuff I don't want to mess with very badly anyways, but I can at least give a second opinion what's wrong so they don't get screwed over by a garage.

So finally when my sister's car wouldn't start and I was on the way out the door and they wanted me to come jump start it, I said no. All it needed was a battery cable tightened anyways. But any idiot can hook up jumper cables, for pete's sake.

I've told her to get rid of that car before it dies and is worthless a bunch of times, the tranny slips on the 1-2 shift irregularly, but often, for no apparent reason, it constantly leaks coolant, and being a Ford with a V6 sooner or later either the head gasket or the trans will go. She always makes excuses why she can't, even though I could get her a good replacement easily for a lot less than she paid for this pile. I mean I paid a tenth of what she did for my last truck and I only replaced it when I happened on one with a lot less rust this spring. I guess that's what happens when you buy the first car you go look at, I fell over when she went with my dad to look at cars and they bought the first one... I figured he'd know better at least. Those same cars - 97-up Taurus/Sable - are cheap enough now I saw three of them at a trailer race/demo derby over the weekend, getting slowly destroyed.

But listen to me about it? No. I bet I get the call to help when it finally dies, though.

17. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Nope ! My wife has a stool out in the garage where she sets and talks to me while I work. Right now the project on the lift is HER 51 Pontiac Chieftan..

18. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

Funny, I live to hunt, fish, and play with cars. My son has no interest in any of the three. He will eat all the venison jerky I can make! I took him to Chrysler at Carlisle one year to help me carry parts out. I asked him if he could have any car at the show what would it be. At the end of the day he took me back to the Year One display and chose the 68 Cuda convert they had on display. He about died laughing when I told him that was the exact same car I had in the garage at home, except mine is a big block Formula S. He said mine was just a big pile of junk with more piles of junk piled on top. No respect for Dad, Joe.

19. bonesy

bonesy

My daughter asked why I spend so much time and money on "trash cans."

20. EV34

EV34

when i bought my truck cabs ( 34 ford) we were at the mini nats in springfield when she was like "you should have bought a truck like that one, i can see you in somethin like that not what you just bought" she had a hard time believeing me that the cab i bought was the same year as the truck that she was talkin about

21. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

My dad is semi cool with it depends on car ( he is a chevy guy and likes only back to mid 50's maybe. 60's are his choice). He is doing good with the flatty though took it better than I thought. My brother gives me shit here and there sunday he was like no way you drive your 53 daily and Im like yup. Mom is mixed she liked my 66 mustang and hated it leaving (she had one as a first car). She is warming up to the truck and even wanted a ride in it Sunday when I took her to lunch. She has hated most of my other cars and anytime I look at something she goes why do you like that old piece of s***

GF is mixed likes truck if she is not in it haha. She says she likes cars but newer or muscle cars 68-74 and loves nova's. I mean its cool in someway but Later nova's just too many around and your not unique in one.

22. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

My kids are rust hunters. We go ona trip and they are lookin for rust . My 15yo bought his own 23 T runabout body and found a 1919 dodge frame with 3/4 ellipical springs for it. My 12 yo painted felix the cat on my 25 for me. The wife is still biichin that she wants my 8ba in her 29 5 window. My 10 daughter was watching me port some heads a while back and this young blue flamer that works for me walked in the shop and said "what are you doing all that for?" She looks at him like hes from another planet and says "To build horse power and shakes her head" what a girl.

The family that builds hot rods together stays together

23. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

My family loves and respects me, so I don't get any grief about the old cars or the model cars either. They support my hobbies, and not just because I bring home the bacon. They go with me to car shows, work at NNL East with me and can't wait for me to get our Safari back on the road.

You want to know my secret? I married the right woman and all the hobby stuff comes after her and my daughter, not before.

24. gotra66

gotra66

My wife is becoming more understanding of my hotrod addiction. She just doesn't want me to bring any of them home. Right now they are at dad's, but one is coming home for work soon.

25. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

My girl (a HAMBer, herself) likes mine. She just wants me to stop tinkering with it long enough to help her put front springs on her Fairlane. We don't have any kids. They're just like little annoying drunk people that would use up all my hot rod money. LOL

26. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

My sisters have said," Why dont you sell all that old junk and just buy a new car?" and "Why do you spend all that time building them and then sell them?" It's like my mom used to say; "Sometimes we love our family because of, and sometimes we love them in spite of."

27. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

When I bought it in the first picture they said WTF?
    When I finished they still said WTF!!!

Attached Files:

28. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

most of my family doesn't care either way. I have a few aunts that worry about yard appearance and such. My mom doesn't even know what cars I have or care. My dad helps me out a lot and we seem to argue a lot but not much now. My uncle tommy helps me a lot by rebuilding carbs setting up years and such. He is one who can do anything to a car but not certified to. And in exchange I help him do whatever he needs whether it is pulling an S-10 motor or putting shingles on his roof. My dad was a scrapman all his life so he could careless about old cars being in the yard. And it shows because he can strip a car fast. I had a 74 comet for parts and I told him I was going to strip it the next day and he had it finished before I got up. When we work on the 51 he always complains about them poppin ass fenders on it. Overall I'm glad to have a family that supports my hobby.

29. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

having nothing remotely close to a family member that is into cars, I hear shit from time to time.....they just dont get it. And when they hint to me to sell off my project (model A) nothing gets me more pissed off in this enitre world. If i didnt look so much like my father I would swear I was adopted or the mailman paid my mother a visit

30. manyolcars

manyolcars

My father always bought new cars and 'wanted to get his moneys worth'.
    He thought a new car should last 10 years but he thought his 'wore out' before that so he never achieved his goal.

My first car was 21 years old and I drove it 14 years.
    Somewhere in there he became proud of me.