Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does this sound like a set-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donsz, Nov 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

"I have a baseball bat in my Jeep"
    Did you remember to coat the bat with Vaseline? Before anyone has dirty thoughts that's so no one can grab it away from you.
    Now if you did have to use the bat, had someone video it, posted on YouTube it would of gone viral.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

2. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Western Australia being such a big place I often sell parts to buyers up to 3 days drive away. Direct transfer of funds into my bank account, all they need is the account number and bsb. Banks protect you against money going the other way. Then COD the parts with their preferred carrier. Been working fine for 40 years.

3. 5window

5window

Post 86!!!! It's a done deal, worked out fine, you can put away the Gatling guns for now.

Squablow and egads like this.
  4. I truly hate to say this, but I work on the North side of St. Louis, I always carry at least my .380 with me everywhere. I never thought it would get to this, but this is the world we live today. It’s scary to think that someone would jump you for some car parts, but it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Here in Oklahoma, we just passed “ open carry” ! That means any person 21 years of age or older, with out a felony can carry a pistol on their hip! Just like Dodge city on Gunsmoke!
    Kinda scary, isnt it?

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy and lurker mick like this.
  6. Really? An $80 boat anchor and we're talking about packing hand grenades.
    This place is a Chicken Little convention. :confused:

flatford39, slim38, Squablow and 5 others like this.
  7. Funny I have always figured that if someone was going to rob me (rip me off?) that was their tuff luck. You just have to do what you do and hope for the best sometimes.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. 5 days on this?
    I need some Tylenol!

slim38, egads and Hnstray like this.
  9. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I didn't read everyones answer to this but CL warns about this. They say do not take any money order or cashiers check because if they are fake they will clear and then 3 days later the sheriff comes for you. Even if you convince them you weren't trying to pass a bad check you loose you item. Once I heard this I always respond the same way. CASH ONLY, LOCAL PICKUP ONLY. I've had these kind of requests so many times I can't count. I've never had anyone respond back after I sent them this message. I suspect they were all scams. I have had good luck with PayPal but it's usually on Ebay or a vender that uses it. I'm sure there's a way to scam with PayPal too. Cash is king!

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  10. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Not really that scary. Maybe soon your state will pass Constitutional carry. No CCW needed. 2nd Amendment.

sevenhills1952 and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s what we have! 21, no felony, no restraining order, no mental health stuff, pack a piece. My only problem is you can’t carry while drinking.......so for me it’s back to the baseball bat.lol

Bones

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Kind of hard to swing a bat with a beer in you hand. Maybe you should just hit them with the bottle or better yet drink whiskey. The bottle's bigger.;)

13. This story reminds me of a purchase I made about a year ago. Fellow had two 4 x 8 sheets of metal pegboard I wanted for hanging tools on wall over my bench. He said they are in the front driveway and i'll be there shortly. I loaded them in my pickup and called to say where are u to pay. He said still tied up, just put cash under the doormat. I lifted doormat n put cash right next to his Doorkey that was under mat !!
    Trusting or naive ??

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

14. Ever heard of Ferguson Missouri? I work less than 4 miles from there. I pack wherever I go when I’m in the city, and that’s every weekday. If I was Chicken Little, I just would not go to work.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. .....I'm glad this all turned out well, but I think you're kinda missing the point of our being cautious. It's not about the $80 intake. It's about dropping it off at an unfamiliar house in an unfamiliar neighborhood. You place the intake by the fence as directed and at the same time someone places a gun to your head and says, "Let's go to an ATM for a withdrawal".:eek:..."Oh and by the way, I'm also taking your car.":D

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:eek: Et Tu Don?? :(

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. I'm not saying don't be cautious. I sort fired off a one-liner to inject some humor so I'll back up and explain a bit more in-depth. Still with good humor. :)
    If I'm already paid upfront, that goes a long way to abating a case of the nerves. What kind of strong-arm thug pays upfront? And if I checked out the area/neighborhood/house like the OP did (I would use Google Street View) and didn't see any red flags, it's a go. And naturally, I would ask the buyer "What's the deal with leaning the intake on the fence post? Aren't you afraid someone will take it?" If he 'splains it with, again, no red flags, it's a go. And how does he know I'm coming alone or with a truckload of buddies on the way to a hunting trip or not, loaded for bear? But, last of all, I'm saying that I wouldn't be so worried, based on all that, that I would blow off the sale because of the delivery. It takes 10 seconds and I could be gone before anyone gets within 50 feet of me.
    Who's going to argue with what I say about what I would do? No, you wouldn't! Yes, I would. No, you wouldn't! :p

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@The Shift Wizard ....Very well stated and similar to my own approach. During the evolution of this thread I thought about the parts and/or cars I both bought and sold and either delivered or went to pick up. Not saying I 'never gave a thought to it", but like you and others have stated, I always had phone conversations and asked what I thought were good questions. And, for what it's was worth, I usually 'carried' to add a measure of additional assistance .....though absolutely never needed it.

The vast majority of people, especially hobbyists of various types, are 'just folks' ....not serious predators. If we were talking about illegal goods or transactions....well, that's NOT in my range of interests, but just the thought of it would give me shivers about the risks I can imagine would be associated with that.

Ray

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's a done deal....

Closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.