Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does this bug you guys too ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38zephyr, Jan 6, 2007.

1. 38zephyr

38zephyr

It seems like more and more people with for sale signs on cars at shows and swaps with just a phone number and no price . I've even been seeing "SERIOUS ONLY " with no price . I'm dead serious about buying your car if it's a fair price , how's anybody gonna be serious when you want twice what it's worth ? Obviously everybody wants as much as they can get for what they are selling , do they think they are going to hustle somebody just cause they have them on the phone with a crazy price ? They are just going to piss off a potential buyer , wasting everybodys time and probably get hung up on . I saw a nice primered 47 Cadillac sedanette at a show recently with just a phone number , called the guy thinking I'll take this home today for $15,000 or so if he's in the ballpark and he tells me it's $35,000 . You can buy a really kick ass restored one for that ! If you want to sell your car , put a fair price on the sign with maybe some room to negotiate , not just a cel number , or 3 X the value . Maybe that's why I see the same cars advertised for a year or two also . Just my opinion , do you guys agree ?

2. Dino

Dino

Yes, it's annoying. I simply don't bother to call, since I assume that the price isn't there because it's way too high.

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

for sale signs only need two things,
    a price and a phone number.

serious buyer only?
    serious as a fucking heart attack jack, now piss off.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

i hate the cars with the words "for sale" painted on them

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Back in the late 50's and start of the 60's when Ruddy was doing car shows in Florida;Miami,Clearwater,Jax,Key West,he had a rule we all had to do,if your car was for sale,you had to post it with photo and asking$ on a big note board at the back beside the stage* or not at all,there were no 4sale signs allowed on cars in the shows at all.
    Yes,there was a stage of some kind set up at each show,for the band ,trophys,pinstrip off contest.
    So ya,it was even then a bug that needed a fix.

6. bigolds

bigolds

The thing that realy pisses me off is the guys that leave dealer plates on their shit. I think that some of these guys are just trying to make a quick buck on the back of the Barrett Jackson thing. You know how it goes, if a pristine rotisery 70 Chevelle SS is worth 50k so is the other cobbled together half ass piece of shit. Same goes with a hot rod. Some people have just lost touch with reality.

7. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Especially Out Here With Barret Jackson Next Week Everything Over 20 Years Old Has A Sale Sign On It Thtee Cruise Nite At The Pavilions Will Have A Bigger Turnout Than Goodguys

8. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

This is why we require prices in the Classifieds.

Who wants to muddle through an ad full of questions about how much the seller wants?

It's a waste of everyones time and space and it just doesn't work.

I had a bunch of stuff at a swap meet quite a few years back. I had no prices on any of it. I truly had no idea what it was worth.

An older dude stopped by and asked what I wanted for some 41 Chevy belt line trim (I wish I still had it now). I told him to make me an offer.

He said, "Let me help you out here. It's your job to be the seller and it's my job to be the buyer. I can't do both. The day is too short."

I said, "But I have no idea what it's worth."

He said, Then what the hell are you doing selling it?"

I was out of answers for him.

He was right.

9. alsancle

alsancle

I like the ones that say something along the line of "$10,000 FIRM - Must Sell!"

So, you must sell it but refuse to budge on price??????

10. alsancle

alsancle

This is really well stated. - when something isn't priced most people just move on. I love the bit about, "I don't have time to be both the buyer and the seller".

11. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

maybe ot because it was a newer car,but in my town this guy had a sign that said 3k firm or bo..that dosent make sense to me.

12. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

That's because people don't understand how to sell...or for that matter, buy.

I'm trying to sell my daily. I put in my ads 'serious only' becuase I don't have time to waste on joyrides. Guy calls me and writes an emial. "I'm VERY serious". He comes by, takes it for a 15 minute ride...his comments seem positive, and he leaves saying I'll call you tomorrow after 6 with an offer. We never finalized the price, and I made it more than clear that I was open to offers around my asking price.

That was 3 days ago and I haven't heard a peep from him.

If you're not into the car, don't tell someone you will call them back at a certain time. You'll piss them off more if you don't do anything, and LIE.

13. Never once, have I picked up the phone or responded in any way to a car ad with no price listed.
    It's the FIRST thing I look at and if it's not there I move on...
    It's a sign that the seller is afraid he's asking to much... which means he is.

JOE:cool:

14. Here's my rule of thumb if I don't know what its worth or what I gave for it I figure what I would like to have for it. If that's too much then its obvoiusly worth more to me than to you.:D

As for for sale and no price someone once told me if you have to ask you can't afford it. I suppose that's why there isn't any price marked on 'em because they know no one can afford it and they are only interested in illiterate high rollers.

Anyway it frosts my ass as well. I don't even like to go to a show and see for sale signs. Its a car show not a car dealership.

15. 133

what irks me is someone posting an ad on craigslist or autotrader.com, but not including a photo.

16. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i dont understand people sometimes,,,

a lil over 3 weeks ago i found a car on another website classifeds section for sale,,a really good price,,,the add was placed two months ago and i was wondering,why the hell hasnt this thing sold.

,,so i called the guy,left a message and he called back about 30 minutes later,he still has the car,,he sent me more pics and described everything very clearly and honestly about the car,body condition,parts its missing etc..,,i told him i was very interested and that if its like he described i would show up with a trailer and pick it up...

,like i said ,,that was 3 weeks ago,,i was trying to make plans to get it last weekend,,so i called him last friday night ,left a message to call me back, never returned call.....,hey,it was the holidays,i unerstand people go out of town and are busy,..

...so a few days later he called back and said "well someones coming to look at it tonight,ill call you and let you know what happened" then he never calls,
    a day later i get an email(wensday), "guy never showed,call me tonight so we can make plans for you to get it this weekend"

..so i set up a truck and trailer that day,call the dude that night,no answer,leave message,he never calls back,,so the following evening i talk to buddy with truck and trailer..i tell him to forget about it since the guy never called back..

friday night ,get home from work, message on answering machine" hey sam,call me tonight about the car if you want tocome this weekend.."

if it didnt seem like such a good deal ,i wouldnt have even been fooling with it!,,i have realized why this car has been for sale for so long at a cheap price...i guess the guy doesnt want to sell it...it has been a big waist of time,,

17. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I dont like the great big for sale signs at all I always just use a1 inch for sale on a side window in matching color of paint and if someone is really interested he will say something if not, it isnt like a big ugly sign ,., and I think most guys know if they are interested and if they can afford it and the approx price... my take...

18. When someone puts a price on something, that's what it's worth to them. I assume that when there's no price, it's priceless to them and too pricey for me.

No price means they'll sell it if the right sucker offers the right price.

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Sometimes I think with no price they are there to just show off!! Walk away.

20. NOBILLETA

NOBILLETA

I think these are sometimes well intended, untill the deal is presented to the Wife/Family Financial Officer :D . Still a followup call to let you know would be the right thing to do.

21. screwball

screwball

what bugs me is that speculators infultrated the old car hobbie years ago and as soon as they get there over inflated price from one sucker every one else feels intitled to the same price. The problum is that is seems that there are alot of them out there and they belive now that the over priced stuff has become norm for most. INVESTMENT CARS SUCK!

22. ragtop35

ragtop35

The other side and my two cents:
    Alot of people have the belief that everything is for sale. 20 years ago I got so tired of people coming up from nowhere and asking "what do you want for it?" I had lettered in the cornor of the windshield on my roadster "Not for sale". They still ask. go figure

23. I ALWAYS put a price on my For Sale signs. I DON'T want you calling me unless you're aware of my price. This way i feel you're at least willing to spend in that neighborhood if you do call me. No idle Chi-Chat. FUCK THAT! Also, if i look at your car for sale and there's no price, i'm SCARED to call you and get into a useless, or endless conversation for NOTHING. You call the guy and ask how much and he starts rambling on and on about the new alternator, and the 2 new tires, and how he saw one on Ebay, and everything else besides telling you HOW MUCH. And he was gonna paint it silver and black 'cause he's a Raiders fan, but he's a FAG so he painted it pink instead. Now your in tears waiting for the fucking price. See, ya got me started. Peace, out.

24. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I'm sure a lot of us have our keepers like yours , take it as a compliment that somebody likes what you have .

25. I ALWAYS ask, if i see a car i like. Always. It's worked for me. Most recently a 65 Bonneville. Eight-lug, 421(!), Tri-Power, power windows, etc. CLEAN for $5500. If i see NOT FOR SALE, i consider it a dare. LOL. PS-wanna sell your car?

26. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I had a bunch of stuff at a swap meet quite a few years back. I had no prices on any of it. I truly had no idea what it was worth.

An older dude stopped by and asked what I wanted for some 41 Chevy belt line trim (I wish I still had it now). I told him to make me an offer.

He said, "Let me help you out here. It's your job to be the seller and it's my job to be the buyer. I can't do both. The day is too short."

I said, "But I have no idea what it's worth."

He said, Then what the hell are you doing selling it?"

I was out of answers for him.

He was right.

[/QUOTE]

A lot of people hate it but this is why I like Ebay. I don't know what everything is worth and Ebay will typically tell you. It's worth what someone is willing to pay. Although some days you can watch two identical items go for twice the price of each other. Auctions can be good for sellers and buyers alike in my opinion.

27. :D That's what I meant to say.....

JOE:cool:

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Actually, no price for sale signs save me time. It's immediately apparent that the seller is an idiot. I don't have to waste time establishing that fact. You can't deal with an idiot.

I think most of them are trolling for Charlie Tuna. They don't really want to sell it for what it's really worth. They are hoping a rich idiot will give them a drastisally over inflated price.

If you don't know what something is worth do some research! If that's too much trouble then set your price and don't bitch when you sell that Crestliner wheel for 200 bucks. Take the money and don't look back.

29. The few times I've called about an item with no price I've always started by sayong to the seller, "I have a few questions about XXX. First question - What's the asking price?" Sometimes I'm told in a stern tone, 'The price IS $xxx.' If they start rambling about the item I politely interupt and ask again, "What's the asking price?" If I don't get a price by the third time I ask, I thank them and hang up. It's easy, if you wnat my money you need to answer me directly. If the price is nowehere near what I'm willing to pay, I thank them and hang up.

30. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I do the same thing. It almost seems that it is proper etiquette to beat around the bush and ask the price after having to listen to why this car is so unique.

I list my price in the ads also. I look at it that time has value and why waste it when the price weeds out 80% of the tire kickers.

Neal