Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does the HAMB really need another shoebox build thread?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, Sep 14, 2011.

1. olcarguy

olcarguy

You do good work for a guy from the deep south 8)

2. 'Bout damn time I updated this post, right? What the heck have I been doing for last 5 months?! Life mostly, but I have managed to get a little car time in here and there.

Got my door gaps mostly figured out (thanks Ralphie and others who suggested adding filler rod).

Started with this...

[​IMG]

Stuck a little of this on there...

[​IMG]

A little weldin', a little grindin' (and some swearin')...

[​IMG]

Hella better (it's actually a more consistent gap than that but I was jammed between 2 cars, taking a photo with my phone while holding the fender with my knee, drinking a beer and juggling a flaming chainsaw at the same time). Take my word for it...

[​IMG]

Ok, so back to the damn trunk lid. Just wasn't happy with the shitty job I did originally, so I decided to do another shitty job to it...

[​IMG]

Happened to have a chunk of steel lying around...

[​IMG]

Cut the old crap out...

[​IMG]

Zip zip zip, zap zap zap...

[​IMG]

Didn't get any pics, but I also cut the trunk opening sides out and replaced them with some straight pieces (how novel!)...

[​IMG]

Still some minor tweaking to do, but getting there...

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'm still a shitty welder.

Ok, so all this fargin' around with the trunk lid left me with a frankenstein-looking thing on the underside. Plus, I still had some fitment issues, so I cut some relief cuts in the inner frame and used some straps to pull it into the desired shape (while it was still on the car)...

[​IMG]

And there were all sorts of random cuts and scars leftover from that knife-fight we got into over some drunk chick in Scranton...

[​IMG]

More zipping, a little zapping...

[​IMG]

Grind grind grind, drink beer, grind, spray some black stuff to cover up the shitty welding and it's looking like a dang ol' trunk lid again...

[​IMG]

Other than that I've been filling holes and removing paint. More on that to follow...

[​IMG]

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to see that you are back in business!
    I think i have that same gap filling job ahead,i guess its only way to do it.Keep it up!

4. looking good, see its not rocket science.

5. EBW

EBW

Great Update !!

6. Let's be serious here Tyler, you've met me. I'm lucky to be allowed out of the house without a helmet. Everything is rocket science. :D

7. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

Andrew...cool update. I love it when people indicate where they made a mistake....and like it more, when they attack the problem again and resolve it. Our good and loyal friend of the corrupt and sneaky (Mr. Bondo), could have covered up all the funny stuff on the trunk. Great work....you're obviously a man of integrity......hahaha
    Keep wearing that helmet when you go out....

8. Thanks Dave. Yes, oddly enough, my trunk lid is a helluva lot lighter than the one that was on the car when I bought it from Mr. Bleed. Now that I have mine pretty much working I might have to do some forensic grinding on the old one just to see how much filler is on it.

9. Novababy

Novababy

Awesome build thread. Let's see it hit the 1/4 already!

10. donnie

donnie
    from NC

Wow great thread, have to subscribe to it, spent the last few hours reading the whole thread.

11. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Glad to see your still at it. I knew that round rod trick would work for you. Maybe '13s the year it'll go up and down the drive way,We are all pulling for you,Go man go.

12. Great to see you hard at work again, and making a real difference. Love the rear lights.

13. looking good...I wanna a ride

14. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

15. Andrew, looking great pal, can't wait to see you drive it to the Percy Boom Panel Swap....
    Good meeting up with you on the mean streets of Detroit last month too.Keep in touch.
    Chris.

16. Andrew, have you ever wondered why it was so popular to upholster the inside of the decklid? ;)

17. Next time we cross the border in the trunk it will all be worth it.

18. What's a guy to do when his girlfriend is away? I spent the weekend getting high with strippers...

:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bad brains...

[​IMG]

19. That's better looking than the strippers at The Clermont Lounge!

20. 68wagon

68wagon

great thread subscribed you have some serious talent my freind

21. and to think how much time we spent painting that thing a few years ago...you got high with strippers and didn't invite me?

22. Fumes usually means creative thinking time in my garage. One little bit every day adds up, keep going.
    See you in a couple weeks at the Showdown

23. About the same age as the strippers at the Clermont, and about as wrinkly too... but now it's all smooth and shiny but a bit dirty... like the girls at the Pink Pony.

After 2 and half years I'm pretty much done with the rust repair :rolleyes: now I can start some fun stuff.

Last year I was pretty sure I'd able to drive this thing to the Showdown this year. Sheesh.

24. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

Bad brains...I know that group...saw them at CBGB's many years ago....

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Strippers!:D

Friends of mine,2 brothers who have an autobodyshop,they mess with strippers too.Its fast and really effective way to remove paint and in their case it will fill their pockets instead of emptying them.Time is money,especially when having own shop..
    Anyway,good to see some progress!

26. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

good to see progress brother, brings back memories of all the nasty things i found stripping the 65. I did the 65 and Betsy the chevelle like that. Chemical bout 4 times then DA and wet 80 grit, cleans em right up! Keep going man, POR makes a killer metal treatment that ya spray on and just rinse off. It leaves a think coating of zinc :) Then you are ready for epoxy. Use something that doesnt breathe, learned that the hard way too

27. Thanks for the comments guys.

Not sure what you mean by this Russ. I have some of the POR15 metal prep, and I'm planning to use the Southern Poly epoxy before body filler (rage) and then Southern Poly 2K primer. I've still got a ways to go before I can spray anything.

28. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Most primers are porous for build and because of that the metal can breathe "RUST" ;) an Epoxy should be ok, might ck with manufacturer or paint store. Seal that sucker up! another tip that i learned is when doing the metal prep acid bath deal. It only works while it is still wet, soooooo cover the car in blue shop towels then spray her down. They act like a sponge and keep the acid workin for long time ;) Now get back to work!

29. castirondude

castirondude

Does your stripper do undercoating as well? If yes can I have her name? :D
    I have some bitchin undercoating that seems to only come off by torching the car. But if I paint over it, it will turn wrinkly so something in the paint is working on it. I tried a few strippers and none of them would touch it. My car I mean, the undercoating :D

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

30. This is the stuff I used, just slopped it on thick and let it set for an hour or two. Recoated a few places that were tough to get off, but it eventually got it all. The guy in the store said to lay a plastic sheet over it to keep it wet if needed, but I didn't need to.

[​IMG]

Don't know if it'll do undercoating, but it's fairly serious stuff. Torch and scrape is the usual method, or a big-ass twisted wire wheel. It'll be a mess no matter what, undercoating is nasty.

[​IMG]