Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does the HAMB really need another shoebox build thread?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Great work bro. Keep it rollin man!!!!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

3. Not much of an update. Life keeps getting in the way.

I got all my window channels cut and fit, made templates so I can finally order some glass!

First time in about 15 years this door has had glass in it. I had one old piece of stock glass left intact so I installed it just to see it go up...

[​IMG]

...and down...

[​IMG]

I'm easily amused. I rolled that window up and down way too many times on Sunday with a big stupid grin on my face.

Got one piece of garnish molding cut down and roughly tacked, and got my front vent window channels bent, trimmed and installed. I realized I'm missing the actual vent window on the passenger side, so I guess I'm on the hunt for the mate to this...

[​IMG]

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress,looks really nice!
    Got any ideas for front window felt?

5. From Restoration Specialties, I ordered the YM3 belt strips, Y528 glass run channels and Y658 division bars (between the vent window and the main glass in the front doors). So far this seems to be what I need, your results may vary.

I was ready to order a bunch of other parts but I talked to Dave at RS and he seemed to know his shit. Walked me through it all and was fine figuring out my non-stock application. Good customer service.

Had to grind the rivets out of the old division bars and pop new ones in, but it's really not rocket surgery. I will have to do some tweaking once my glass arrives, but I think I'm on the right track.

6. Before you know it, you will be relocating to Austin.
    NAH! Big A's Speed Shop They have ASS, Canada can have BASS. No, wait...that's already taken. BUGGER!
    Looking good Andrew. You are showing the world that they really don't have any excuse not to at least try.

7. rock that shoe out....looking good.

8. You put the sexy back in windows.

9. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Wow man - your project is coming along great! I am not sure how I missed this thread, but it has been great reading up on all your updates. The dual tail-lights is going to be trick. I am building a 51' Tudor right now that was a total bucket, so I know some of the pains you are going through. I look forward to seeing this project come along.

10. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  11. Molin61

Molin61
    from Karlshamn

Nice work on a nice car!!!

12. [​IMG]Just like it was yesterday - keep on Rocking Brother -

Stevie - that was funny right there!!

13. afaulk

afaulk

14. love that pic...now time for a done pic

15. Carbs, carbs everywhere. I've got old crusty ones...

[​IMG]

I've got sorta shiny ones...

[​IMG]

Gold ones and silver ones and rusty ones...

[​IMG]

How 'bout some ol' 97s? Got them too...

[​IMG]

and I've got a pair of 06H's with 4 bolt bases that I'm told are off a '38 Lincoln V12, and I think that's what I'm going to run...

[​IMG]

Started to get things up front looking somewhat car-like again. Sheetmetal makes me happy...

[​IMG]

Gotta run the obligatory CANADIAN heads...

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, sheetmetal makes me happy until it comes to door gaps.

WTF?!

[​IMG]

Passenger side isn't too bad and I think I can get it closer with some finagling, but the driver's side has a gap you can throw a friggin' mule through. I had both fenders off and on about 5 times each yesterday and I cannot figure out why the hell the gaps are SO far off. Everything else lines up, the bolts are in, nothing seems to be particularly bent or anything, but they look like shit. Totally took the wind out of my sails, I really don't know what to do. I have the old doors and old fenders, I suppose I could trim some off those and graft them on the new ones, but what a pain in the ass. I'm open to suggestions.

16. Lone Star Round Up Bound!!!;)

I hate gaps... need a fender stretcher and hole e-longator tool to fix that canyon!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  17. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Try welding some 1/8" round stock to the edge of the front of the fender, maybe two pieces?

18. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Sorry, I meant to the "rear" edge of the fender.

19. Looking good Andrew hope to see if in person in a month or so. I'm sure you've checked but since you've had all your floors and body mounts apart make sure the body and front sheet metal are square to the frame. That can cause a larger gap one one side.

20. 62rebel

62rebel

just read through this whole thread... so much good stuff to see. just got my own '51 tudor shoebox Saturday and everything you've covered applies in some way or another to my project. the dual taillights are damn cool.

21. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I can not wait to hear this thing run.

P.S. do you need door gaps to drive to WI? I'm just saying bro. :):):)

22. Hmmm... you might be onto something Ed. I've been pretty much eye-balling it, I wouldn't be surprised if the body is cocked-off slightly, enough to mess up the door gaps.

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That body mounting issue could be the answer for this problem.Measuring and few body shims should do the trick.Are the other gaps ok?

24. The other door gaps are good/tolerable but I'll probably screw them up when I start shifting and shimming this weekend :rolleyes:

The trunk lid and opening is still a mess, I've been procrastinating about tackling it, but will hopefully spend some time on it in the next week or so. I was trying to get the trunk lid to fit when it occurred to me that the opening itself is all messed up. Got some work to do to get it straightened out.

25. so true....

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Just a thought,
    thats a new fender you have mounted?
    Try the old one before shimming the body,if it fits better is must be a fender issue.

27. Colville

Colville

very cool build, enjoyed all the photos and reading. Keep up the good work!

28. busajack

busajack
    from wy

Big A, my 50 has the same door and trunk problems. Always seems to be the drivers door do to more use. I can't bend ,torch, or beat them into submission cause the car is finnished. Thinking body shmming might help but waiting on your tallents and skills to see what you come up with. Body has not been off the frame. Love this little car but the body gaps drive me nuts. Building and aligining old fords for 50 years but this one needs your continued build thread for a solution. Can't wait to see what you do.
    Thanks man you are a genius. And thanks for the thread. Jack;)
    [​IMG]
    Does not look to bad in the pict but the door wont close with out slaming it. New striker plates and latches and adjusted 500 times,well at least 20:D Belt line only off about an eighth inch. Any tips from anyone? Thanks so much.

29. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Big A - I may have the answer for your door gap issue. When I rebuillt the hinges on my 51' I found the 2 ears on the hinge plate that mounts to the A pillar were totally out of whack. As I rebuilt my hinges, I bent those 2 tabs back a little (or toward the front of the car) and this solved my door gap issue. They don't take much bending to move the door gap ALOT. I didn't use heat to bend those ears - just mount the plate in the bench vice and a bit of tapping with a 3-lbs sledge. I have attached a picture of my rebuilt hinges for reference.

Attached Files:

30. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

In that picture you can see how the hinge plates to the right have an ear top and bottom. Just take and bend those ears a bit to get that gap to close up. Hope this helps.