Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone make a water pump that exits on the drivers side for SBC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, Nov 25, 2012.

1. I figured it might be cheaper than a new radiator.

2. I'm not aware of one but you can take your radiator to the local radiator shop and they can move the outlet to the opposite side. HRP

3. ardyboy

ardyboy

electric pump

4. TERPU

TERPU

I know the feeling. Most times you can solve the issue by using whatever size pipe from Home depot and curves to get across the front if you gotta do it that way. It even comes in chrome. Look in the Plumbing isle. For those of you laughing- it works and yes it is hoakey. But for us resourceful cheap Bastards without pride it's a good thing.

Tim

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

'89 Crown Vic hose

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you want the inlet on the drivers side, right? The exits from the pump go directly into the block.

I know what you meant, I'm just a terminology jackass. I've gone the Home Depot plumbing route on a couple cars in order to make things work, but that 89 Crown Vic hose that Phil1934 is suggesting might be the ticket. Never seen one in person, but the picture on the internet looks like it might have the right kinks in it. It is the upper radiator hose, so you'd probably have to stick a spring in it in order to keep it from collapsing under heat/suction. It is GATES Part # 21575.

7. Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna see what it would cost for the inlet and outlet to be swapped.

8. 35desoto

35desoto

here in NZ they all come out on the Drivers side!!
    Oh hang on we drive on the other side of the road to you guys DANG!!

9. ha ha.

10. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Now dont give me a bad time I have seen this done and it works.Turn the pump over you will have to plug the small water hole on one side. The pump dont know its on upside down. now stop laughing

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ok :eek:, crazy question, crazy answer. If it's a short pump, mount it upside down. You'll have to block off water bypass at the block and on the pump. But really, lets do it right ;)

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

13. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

You could fab a line out of 1 1/2" copper. I had to fab up a piece on my O/T ride. You can combine 45 & 90 degree angles to get the fit the way you want. Solder it up and you can polish the copper for a nice look if you want.

14. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

The firts time I saw this done I laugh so hard it hurt

15. Any ideas for the bottom hose?

16. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

it's only solder move the hole yourself...

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just have the outlet moved to the other side, or move it yourself. Don't make this silly.

18. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

If you running a mild sbc could you use an original ford V8 radiator and cap the unused inlet/ outlet ?

19. See Terpu's response. It worked on my Willys, and I've seen it on dozens of rods around town. Look for p-traps for under the bathroom sink, you'll need a couple of them and a bunch of clamps, but it'll still come in under $25 with the parts, clamp and radiator hose. Take the radiator hose with you and a ruler to get the right size. Easier and CHEAPER than wierd pumps or radiator mods.....

20. fatabone

fatabone

Our local radiator shop only charged me $20 to move the outlet. That seems reasonable compared to hoses or pipes running around the engine.

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I had a muffler shop bend a pipe to fit.

22. uncle buck

uncle buck

It was the upper hose for the Crown Vic. He is suggesting you look at the shape to see if it will work on the bottom of your car to solve you issue with this hose.