Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone have pictures of the X-sonic Vette?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SilentMind415, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Mojo

Mojo

I always thought it used hydros from a snow plow! Was there some other early custom that had front-only hydros like that?

I really love that car, I hope it gets a real, full restoration with no crappy "new updates" like a lot of old customs got.

2. Lon

Lon

I read in Rod and Custom that the car had port-a-power hydrualics. The owner got the idea from a frame straighting table in a shop. He used a hand pump between the seats to rasie and lower the car. Not disputing anything just different information and I would like to know which set up was used. Supposedly he got pulled over a lot for being to low. So they would rasie the car to get out of a ticket.

3. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Here's a two-page spread from Custom Rodder (the little book) - July 1961
    (a great issue if you like customized Vettes).
    Article by Darryl Starbird.

This car was featured in many magazines of the day, in at least 5 different versions. Here it is sporting the Opel grille, stacked quads, and pleated cove cover. Note the aluminum "turbine" wheels covers from George Barris, same as on the Sam Barrris car "El Capitola."

I believe Larry Watson was responsible for at least some of the various paint jobs.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

Mojo and Lon, heres an article from Lowrider magazine with more information on the hydraulics.
    http://www.lowridermagazine.com/historybook/0000lrm_history3/

Dave Thanks for the pics, its awsome to see this car from different perspectives. :D

5. uncleo

uncleo

Greetings from Long Branch,N.J., Americas first seashore resort....
    Ask a question, good bad indifferent, get an answer from people
    who really like to help.
    If memory serves me well I remember seeing te X-sonic in a show at either the Elizabeth,N.J. Armory or Paterson Armory back in the 60's....recently moved but have old poloroid pictures of the car somewhere in storage with all of my car books going back to the R&C little books.
    Plan to start on one of my long neglected projects this winter when I too may ask for advice.
    Geez for some stupid reason I can receive e-mails on my computer but I can't send any.
    LEE

6. lowmaster

lowmaster

Jan 2002 Rod & Custom also has an article on the X-Sonic. I'll Try to scan some pics tomorrow.

7. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Here's how it looked in 1961. The scan is a little fuzzy.
    From a Rod & Custom article on Larry Watson, June 1996.

Attached Files:

8. Rikster

Rikster

Same photo, better scan

[​IMG]

9. Rikster

Rikster

Another photo. Paul Kelly scanned this one for me.

I love the Tuck&Roll panels on the quarters and doors mathing the interior upholstery...

[​IMG]

10. mikes51

mikes51

Great photo, I like the show sign with those "sonic/sound" type circle
    shapes.

11. OlDad

OlDad
    from Fargo, ND

This is too cool! I was just eating some peanut butter sandwiches for lunch at work and came across this thread about the X-sonic. I made a model car version of the X-sonic back in the early '60s. I got a Vette model kit and began working on it. That's back before I could drive or own a car. I spent many hours sitting in my bedroom at night, listening to WLS in Chicago on the radio and customizing model cars with a can of Bondo in front of me. Anyway, I built a replica model of the X-sonic the best I could and this thread just brought that memory back. Thanks.

12. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

13. BigPoppa

BigPoppa
    from Denver

I was Googling Ron Aguirre today and came across this thread, so I just had to join! I am a fan of the Xsonic from the historic lowrider side. As it has been stated before, his was presumably the first car to be raised and lowered with what is the first version of hyraulically actuated suspension. I have also communicated with him through email. He's busy running Ultraseal http://www.ultraseal.com/ so I'd rather put his email out there, but he's a great guy, answered all my questions. Here is a small collection of photos that I have, I've added the ones on this site. I also have most of the mags that it's been featured in, didn't know about a couple here, but I will!

http://public.fotki.com/BigPoppa/kriss_stuff/car_stuff/the_x-sonic/

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth, not sure if I will be coming here very often, so please email me if you have questions. I will also be emailing this thread to Ron in case he would like to offer his own comments.

14. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

bad ass car!

15. Stone

Stone

Killer car. I and a friend emailed lowrider magazine with questions. He fowarded the email to Ron and he emailed us telling us a little about the car.

16. BigPoppa

BigPoppa
    from Denver

which issue is this?

17. Rikster

Rikster

I came across this photo of the X-Sonic.
    I guess this is one of the many Larry Watson paint jobs...
    wonder what it would have looked like in color.
    (I know it has been posted before... but that was only a very small photo)

That looks like the hydrolics remote control wires? run into the rear quarter scoop/latch!

[​IMG]

18. Gee

Gee
    from Australia

i bought a heap of little pages rod mags earlier this year, and had to grab this becuase of the cover:) mmm, love them bubbletops!

(january '63) this is probably the daggiest of the colourcombos it was in though.
    i can scan the article pages if anyones interested?...
    [​IMG]

19. Stone

Stone

Anymore pics of the X-sonic? Can you scan that article?

20. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

I remember reading that Bill Hines did most of the hydraulic work on the car. My Dad did some work on the car in the early '60's when it was at Carl Croomy's body shop in Glendale. He said Ron was always painting or touching up the car. He also remembers Ron cruising it around the Glendale Bob's Big-Boy by remote control.

21. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Anyone knows when this picture is taken? I have tried to find out without any luck, maybe someone identifies the two ther cars behind it??

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Just a couple of clicks of my mouse and I got a GREAT education. Thanks you guys!

23. X-sonic

X-sonic

X-sonic

Dr. J, I just read a post you put up in 06 - I was extremely pleased to hear that you were at that outdoor car show. It was the first time anyone had seen hydraulics. A group of us drove our custom cars from San Bernardino for the show.

Thanks a lot for remembering. I just received a call two days ago, about a custom show at the Long Beach Area in Sept. featuring all us old timers with any of the old cars (plus hundreds of new rods/customs. Look at showcaseofcustoms.com for additional info.

All you folks that were asking about photos and information on the X-sonic, let me know if you are still interested?

I see that some of the members have submitted some of my photos. I se that there were a lot of questions. I'll be glad to answer any and all questions.

I know I'm a few years late, but I hope to connect with some of you.

Ron Aguirre

kidcampbell71 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  24. OLLIN

OLLIN

Awesome!!! Welcome to the HAMB Ron!

Yes, please post any pics you have!

25. 'Mo

'Mo

Bring it on!!!

26. Are you kidding?!?!? We want any and all info we can get! Welcome, we are very lucky to have you here Ron.

P.S. What's it like to be a legend?

27. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Ron Hi didn't know you were on here, I talked to our buddy today. give him a few more days before you call him. I just scanned some pictures of your car, but not as many as I see here. Roger

28. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

Ron, x-sonic is one of my all time favorite cars. I'd love ANY information you could give on it. I've loved that car since I was a kid. Nice to see you on here!

29. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Cool! Welcome,Ron!:cool:

30. dooling

dooling

Type in x-sonic car on the web, the kustomrama will have a ton of them.