Register now to get rid of these ads!

does anybody make fake vintage battery covers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Apr 5, 2009.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seems like somewhere I saw something that had to do with disguising a new battery as a proper vintage battery for a restored car. not exactly sure what it was now.. anybody ever hear of such a thing. some sort of cover or something.

...or am I just nucking futs?

2. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

you can buy a vintage cased new battery,

3. poorboy

poorboy

i think i remember seeing something about that in a Rod & Custom mag. maybe...

4. 427c.i.

427c.i.

5. IceBox

IceBox
    from Orange CA

Yes ,, They make plastic covers to make new batteries look like old tar tops . Several places sell them ,, Heres one I found with a Goggle search http://www.lategreatchevy.com/product.asp?pf_id=512099&dept_id=1206

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hmmm. I wonder if that is what I saw.

that won't help. I got a 49 chevy and was thinking about a trunk mount battery, and a hollow old style one up front with my wiring fuse block hidden inside. the way the battery tray is its part of the fresh air ducts, so if you take the battery out it looks odd.

EDIT:: bunch of fast typers around here. !!

thanks for the links. bodies not even on the frame .. don't know what got me thinking of fake batteries

EDIT AGAIN:: I.m looking for a fake battery, not a vintage style modern battery,

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think I've been looking at too many vintage Chevrolet catalogs and magazines and seen too many 1949 ads with a cool drawing of a Delco battery.

8. RichG

RichG

I suppose you could find an old battery and carefully split it off of its bottom...that would give you a hollow shell to work with, if I understand what you're getting after correctly?

9. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Just saw one at the Statford Spring Swap Meet it was for a Delco battery.
    Sorry if I know you needed one I would have gotten it for you.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is an advertisement from a 1949 issue of "CHEVROLET DEALERS NEWS". that's a cool looking battery.

[​IMG]

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

Thats a great idea for hiding electrical, and anything else you feel the need to hide. If you do it, that would be a good tech post.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  12. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

13. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

This is a battery topper over a new AC Delco battery.

[​IMG]

14. nsh57

nsh57

This is one of the best companies around here for this. And like stated above, they use dry cell technology in alot of these. And an added bonus... They'll date code it for you if you want it done! I've personally ordered more than a few batteries from them, and they're very knowledgable with great service. Here's the link. http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/

They may be willing to sell you just the case? It's worth a try!

15. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Man that is a great idea! I always hate the way batteries look. I'm going to take a shot at making a vintage looking battery box and or cover. I'll let you know what I come up with!

Eddie

16. Squablow

Squablow

If you want a fake battery, I would do as someone suggested and cut the bottom of an old battery out so you just have the hollow shell.

As for actually disguising a battery, I think most look a lot nicer if the modern stickers are pulled off and cleaned so it's just a black square battery.

That battery top cover thing actually looks good in the above picture, kinda like a hidden electronic ignition or radial wide whitewalls, gives the look and the functionality.

17. To Tall

To Tall

thanks for posting cool idea

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a bit of a
    [​IMG]
    moment until I saw Twotoejoe"s photo and that really looks right in that car.

The fake battery hideout sounds like a great idea for getting things you want hidden hidden from view but keeping them close and handy.

19. Waldoz

Waldoz

Weaverville had the right place, Restoration Battery. Click on this, http://www.restorationbattery.com/group1bowtie.html maybe a little pricey but it ships dry and you can cut the bottom off like everyone else is saying. Plus, it's the look you want.

20. Waldoz

Waldoz

Here's the battery [​IMG]

21. Mister421

Mister421

I saw this post and I have to ask the question since I have a somewhat similar problem. I'm working on a early 90's car for someone. Car is a sleeper and he's putting the real battery in the trunk. Wants to keep the stock appearing battery under the hood but wants it to be fake. Does anyone know if you can buy a "display" battery that is empty? This wouldn't be problem if it were a vintage battery but all I get are stunned looks when I ask for a "modern" one. Anyone ever tried draining a modern battery and cutting the bottom out? Really.....We are not nuts......Just trying an idea. Thanks in advance.

22. BISHOP

BISHOP

If your looking for a newer style look, then I don't see why a company wouldn't sell you an empty shell. I would at least call and ask. Just tell them what your doing, and I'm sure they would help.

23. MP&C

MP&C