Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dodge flathead Ignition trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by arthurC3, Nov 2, 2014.

1. arthurC3

arthurC3

A big thank you to all the Tech on the HAMB that helped me fix the dizzy on my '38 Dodge flathead six.It was running fine and we were just pulling out of the driveway when she began to miss something terrible. I barely got it back in the garage when it died and would not start.Crankin' the six volt starter with a 12 volt charging system. No spark. Lots of fuel. Not even a back fire. I was nutty for a solution after I replaced the cap,rotor and points(which were burnt) I went to the Tech section and read the finer points of ignition science. Check all the basics until you find the answer. It turns out that the stock vacuum advance tube is pretty stout. When the dizzy hold down screw vibrates loose, the vacuum tube puts pressure on the housing and pushing it 50 degrees advanced. Whoo hoo! Thanks HAMBers!

2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

LOL!

Mine has done that exact thing. I put a star washer on that bolt to cure it.