Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dodge 241 camshaft effect on idle and vacuum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vetteson, Jul 25, 2018.

1. vetteson

vetteson

I recently installed my freshly rebuilt Dodge 241 hemi and have it running. The engine has 9:1 Ross pistons, headers, 0.060 overbore, 2X2 carburation. I used a refurbished Chrysler distributor, Auto-Lite "Flash Proof" #1626657 and a Pertronix # 1383 electronic ignition kit. The cam is a Chet Hebert regrind, square .427 lift, 268 deg. duration, 110 LC. The engine is unhappy below @1000 rpm at idle. It simply sputters out. I am getting about 15-16" vacuum at that rpm. Does that seem about right for this setup?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

BTT...........surprised no one has weighed in on this question.......

Ray

3. Andy

Andy

I had a 241 cam gear that was marked one tooth off. I check everything and found it.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Something like that (cam timing) crossed my mind but I wasn't confident enough in my reasoning to mention it. Can you explain how you found it...'degreeing' the cam ? and is so, how is that done?

Ray

Hombre likes this.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

At TDC exhaust the intake and exhaust valve should be open about the same. One tooth makes quite a difference one valve or the other will open quite a bit more. I would try choking it a little and see if a richer mixture helps. Like Forest Gump said one less thing.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

Would the engine have that much vacuum if it was a tooth off?

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a little more info regarding the carburation?

Also, what is your ignition timing doing when the engine "sputters out"? Try a little more advance at idle and report back.

8. vetteson

vetteson

If a cam tooth was off that would be a nightmare but the guy who rebuilt it is very thorough and he dialed in the cam. When I try to time it, I have only a moment when the VA is disconnected to put a light on it before it quits. I have it at about 8 deg advance right now with VA disconnected. The carbs a couple of matched 1950-52 Pontiac 8 cyl. WCD (Carter 720S). I rebuilt them and they seem to be fine. Is it possible that the engine is still "tight" and needs to be worked in more?

9. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

Have you tried moving the distributor around at idle to see if that changes things? Maybe try switching to points temporarily...electronic modules can do some funny things sometimes.