Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doane Spencer Thunderbird(s) on the block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 15, 2013.

1. froghawk

froghawk

The restyled original is extremely nice, but the clone, built from a 16,000 mile original by Spencer with the old original components from his T-bird for O'Mahoney is the one that really turns my screws!

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Any body that knows me well knows it's possible for me to go catatonic at the sight of a Halibrand Sport Mag... The original version of the original car is the reason that problem exists! Make mine O'Mahony's copie of the original please! Spencer's later updates of the original car just went too far over the edge for my tastes.

3. My dad and uncle did a lot of work on Doane's 32 and his Bird . When I see the photos of version #2, I think I'm looking at Lynn Wineland's Bird. After the Rod & Custom Dream Truck was wrecked they started a R & C Thunderbird project . Lynn came to the shop with the bird ,Lynn or someone had split the top of the front fenders from the cal to the headlight to lower the angle to the front. Dad and Clayton fixed that mess up frenched the lights and built the nose. There were 4 or 5 updates in R &C and some Bonneville runs with the car. Lynn owned the 32 after Doane ,then Neal East . Did lynn own Doane's bird for a time or am I all wet? I was about 15 at the time and now I'm 70 . I spoke to Spencer Murray today and we don't know for sure. I'm thinking Doane got the car back and restored to version #1

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

5. cabong

cabong

The Wineland Bird, not to be confused with the Spencer Bird, was worked on by Valley Custom at the same time (sorta) that the Dream Truck was being done. The body work was mostly done by the end of '56, and was much different than the Spencer Bird.

6. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

8. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

What a mess. Yeah, both cars need to go to the same shop and the proper parts used to restore the original car. I suppose what's left over could be used to build a street touring pro donk whatever.

9. Back in the nineties Kirk White had a tent next to our vendor tent and he had the Doane Spencer T-Bird, the Ray Brown Roadster, and the Tommy Foster 32 Roadster. The man has always had the wherewithal to have the very best.

10. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

What time frame did Doane build the second car, I was driving race truck for Hotchkiss in 88/89 and he rented space from Doane here in town and I thoight Doane was building that bird about that time or a little later.