Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you like where you live?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olddaddy, Jan 28, 2007.

1. olddaddy

olddaddy

Our place, in what was rural Florida is being eaten alive by progress. It's just a matter of time till the new neighbors decide my old stuff is unacceptable and the zoning Nazis take action. We have decided Florida is too much for us and it's time to think about a new home.

So, where do you live, and do you like it there? We would like to go west, to maybe Washington, Oregon, or even very Northern California, like Arcata. We like rural places, but a nice town would be ok. Our daughter is four, so schools will be important in a few years.

Mostly, we just want something that is not Florida. Where would you go? Where's the best place for an old car guy to end up and still be able to have a few cars or trucks out behind the barn?

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Texas is all about minding your own business. The metro aeas that are outgrowing their borders may have the zoning and home owner's association issues, but rural counties leave you be. It's easy to buy property within 30 minutes of a good job market and still be in the country with few close neighbors. Central Texas has 300+ days of sun and no hurricanes. Come on out.

3. wanna-b

wanna-b

Central Illinois is ok, but I seem to be heading to Missouri or Texas depending on where the next job shows up.

4. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

No I plan on retiring to the sticks in va or tn

5. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

I live in Northern California and love it, I'm actually from Sacramento and within an hour are plenty of rural areas that will probably never be more then rural yet within driving distance there are also towns and cities so you'll never be to far away if you need something. Good luck in the hunt.

6. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

I hate IL. I lived Seattle while I was in the USN, and I cry every time I see anything about the northwest. My fiancee' is from SoCal so I guess that is where we are headed. I like so cal though I hope................

7. wayfarer

wayfarer

I live in Eastern Washington. It doesn't get the press that Seattle does, since half the state is basically a desert, but Spokane is just where it starts getting nice again. We have a true 4 season climate, with warm summers and snow in the winter. There are lots of recreation opprotunities in all seasons close. Even though we can only drive rods about 8 months out of the year, the winter gives a chance to make changes and get some work done. There are plenty of rural areas around that aren't about to grow soon. I just thought since you expressed some interest in the northwest, I'd open your eyes to something a little different. I love it here.

8. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

im from northwest ohio and i hate it with a passion, louzy unsecure job market and no scene whatsoever...of anything!!! we are planning on moving more south, tennessee maybe, in a few years...I HATE WINTER ALSO

9. Terraizer

Terraizer

I live in a unincorparated Community and have been in the same place for over 20 years so we are grandfathered in. They can't say shit about my junk, even though new neighbors have tried, we have ran off 6 out of state families that moved in around us, once they moved in first words out of there mouths are we had to clean up our junk, but we are still here and they are not. We have 10 acres so theres no one getting any closer to us.

10. Clark

Clark

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I don't think there is the perfect place to live. That said...

I wanted to move to Florida when I was younger. Seemed like a good place to be. Winters suck up here..yada yada yada!

Now I doubt you could make me move too far. For my car related life this area is perfect. Sure we have cold miserable winters...great to work on cars. Lots of great shows and swap meets in this area...doesn't get any better than Hershey! There also seems to be a really good suply of old cars and parts just ripe for the pickin.

Home is what you make it! There's nosey neighbors everywhere!!
    Clark

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I am very content where I live, in a county island on a half acre in the middle of the city, all the retired neighbors bring me Hot Rod parts and I can walk out of my kitchen into my shop, what more could any red blooded motor head want. Oh yeah and I am a block away from the airport and a nudey bar. Awesome.

12. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Nope! please tell me more! BTW its ZERO here! so does that mean ther is no temp here?

13. Scott K

Scott K

No...born & raised in southern Michigan ...So far I've been able to endure the implosion of the domestic auto industry, freezing ass winter, mosquitos, tornado's, and Detroit (shithole).....for how much longer???
    I've been looking in Arizona, & Oregon, may have to take a peek at Texas too.

14. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

Yah I have spent alot of time in eastern washington. From gearge& moses lake all the way Couer DeAlene, ID

15. 2xcrash

2xcrash

I moved out of Los Angeles 6 years ago. I couldn't take the people and home prices are way out of reach. I moved to the Palm Springs area and it's happening here also. Plus with all the crap Cali has to go thorugh with crazy Goverment getting in your life. I'm ready to split. I'll miss surfing but I'm ready to bail also

16. Hop-up

Hop-up

Texas is amazing, im in houston- i LOVE texas, but i HATE Kety [ west houston] so im trying to move out to a more rural area. Like scottybaccus said - they leave ou be.

17. Blackie

Blackie

I love living in Oregon... There are some things I really find hard to live with, but I think most have to do with the city life in Portland. i was just in a small town called Yamhill today picking up a '34 Dodge, and fell in love. There are a lot of little towns here that still feel like small town america.

18. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

If you are able to choose where to live based on personal preferences and not job or career demands, you definitely live a charmed life! I’m jealous, shit look where I’m stuck living, I’m not here because of the weather.
    If I lived in FL and wanted to live in a more rural area but stay in the south I’d choose southwest GA. Plenty of low cost land and lots of opportunity to build in a rural setting.
    If you are up for a further move TX is the first choice. I respect those that mind their own business and way less humidity in west Texas.

19. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Looks to me like we should all go visit each other for a weekend and see how shitty we all have it.:D Anyone like to Ice fish? :D I have lots of questions for you so Please tell me more.

20. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I hate to break it too you, but you don't live in northern Cal. Your 6 1/2 hours from Oregon.
    I live just south of Eureka. I have lived in this area nearly my entire life. I love it here, there is a reason I moved and came back. Very mild climate, oceans, mountains, no big cities for hours. There is also a bitching drag strip here as well as a circle track if your into that sorta thing. I always tell people that bitch about life here to get the hell out then. I definately encourage more like minded hot rodders to check this place out.
    If you want any more info about the area PM me.

21. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

I live in Indiana, and love it. Indiana has a grreat car culture the birthpllace car racing, close to Louisville and the street rod nats , but........................to damn far from Bonneville

22. B + M

B + M
    from sacramento

no, I don't like were I live.my neighbors don't hassle me about my projects, but traffic, gangs, crime, progress, and this hyphy 30" rim thing is really pissing me off. I too am thinking small rural community.

23. Muttley

Muttley

Ask royalshifter this question again in July. My backyard 7-23-06:

[​IMG]

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like the car activity around the southwest ohio area but I am thinking on a move to a slightly warmer climate,I live in the city of dayton school district which is the lousiest in the state and they want to raise the school tax by 500 dollars a year in may. If it does I am gone as my taxes will be as high or higher then the ritzy areas of town so I will be going to the country untill I head to warmer areas. Jeff

25. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

It is not a bad place to live here, not a whole lot car related to do. The weather sucks, its 12 degrees now, a week ago is was damn near 60 and tomorrow will probably be -10. Oh and the scenery sucks too...unless you like flatland and cornfields.

26. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

8,000 people, low taxes, neighbors don't bother me, close (4 hours ) to Milwaukee or Minneapolis but who the hell wants to go to a city unless you have to. I have lived in a lot of places including Cali, always end up back here. Wouldn't live anyplace else.

It's small enough that we don't have many of the things I hear a lot of guy's complaining about.

The best part is the winter. The cold keeps most of the candy ass's away and let's us enjoy the season.

B:)B

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wal-mart thermometer you know damn well it was only 113 degrees.

28. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Kentucky (Atleast, the eastern front) is actually a decent place to live. Land is cheap, rural, and your still not too far away from some decent cities. Winters, kinda mild, there is still some old cars around that aren't completly rusted. Not everyone is a complete redneck and its not a giant trailer park. Just a bunch of hills, trees, and rivers. No one bothers me, even though we've got a small junkyard growing right next to a county road, and no one cares either.

29. Brickster

Brickster

I think the best place on the planet by far is Laramie Wyoming.
    I just happen to have a home for sale there that I could make you a very good deal on. PM me for details

Brick

30. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

We love it here in Arizona, tho it's a little hot in summer for outside car repairs. I'm out west of Tucson, maybe 15 mins away. Excellent scenery, minimal neighbours, but you trade one hell for another.... we have barking dogs and punk kids on quads, but the city has gangs and traffic, dirt and noise. Both areas have crack and tweakers, and the petty theft those phuckers cause. But yes, I love it here!

Do what I did, move where the mind and spirit dictate, the rest will come just fine (money,etc... )