Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a car that is not for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have a 'brood'...three '27 Ts: roadster, tub, and a coupe(ster) '50 F1 and '55 F100; '46 Fordor and '54 Ford Coupe;
    '63-1/2 Galaxie, and O.T. '66 VW. (best John Wayne voice: "There's more...")
    Constant line of 'smart guys' wanting 'the white Ford'...(Galaxie) Always the goad, "You'll never fix it..." Yeah, right.
    So annoying, the halfwits that come over and talk down to me... ("Oh, I saw that old Ford, might be willing to take it off your hands...What year is it?")
    My answer: "Y'know, I'd really like to believe ya...but I just can't!"
    Can't and won't get rid of any of 'em.

els, ladyhrp and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have tried to trade for some thing I like better or could enjoy
    at the moment. Two projects are to much for me. That said I
    don't think I would sell my bone stock 31 model A. The projects
    I just keep plugging away at.

chryslerfan55, els and ladyhrp like this.
  3. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

I still have cold sweats over my 33 tub I sold to fund the purchase of my 5 window. The deuce will never be for sale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I used to work with an E.R. Physician who drove an older, slightly beat up, dirty Datsun pickup, with a camper shell (why a Dr. would drive such a vehicle, who knows?). He was ALWAYS being asked if he'd like to sell it. He would't, and his wife (also a Physician) had a sign made up, "NOT FOR SALE", that he mounted to the camper shell windows. Someone said, everything's for sale, for the right price; I'm not sure if that's true or not. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. Karrera

Karrera

Its not a hot rod but my 1967 Land Rover is definitely Not For Sale. The thing is - I did sell it once - back in 1978.
    It took me almost twenty years to track it down and buy it back and another twenty years to get a good start on the frame up restoration that is my number one retirement project. I absolutely will not make that mistake again.

a much younger me and my Land Rover in 1975
    upload_2017-9-15_20-13-27.jpeg

rjones35, woodsnwater, els and 7 others like this.
  7. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

The Comet pictured in my avitar, I have owned it 49 years and will never part with it.

8. I hope the '33 ended up with a member of the Feral Sports Car Club. It would be right at home. :cool:

9. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

My wagon will never be for sale as long as I'm living,it's been part of my life since I was a child.

[​IMG]

10. They're all for sale.

I'll take my boxer shorts off and sell them to someone if they really want them and offer enough money.

els, too many fords, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  11. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I made a deal to sell my '35. When my kids found out they pitched a fit so I guess that it isn't for sale.

12. That's the used car dealer in you Ron,as far as the boxer shorts- your a sick man! o_O HRP

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Bowtie Coupe, els, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  13. They all may be for sale. But no one could afford one of them. My boxers can be had for free. Lol But my Rods have {way} more value to me, than to anyone else. You can't put a price on a sentimental value. Try and prove me wrong. ;) Ron...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'll sell anything I can make a decent profit on. That said, I've sold several cars I wish I had back.

els, da34guy, fourspeedwagon and 2 others like this.
  15. ken bogren

ken bogren

I did have, but didn't find out until after I sold it. Apparently I'm not very good at listening between the lines. :)

els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 51 Merc coupe that I bought when I was 16 sold when I was 17 because I had blown the engine up and couldn't afford to fix it and then bought back when I was 19 when a buddy spotted it in a field and we tracked down the owner who was a former classmate of mine and I bought it back for 10.00 and we towed it home on a chain. It sat behind my grandfathers barn for years and I drug it out and put a 350 Buick in it after I moved back from Texas in the mid 70's, put a 350 Olds in it when the Buick gave it up and either my wife or I drove it as our daily driver depending on what other vehicle we had at the time. I made one trip to Texas and then to Bonneville in it in 1988. I tore it apart to do a lot of mods to it and put a 455 Olds in it and life fell apart when My son got killed in April of 89. After I didn't have the school shop to keep it in I moved it around a few times and when I was catching hell for it being where I had it stored a guy offered far more money than I thought it was worth at a moment when I was broke and needed a place to live.
    I had stated many times over the years that the car wasn't for sale and it was never "for sale" it was part of the family and had been a part of a lot of our life happenings. There is always that chance that one's not for sale at any price rig might get sold.
    The good thing is that the guy who bought it and as far as I know still owns it did some really nice work on it, fixed a lot of things that needed fixing and put a nice paint job and interior on/in it. His choice of wheels and tires isn't mine nor are the painted bumpers but there is nothing on it that can't be changed with a trip to the tire store and unbolting some pieces and sending them to the chrome shop.

chryslerfan55, els, dqppdq and 2 others like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

103_0908.JPG 103_0867.JPG Roadster 2007 B'ville 021.jpg
    The 1939 Indian was bought in 1943 by my father.(Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to by it) The 1956 Ford was a memory of the one my mother had when I was in High School and used it on dates. The roadster let my son and I drive it to the Bonneville 200 MPH Club and the SCTA record book since 1985......You really think I would sell these?

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always tried never to fall in love with anything that can't love me back.

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  19. gene-koning

gene-koning

Everything is for sale, but only when I'm ready to sell it. If I'm not ready, there isn't enough money to buy it.

Lately, I've had a lot of people offering to buy my coupe, but I'm not ready to sell it. I had one of those asses tell me everything was for sale, just name my price. We exchanged words back and forth for quite a while until I finally gave him a starting point price. $200K! After his jaw hit the ground, he told me it wasn't worth that kind of money. I told him it was to me at the time.
    I guess his "name your price" was just another line of BS. I told him to get out of my face, and don't come back.
    When the day comes I'm ready to sell my coupe, there won't be anyone interested, I'll end up almost giving it away. Gene

20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

My car has been in my family since 71 when I was 4
    I grew up in that car, and my father who was dying with ALS passed it on to me with the words..."just don't sell it"
    I have the birthday card that he gave me giving me the car in a scrapbook..of course i was rebuilding it at the time with my money etc.. but...with 2 sons of my own, unless someone offered me stupid money, its going to stay in the family

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My 58 Chevy can't be for sale, because it is in my will to my grandson who tells me he will also never part with it!

22. Why is question asked time and time again ? Now I have to make an appointment with my therapiss.

els likes this.
  23. Kind of hard to tell from the angle of the picture is it an 88? I have my dad's '62 109 waiting in line to redo.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

had a lot of cars since my first in 1956, sold for many reasons mostly money to pay taxes, one issue of street rodder had 3 of my ex cars in it, Jon Wright at custom chrome has 2 of my 32 3w's. have more than i need but bought them reasonable years ago and this is my hobby, wife and kids can sell them , now i just jack stand untill i want to drive them. i do most all work on them, will finish 2 this month. a 27 T-v8, and a scratch built 57ish sports car hand built alum body, 26 years finishing it.

25. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

My 1956 Chevy 150.

In 1971, when Dad got out of the service, he took a job for the local Co-op. One day he was out changing a tractor tire and he noticed a couple tri-5 Chevys in the trees. He ended up buying the '56 for $50. He brought gas, battery and an air tank and drove the car home. He made a hot rod out of it and raced it some. As years went by, his young family and starting a business became more important. The car ended up parked out behind the garage and was eventually sold and bought back 4 times. The last time was at my urging when I was 12 years old. The car had been torn apart and it took us 3 trips to get all the pieces. Dad said "here, now it's your project." That was 27 years ago and I finally "finished" the car this year. I'm not saying I never considered selling it when the project was driving me up the wall. But, now that it is finally finished, it is definitely not for sale.

Here is a pic when Dad had started working on it. 56 BandW pic.jpg

Thor1, Bowtie Coupe, els and 6 others like this.
  26. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have 2. One is like family and the other one is for my son, when I am gone.

Attached Files:

Bowtie Coupe, els, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  27. I have a short list of cars I have sold, including a 38 Ford tudor, 39 Ford coupe, 47 Chev coupe, 58 Mercedes 190SL, and a 64 Corvette coupe. I regret the sale of each of these cars to this day.
    I bought my Cameo in 1968, and am frequently asked if it is for sale. I have learned to quote a ridiculous price, and when I get a comment that my price is unrealistic, I state that I am not the person attempting to make a deal. It stops them from coming back to bother me.
    I sold the Corvette in 1970, and my wife has still not forgiven me.

els, chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I have sold many over the years that I regret selling. right now I have my '30 coupe, and my stock '51 Merc. I think about selling the Merc every once in a while in the last 2 years, I have had it since '94. every time I get it out in the sun out of the garage , I stand off a little distance, and think , Damn, I like the way that car looks. that cures me for a while, it is still not for sale, but------maybe enough money-----Nah.

chryslerfan55, els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

In followup to my other posting; I made no mention of mine. ALL my cars I've sold I've regretted it in some form or another. The 56 150 above reminded me of one of mine I said I would never sell; a 56 Model 150 Utility Sedan (AKA Business Coupe). But, it was a drag car/bracket car, and I wanted to step up to a front engine dragster. That car I paid $80.00 for, sold the rolling chassis for $1500.00, the wheels/tires to the same guy later on, and then the Powerglide/converter even later on to the same guy. After that, it had been through at least one other owner, and then I saw it on E-Bay a few years back for $56,000.00 (that is right!); all done up as a Pro Street car that would run in the eights. I even E-Mailed the guy back and forth a few times to give him some history, and then he wanted me to buy it back. I guess it's why my current 56 Sedan Delivery is the last one, and will never be for sale; besides, my daughter wants it, not that I really want her to have it. She does't take care of things; that trait she got from her Mother. My wife does't want it (she won't even sit in the car!), so she'd just give it to our daughter anyway. The rest of my cars don't/would't fit into the confines of the HAMB's rules. Only sell a car to get something else, or if you can get more than you have in it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

els, Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.