Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you "build your hot rod" or "buy and drive"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clips221, Nov 6, 2011.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd have no issue buying a car all done, if it was pretty close to what I wanted, but I rarely see that car. I end up building from next to nothing most the time, because I have an idea in my head and can't find that car that fits the dream pefectly.
    I'm also cheap, and I end up buying a lot of swap meet or CL parts, and doing all the work myself.

2. Dave50

Dave50

Mine is a survivor but I have gone through the brakes,fuel lines,fuel tank, suspension, fixed a leaky radiator on and on check my build thread I wouldve built a similar car if i hadnt found this. I have built many others just for customers though.

3. Metal Mangler

Metal Mangler
    from Washington

I build my own as well as cars for other people. What i think you have to remember is that not everyone enjoys building and not everyone has the skill ( some people think they do and create crap) and some people like the guy we are building the 23 for cant because he is disabled. Either way everyone wants to be involved in some way and the fact that we build because we enjoy it we are helping expand the hobby and make it available to everyone else. If you look at the amount of hot rods driving around vs how many people are on this board building their own youll see that there is not alot of people that have the mechanical aptitude to build therefore they buy.

Matt

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we can't afford to buy. so we're building

5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well said... 2 thumbs up...

6. BillyM

BillyM

Personally, I build, as that is what "scratches my itch". I take no offense though to anyone who may not be able to SAFELY build a car and prefers to buy one. How we enjoy this fantastic hobby is a matter of personal choice, so there's no sense in looking down in either direction.....IMO!

7. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

i seem to always buy something that needs work to be driven im too damn cheap to buy a driver

8. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

yes.....I do both...but always make it mine...

9. Mac_55

Mac_55

I wanted a 55 chevy ever since i sold mine when my first son was born . But no way could i afford what i wanted , blown bbc , dropped front axle etc . SO ive been working on mine when funds allow now for 3 years . And to be honest , i love every minute of it . Plus i know its done how i wanted it done and dont have to worry what some other jackleg did underneath to save a couple bucks.

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If I had the money I'd be doin a whole lotta both..

11. kustomcar53

kustomcar53

It's about the sense of accomplishment when you're finished and that simple fact that you're not fixing somebody else's crude work. And, it'll turn out just how you want it- I don't know about you guys but, unless you want stock, no car is ever just the way I would want it... I've never seen another '53 Ford done up like mine, and that's why I'm glad I built it.

12. Build it, Drive it, Break it, Fix it, its that simple! :D

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've built all my cars and never bought anyone Else's project. That way I get what I want, don't have to change anything and don't have anyone else to blame. Fortunately I have a trade background, have the skills and tools along with a shed; and am not fazed when I take something on. I admit I source out engine rebuilds as my expertise doesn't extend that far. I learned a lot along the way and learn from others mistakes. I can look back and say I built that. Sadly being single now, not by choice, the latest project is taking longer than I planned.

14. chevy3755

chevy3755

i like the build journey.............

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At this stage in my life, I have no desire to buy what someone else has built. Building it is the fun for me. Driving it is secondary. I wouldn't even enjoy building a car from brookeville or some of the other reproducers....but that's just me. When I retire, I doubt that will change. I like knowing how my car is put together.

16. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

I have built many cars and for me it's the building,after there done I find i'm bored with them very soon and hardly ever drive them mostly they sit while I build the next one. I have even given them away for hardly any thing to make room for the next one. think if I bought one first thing i'd do is take it apart and start over. the fun is in the agony of the I DID IT. whats next?

17. S.F.

S.F.

rather buy a running car and hop in and drive...not in the hobby for the build side...Ive built cars before...just a pain in the ass for me, although it looks like im about to build a 34 pickup, so parts of the build are fun i guess

18. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

If I hit the Lottery, I buy one to drive while I'm building the next one.