Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Do what you want" is SOOO . . . overrated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

slammed I can't read anything you post. I don't know why but I keep drifting to the left.

Nothing better then a built vintage motor to me.

Body mods, there is a fine line between awesome and junk. Stay close to tried ideas, as a gauge, but go beyond and more. This is coming from a bit of a restorer, well at least that's how I roll.... kinda'

2. 4rod

4rod

I keep it as simple as possible, it seems to come out way cool, like keeping the straight axle instead of the overrated MII...or keeping the bench or split bench instead of buckets...keeping it somewhat original, gives it some authenticity

3. choptvan

choptvan

wow. This got a bit ridiculous huh? I was a newbie once, FNG. Had no clue really. I had ideas. But they needed polished. They were just rough around the edges. Before I even joined the HAMB i was on another site.That was where I learned how to weld. Well enough actually that when I went to wyotech to further advance myself and get more integrated into both the hoddy and job market, that i passed all my tests on the first try. All done very well. Was very proud of myself. I learned from that site cause of criticism. I admit. I was pissed the first time I recieved it. My project was called a piece of shit and what not. Hurt my pride. But once I got past all of the feelings, and realized I could gain from it, I stopped working on the car. I set aside a few weeks and just practiced welding. Got where I was efficent enough and comfortable enough to really get going again. Then my " rat rod " was solid built and not hack built! HA HA! jk jk it really was a rat rod though. And by the time I had gotten to this site, my tastes were already changing. Coming to this site really opened my eyes to better ideas. Better built cars overall. And just better looking in general. What I hate about his site is the people that just rip others apart before reaizing what the other is trying to do. Thought this site was for teaching each other? But lately I wonder if it is just for showing off pictures and braggin? Hopefully I am wrong about that.

4. 4rod

4rod

Choptvan...Right on brother...

5. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

This is where my low budget saves me. I have lots of time to think things through before I can afford to do anything.

6. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

From a young FNG , I drive, built a (here we go) chopped channeled model a. I agree completely with not ruining clean cars, or building junk for shock factor. However lots of folks would call my car that junk, because its not painted or its shot full of holes. I am 25 and supporting a family, which came along while me and the missus were still in college, I didn't finish, worked so she could. Not a pile of hot rod money at my house... Found my sedan in the woods and cut five elm trees out of the middle of it. Brought it home and over the next 2 years put in on an a frame with your average split bone drop I beam front end. After wobbly wires it went on 40, steelies(no spidercaps) an out front it has its years shell. Sadly it has a small Chevy in it but that's all I could afford... I tried my best though and managed points ignition Holley 94s and nothing shiny except the scoops... It's very hard to find anything for that engine that isn't ugly these days... It's not painted because I haven't learned body work yet. Not because I like rusty cars. I built every bit of it myself with no experience... Taught myself because I wanted a hot rod that bad... I scrounged and sold and swapped to get it done, if that's not what this place is about I'm lost... By the way I'm now stuffing a hemi in an A coupe on deuce rails... And I'm whacking it too!

7. disgorge........

Attached Files:

8. slammed

slammed

Yea, like not even close. The 283 of then is not at all like the animal LS of today. On this site? No. Anywhere else knock yourselves out.

9. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

amen brother:d

10. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I don't like some of the radical Z cars where the symmetry is gone. The radius of the of the fender, or the body line where the fender was, no longer works with the wheel and tire. The stretch and tractor grill don't do it for me either.
    That being said, after my '54 is done I would like to build a straight forward model A roadster. No radical ideas just a plain old roadster like you might have seen running around in the 40's or 50's. Something to be a cool daily driver.
    There are plenty of people out there that would see that on the road and not like it or say that it shouldn't be on the road, especially the freeway with my 8 year old daughter riding shotgun.
    They don't have to like it any more than I have to like the design of someone else's car.
    To each their own.
    The only ones that I take exception to are the rat rods. That's because so many of them are not safe. I look at them on the road and they do the damnedest things. Lots of stuff that I don't want to see on the road that my kid is riding on. Mostly lazy building with a touch of don't know what they are doing.
    Well that and ricers.

11. I don't think anybody's saying don't chop a top or perform a tasteful section/channel; quite the opposite. Just seems like there have been several newbs get their panties in a wad over the last few years when their mail slot windowed, double Z'd, laid out rat rod [lites] aren't well received on an unapologetically 'traditional' rod & custom message board.

Tradition as I understand it has nothing to do with how much money you've got into it - it has to do with style, taste, and historical accuracy.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  12. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

My taste in hot rods hasn't changed in the short time I've been on the HAMB......or even since I was a little kid reading about hot rods in the magazines in the early 60's. The HAMB has given me a greater appreciation for mild customs.
    I think you're off target with the comment about the original HAMBers. I think it would be more accurate to say the original HAMBers and a whole bunch that joined later have a strong dislike for the new guys that want to re-define what's traditional!
    The rules of this site are pretty clear, yet someone always wants to interpret things to suit their their vision of "tradition".

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

Its really amazing to me when I see somebody get completely bent out of shape when they find out their car doesnt fit the HAMB parameters.

And they try and argue that this would be somehow the HAMB's fault or they try to shoot the messenger by getting unglued on the HAMBer who pointed out the car doesnt fit.

Its no big deal...

Not all cars fit.

I bet pretty much all websites have limits to the subjects or content they want to host.

Just take your Off Topic car somewhere else.

Not all my cars fit the HAMB either.
    But between the HAMB Social Groups and all the other sites out there I can find a place to post about any of them, If I want to.

14. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Well that makes sense. There is absolutely nothing traditional about some of the radical "custom" rigs I see.
    I took the O.P. to be talking about a matter of liking them, but calling them traditional is a whole different thing. The rat rods and radical chop and Z job cars are not traditi0onal at all.

15. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Too many self proclaimed experts giving their opinion of what a car should or should not look like.

16. castirondude

castirondude

Yea. "Traditional" turns into "if I haven't done this already, you cannot do it"

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Uh 1955 would be the 265 Mr Traditional.
    Lets see some pics of your traditional built car, or do you have one? Or just like complaining about those who build what they want and not what you want?

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  18. metalshapes

metalshapes

And BTW...

Its TECH WEEK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.