Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do these skirts look funky?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vorhese, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Vorhese

Vorhese

They do to me. These are 53 Desoto skirts I got from Big Jims. There's a very small amount of fender sticking out below the trim for them to contact with. It just looks like they hang down too low, or designed to be used without the trim, or maybe like they're designed for a different vehicle all together. Any solutions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yes i am sorry they dont fit anything on the car. cut them up and make them fit.

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

They dont appear to follow the body line very well. looks better without them. Nice looking car though!

4. they do not look like they were made for your car , it looks a lot better without them

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

they look universal... fits everything but your car. I'm just guessing here but I would say a factory skirt would fit inside the wheelwell.

either way they don't look right

6. 33Master_Eagle

33Master_Eagle

I have to say I agree, I love skirts on an ol' car but these just don't fit right

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There ugly, skirts would suit the car but not them.
    If they are steel you could pound on them a bit to see if you can get them to work or sell them and buy a pair that works?

Doc.

8. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

They look out of place on your Nice Looking car, I think that set your showing is foxcraft.. .. there are factory Originals out there that are shallower , but look real good on those Desotos.. Nice Car by the way... ..

9. Vorhese

Vorhese

I don't think Desoto made factory skirts for this year, at least I haven't seen them. These are FIBERGLASS. I do like the look without the skirts, but I'm a little bummed on wasting my money on something that doesn't fit. Maybe I'll shave omeone make me a custom pair or something. Dang! Or if these elusive factory skirts pop up. I've watched ebay for years and never seen any, I have seen these for sale before.

10. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Funky fresh all right . Your car looks way better without them . I think they sent you the wrong ones , those can't be for your car . Good fitting ones might look real nice though .

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a skirt fan so I like them with the skirts. all I would do is cut the top of the skirt
    to make it match up with your side chrome. When you cut the skirt, you will be able
    to raise the bottom of the skirt so it will match up with the body. It wouldn't take much
    to do.

To skirt or not to skirt, you still have a kool ride...

Happy Trails,

Mick

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

they kinda look like 51 merc skirts to me. cut down the top of them till they fit

13. extremely funky. fab them in or sell them.

14. budd

budd

they look like 55 chevy skirts to me, i like full skirts on cars..lol

Attached Files:

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That skirt makes your ass look fat.

16. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Yep!..........better off mittout!

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

Nice car and skirts would look great, just not those skirts. Get them off quick.

18. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

19. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

they remind me of this:

[​IMG]
    They just don't belong mate

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

FUNKY? Heck yes, they look funky. They don't fit at all. They are contoured incorrectly and are too tall.

They don't do any more for the car, darn nice one by the way, than a sheet of plywood and a handful of sheet metal screws would do, paint optional.

What those skirts are is a universal fit for many different cars, not a specific for your car...obviously! By and large factory skirts always fit inside the wheel well flush with the fender/quarter panel.
    I believe these may even be the same as I had on my 48 Plymouth coupe years ago.

Either you were shipped the wrong skirts in error OR the seller doesn't know what fits what.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  21. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I have an idea though...
    You could form some L to follow the wheel lip and cut the panel from an old fender or quarter. Shouldn't be too hard to find something with a similar crown and rolled curve to it and then weld that to the L.
    a drywall supply place like whitecap would be a good source for some 1-5/8" framing L in light or heavy guage

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He beat me to it. I'd say that they are a glass copy of 51 Merc skirts.

You could cut them up to fit or make a pattern of the opening and make your own. I don't think that you can get the glass skirts to fit the shape of the lower fender curves though.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

23. doctorZ

doctorZ

24. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Send'em back, or cut them up to fit.
    Working with fiberglass is EASY...if a bit itchy.....

25. Vorhese

Vorhese

Well I bought them 2 years ago and am just now getting around to wanting to use them. Can't send em back. I'll probably just sell them. I'd rather not try to make something that doesn't fit... fit. I'll rock no skirts for now until something better comes along.

26. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

THEY ARE PERFECT! just kidding your car is a sweet lookin ride without skirts but I do like the looks of budds idea.

27. I like it without them personally. If you can get them to fit and roll with the bottom of the qtr, they will lookd good. Right now they just fon't flow.

28. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

you could find out what they fit and graft those wheel openings into your car

29. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You have got to be kidding ! You already know the answer without asking . You should shoot the person that sold them to you ! SORRY !

OH well ...you did try but didn't work .
    On the good side I really love your ride ! :D

30. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

yep...they do look funky