Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIXCO tachs..Help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tsquared, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Does anyone have any experience with these old tachs?

mine has a lable on the back that says to remove the lower diode
    for 6 cyl use... that has been done...it came out of an old `49 chev fastback with 6 cyl engine...it was drag car in the early 60s.

It can be mounted in the dash or in the chrome can, on the dash or on the steering column....green white and black wires come out the back.
    half sweep face like a moon, or sun.

what do I need to make this work with a 8 cylinders??

Thanks!

Tom

2. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Tom,I have used several Dixcos,and have the original installation instructions from a NOS one. If you would like a copy,pm me with your address and I'll send you one.
    I need a little more info on your application,but if it's 12 v neg ground,the green wire connects to the neg. side of your coil,black is your ground,and white is your power source.You will need the diode for an 8cyl.
    hope this helps, Tim

3. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Thanks, Tim!

I sent you my address by email.

I really apprediate the help!

Tom

4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

If it says "for 6 cyl..." it should have 1 resistor present for 8 cylinder. If it says remove " xxx for 6 cyl, both for 4 cyl..." it should have 2 resistors for 8 cylinder operation.

5. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

It has 2 resistors left... but shows a cut soldered joint,[2] where another was...It appears to have had 3 diodes at one time.

Does that make any sense?

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

resistors and diodes are two different animals. One adds resistance to a circuit, the other only lets electricity flow in one direction. Normally you would only need to clip one side of the resistor to remove it from the circuit. If this has been done then its a simple matter to solder it back together. If it has been completely removed then you will have to get a resistor of the proper resistance and solder in its place. If the two remaining resistors are indentical (same color bands) then I would take the tach to radio shack and get another one just like them and solder it in place of the missing one.

7. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Thanks lobucrod...I was starting to come to the same conclusion..

I`ll wait for the instructions being sent by hammeredcoupe.

Thanks again!

Tom

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Here's a pic from a year ago. I took a couple pics of a Dixco 97 and 797. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

9. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Tom,I sent your installation instructions today.I included pics of the back of a couple 97's I had,but mrTbody beat me to it in his post! lol,great minds think alike.I also put directions for a Sun Tach just for reference.Hope this helps....Tim

10. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Thanks guys!!!

Mine is a model 97... I hope I can get it going again...

The old guy I got it form is 83 years old... He`s forgotten a lot, but he remembers cutting one of the resistors out to use it in the old 6 cyl chevy.

Thanks to all who helped!

Tom