Register now to get rid of these ads!

distress cvhrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyrods, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Lono

Lono

Another lightning rod post.

I notice you didnt ask for opinions, just how to do it, so keeping that in mind I'll throw a couple ideas at you.

To get your fresh chrome to haze, sand blast it with food grade baking soda. That will dull the finish.

To deepen the effect, hit area's with blasting grade baking soda to roughen areas.

For deep pitting, hit the same area again with some glass bead. You can also mess it up like rock chips with a pin hammer, gouge it with a cut off wheel if you want parking lot damage.

Once you've got to the metal down under, soak it in vinegar for a few days, pull it out and let it dry. That will give you black pits and rust in the exposed area.

You'll have aged looking chrome. Not the same as the real deal but it wont be the center of attention on your flat black primer car if thats what you're trying to avoid.

And now, back to bellybuttons.....

2. OK I got some fatluckys seats that are just tooo nice. Does anyone know how to make them look shitty so I can get by without painting my car? I think if I take my pocket knife to them it just won't look right. maybe if i sit in them with a screw driver in my pocket or drop a cigarette ( dooby???) on them? :rolleyes:

3. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

You wouldn't happen to have a 52-54 Ford would ya? I have some "vintage" looking chrome I'd love to swap with ya! :)

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Oh, great, we have an enabler among us....

5. Wrap a rope around em and drag them down the street behind the truck. Then leave them outside for the winter, preferably where the dog pees and the cats sleep. Then go get some rats and let them feast on the innards.
    That ought to about do it.

6. That's Cuz he the "Real" Canadian Traditional Hot Rodder :D

7. pastlane

pastlane

Park it on the beach during low tide, leave it soak for a week or so, that way you patina the entire car in one simple step.

8. Thanks I knew there was a better way.

Hey will it make it more traditional if I drag them behind my Willys pickup or will the wife's late model do.

9. williebill

williebill

Paint them silver..preferably a bad silver,and make sure you put some runs in it.. Your stuff will look like shit,and nobody will ever suspect that there's good chrome under the paint..
    And everybody will be happy.......

10. Naw the paint will just flake off.

hey a new thing to say to someone, Hey flake off Jack. How cool is that.

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Some encouragement for the retarded guy. Yea!!!:D

12. williebill

williebill

Even better..then it'll look shittier over time...
    Or if you want to make sure nobody looks too close at your patina........
    paint it body color....

13. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

14. cederholm

cederholm

NO shit! That's what happened here,
    <---------

The grill was painted silver with all sorts of runs. It was a mess. I stripped it down and there was this nice patina. It'll stay that way until I can afford to chrome it. It's 100% better then that crappy paint job.

15. I miss the late 80s

But you really can't blame someone for wanting a new piece to blend in with the rest of it. You can't put age in a can and that's why vintage parts are so desirable.

Fake patina, and fake boobs will be around until "EVERYONE" thinks its not cool anymore.

16. Come on Beaner - it has to be the Willy's otherwise it just late model Fake Patina manufacturing. Cheesh

easy answer - don't buy new shiny shit for your old rusty beater.:rolleyes:

17. Yea that's true,
    but a real example for me was with a 98% bone stock and original 1976 Harley-Davidson FLH that needed some work. My Dad's bike since new and he prides in the fact that he has one that's never been changed. Needed a front bumper/ fender guard because the Chrome was flaking and rusting. That rusty piece was complety out of place on an otherwise perfect original and the rechromed piece was out of place but not as bad. It was a one year only item and no useable used or NOS could be found.

18. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Try soaking it in some coke.

My sister-in-law smokes it and you should see how quickly she's aged.

19. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Never heard anyone complain their chrome was TOO good! Thats a new one on me. When will this, my crappy stuff is crappier than your crappy stuff, just go away. I guess there are all kinds of stupid.