Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Discouraging Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Mar 25, 2021.

1. jazz1

jazz1

My rule...20 minutes each day! The 20 minutes can often lead to hour or more but its time and that is the most precious commodity. I’ve completed 3 frame offs, each took 3 years. Many days went 14 hours, well into the early morning hours.

2. If you really want it, make it happen, if you don't, sell it and get what you really want and build it.

3. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I agree with a lot of the comments here and I too find myself sometimes getting down about what has to be done and what I would like to be done. Like many have said that's why you see so many projects for sale on various sites. It's like the old saying goes it always looks different after it's in your own garage. Doing too much too soon is my problem and the aches and pains the next day makes it discouraging. I like a lot of the ideas of this thread where you set a goal or length of time and stick to it but that too is sometimes hard to do.

4. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

Hey steam doc
    Read most of the comments and there’s not a one that’s untrue
    I am in the same boat as all of you
    My motto “ keep on keeping on “
    Got a project that that turned into my finished daily driver un till the frame failed 6 or so yrs while I had started on a basket case
    into it better then ten yrs with the basket case and my daily has been waiting for 3 …..
    But the light is on , music is humming ,
    I just show up and let things take it’s course
    My hats off to all of you guys

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

You are doing great so far. Talking to like minding people here on the HAMB is the best motivator. If you have any questions- don't be afraid to ask.

Send me a PM if needed.

Roothawg likes this.
  6. Well, since he sold the project.......................

Roothawg likes this.
  7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I guess he decided after all the encouragement it was still too much to take on. Hopefully the next owner builds it.

Roothawg likes this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

You mentioned saving up for a welder.
    Here's a tip for you:
    WELDERS LIKE TO WELD.
    Just like PAINTERS LIKE TO PAINT.
    Most craftsmen like doing what they do best.

If the welder has to prep for welding - grinding rust, removing paint, chamfering corners, etc. you get charged shop rate for him to do these things that you can do at home, and the welder is happy when you bring him stuff that is ready for welding. So save yourself time and money by doing what you can do to make the folks that do the pro stuff you can't do more affordable. Don't be afraid to elicit their opinions on next steps on how to proceed. Second opinions from guys who have been there are valuable. Good luck with your project.

EDIT: I didn't read through all the posts to learn he sold out, but my advice still stands for someone in the same shoes.

The37Kid and NoSurf like this.
  9. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m burning as hard as I can to get my car driving. Once it’s driving I can relax and worry about the details as they bother me.

Don’t even worry about getting it “done”. It will happen eventually.

Too bad you sold buddy, you psyched yourself out...

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are no deadlines, unless you place them on the project yourself. Lots of little things can be dome while saving up for need parts. Finished & driving is a goal not everyone gets to.

11. glonco

glonco
    from monte lake

i was asked the other day is my truck was finished.. i laughed. i drive it all the time and tweek it all the time so i dont think it will ever be finished. Define finished ? Dont watch the tv shows that throw money at trucks there not realistic for a diy home build. Just pick away at it its worth it in the end.. My 2.5 cents.....