Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Differential expert's ! Weird pinion gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, Apr 21, 2016.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

As soon as I read weird failure I thought what you described that happened to a guy from work that had about the same year truck..I don't think he found the problem at the gear, just changed the axle and claimed it was ok..

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

How does a square gear get turned by (/) a triangle gear ? Impossible right ? Wrong. Jim, your continued hint's of the common denominator "3" is the clue that I failed to understand and why I was looking at my gears as a full on hunting gear set and not a partial as you clearly put up first. Then I failed once again when you threw the word "Partial" out there again. But why the term partial ? Why ? Well only simple physics's would explain how 3:25 gears can be viewed microscopically as a square pinion turning a triangle ring gear and why the variation of back lash. And where's just some of the math that proves this. 3.25 x 4 = 13. Now divide 39 (ring gear tooth count) by every third tooth on the pinion (12 tooth) which is exactly 90 degree's looks like this. 39/3=13. The number 13 now is a key clue here. Because if one where to take the time and turn the pinion so that the ring gear goes around exactly 13 times the one pinion tooth that set out on it's journey from home would go around the ring gear for 13 revolutions would now be back home to where is started. This is why "partial" is implied and how one fit's a square beg in a triangle shaped whole. "Math, a human invention to answer the unexplainable". Now I know what the answer is to why only 4 pinion teeth were making contact on a much broader level. Yes guy's I'm an over "Thinker" that's not satisfied with just a simple solution.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    henryj1951 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I love car problems that make us lose sleep

henryj1951 likes this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yawn...But I still think a bad pinion bearing...

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Funny you say that Jim. At 2 a.m. this morning driving back home from seeing family hrs. away and the girlfriend asleep next to me This is what started the whole chain recreation. Number's going thru my head. 4, 3, 13, 12 39, 13 39 What The ! 3.25 x 4 is 13 ! And that's how I went to bed and woke up with what I posted.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As I've said people believe what they think is right. Explain then your theory then when this unit I'm working has all new bearing's ?

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Weird gears in unison

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

New does not always prove good..You believe [people believe what they think is right] because they are new they are good...I believe that they can be bad even though they are new..Things happen...Did you check run out at 3rd brg or run out of ring gear? I believed a set of push rods were good because they came with the cam kit...Inside of the 20 minute cam break in the ball ends pounded flat; that could have been ugly...

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes. Any other question's I may answer for you ? You guy's are really funny. If you guy's could, you'd have me drink a cup of poison hemlock just as Meletus did to Socrates just because he didn't like what he heard.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like my 57-63 Pontiacs. 2.56's thru 5.13's...

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Today I will be numbering 13 teeth on the ring gear with numbers 1-13 and place the pinion marking into each of those numbers with the original pinion shim back in place. This will make for a basic approach to a what would be termed as applied science. I'll report back soon enough.

12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

PRINT and hang on MANCAVE wall...

NON.HUNTING GEAR SET
    In a non-hunting type gear set, any
    one pinion gear tooth comes into contact
    with only a few ring gear teeth.
    In this type, only one revolution of
    the ring gear is required to make all
    possible tooth contact combinations.

HUNTING GEAR SET
    In a hunting-type gear set, anyone
    pinion gear tooth comes into contact
    with all drive gear teeth. In this type,
    several revolutions of the ring gear
    are required to make all possible gear
    combinations

PARTIAL NON.HUNTING
    GEAR SET
    In a partial non-hunting type gea
    set, anyone pinion tooth comes into
    contact with only part of the ring
    gear teeth, but more than one revolution
    of the ring gear is required to
    make all possible gear tooth combinations.
    Tooth to tooth pattern uniformity
    will usually be in between the hunting
    and the non-hunting patterns.
    Partial non-hunting gear set patterns
    will usually be less uniform than
    hunting gear set patterns, but more
    uniform than non-hunting gear set
    patterns.

:cool:

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's all well and good but there are some that do not understand what all that means.

henryj1951 likes this.
  14. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yup. Like I told my little bro after he built his Currie/Mosier? 9" (Camaro LS3)... Its stronger than my Pontiac 9.3 because its ALL aftermarket fixed :)

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Here's what I've found out so far this morning before taking anything apart. It show's how theory vs applied theory differ's. I had stated before that my math said there would be 13 turn's of the ring gear so the pinion tooth would be back to home. Wrong ! It's ring gear 4 turns and pinion 13 turns. This is interesting because my original question was why are there 4 teeth that are proud on my pinion. This would also lead away from any bearing issue's doing this.

henryj1951 likes this.
  16. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

So you have to take the best average of the pattern when setting backlash. And look at the pattern in between the partial non hunting gears for it. Bit confusing but it works if those teeth have a slightly different cut on them.

henryj1951 likes this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That about sums it up in a nut shell on what I have to do now. Had I known what Jim shared at the beginning of this thread I would have been done a long time ago.

18. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

in addition to and
    so
    a
    http://www.mustang.org.au/technicals/66/4 - rear axle.pdf

19. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Think of the setup as two triangles... one just sideways... if you try to push one triangle too far forward into its triangle hole it gets pinched and cant make it through... set it back and its free. Thats how i think of it because they are curved teeth. It would be easier if the teeth were straight on straight but they would be weak. Think the arc of the teeth make them push and pull much stronger. Anyways you cant shim it side to side only front to back right?

Johnny Gee and pitman like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Your on the right track about high's and low's as the gears rotate however this is a square turning a triangle (exaggerated of coarse). There shouldn't be any shimming needed other than putting back the original pinion shim back. Just find the sweet spot out of 13 position's and set the backlash.

21. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Oh yeah! I meant backlash!!! I just forgot the term on the spot.
    You got this one licked though.
    Is your avatar pic the car your working on?

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No. It still has it's original early 8.2 in it. The 9" is for my girlfriends 32 Ford pick up which all ready had a 9" housing in it before I got to it.

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The final score is in Guy's. Some Monday's just are not worth getting up for sometimes. But not this Monday ! Complete luck was in my favor finally. I found the darn mark on the ring gear that seemed to not be there. I had all ready numbered 9 valleys on the ring gear and as I went to write 10 my flash light caught a little glimpse of a shiny spot where I was going to write. At first it looked like a nick and as I looked closer there was another one on the other corner of the stair step cut of the ring. "No way ! I picked the right 3rd of the ring to number in my hopes to find home" I thought. Then it got even better because they won't nick's at all. They were radius'd like if a fine grit 4" cut off wheel had made them but to damn small, no to f'n tiny for ageing eye's to see. The rest as you've all probably gathered by now is that everything fell into place. And it did. After putting back the original pinion shim I now can hear all the pinion teeth rub against the ring gears teeth with no lube. Did a back lash check and adjustment followed by a pattern check. All good. End of story. One last note. No body questioned how much shim I used to get all the teeth to mesh last week. I say this because I knew I was on the wrong approach of correction and I needed to find the right fix. Anyone care to tell the class what happen's when the pinion is shimmed to far away from the ring gear ? Hint, "coast".

24. squirrel

squirrel

so, you found the timing marks?

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sure did Jim. Thanks for being the stand back and watch where he goes type of teacher. I've never liked pushy know it all's as you've probably gathered by now.

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

27. squirrel

squirrel

28. squirrel

squirrel

I like his safe cracking exploits.

Johnny Gee likes this.