Register now to get rid of these ads!

Different wayes to learn about Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ScuubaSteeve, Aug 20, 2012.

1. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Being a female, I probably learned the hard and long way, by myself. Seeing as my dad split by the time I was 5 and my brother wasn't much help I had to learn by trial and error. And believe me there were many errors. When I was 15 I saved my monies and bought a POS 74 mustang from an old lady, it ran but barely. Then I T-boned somebody in a snowstorm that first year and bought another 74 parts car, but it seems my brother wasn't any more knowledgable than I and eventually they both went to the scrap guy. Then just 10 yrs ago I set my Blazer on fire and after the fire engine left it too went to the scrap guy.
    I have made progress over the years and am know switching out the trans on my fairlane. :D Although it's amazing the things I still don't know. Like I can swap out starters/alts/etc with ease, but am just going to attempt my first brake job. It is amazing the stuff you can learn on the internet or in books, the fairlane trans for instance, just the past Feb, I didn't even know the inner workings of a trans and now look with all your help and the internet and you tube, I am doing it myself.

2. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Got anymore popcorn? :D

3. Met a guy on the weekend who said he learnt everything from youtube... different strokes for different folks

4. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Join a club, earn your stripes by being the gofer and take it all on board. Every tradesman has to be the apprentice for a few years.

5. 41will

41will
    from Hanover PA

You can't really learn to work on a car from a dvd. I mean it can give you an idea. But nothing is going to replicate actual experiance with things.

I'm a big fan of "You buy something and learn as you go" whether that's top chopping or just putting in brake pads. Going to shows and talking with car owners, or even fellow car guys if you see a car somewhere in your town is a good way to get a bit of education. Always remember that everyone that's done anything on a car, at some point, didn't know how to do what they did.