Register now to get rid of these ads!

Differences in roadster and coupe frames?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn-core, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Barn-core

Barn-core

So what I've got is a Model A frame to which I am putting a '28-'29 roadster body on. My question is with the roadster body being so much shorter, was there any difference in the frames, or mounting locations, or do I just end up with more room to mount the motor?

2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

It's the same frame and all the same Dims:D

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Model A passenger car and commercial(1/4ton pickup/panel/SW/SD) frames are all the same except for certain non-dimensional differences having to do with brakes, body mounts, radiator mounting, etc.
    The wheelbase of all Model As is the same.
    The firewalls ALL are in the same place in reference to the frame.
    The wheelwells are ALL in the same place in reference to the frame.

4. Canuck

Canuck

Front crossmembers are different between 28/29 and 30/31, as far as radiator mounting.

A 30/31 can be used for a 28/29 by spacing the rad up 7/16. But a 28/29 frame can't be used for a 30/31 with a stock rad, as the rad will be too high.

Canuck

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I don't know about that? I just checked my 29 roadster and my 31 Vicky and both are the same looking at them. I know the AR is the odd ball were the crossmember goes up and mounts the engine. Were are you getting your info?

6. alchemy

alchemy

The crossmember has a pad area for the radiator to sit on. It might be hard to spot the difference in an assembled car.

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Yep both assembled and both have walker rad in place. Also both sitting on the crossmember pads. This place is great learn something everyday!:D
    Thanks and I stand corrected Canuck.

8. Barn-core

Barn-core

OK, my bad, I just assumed with the shorter door openings, the roadster body was shorter. I guess the difference is made up in the quarter panels?

9. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

As a general rule roadster and coupes rear panels extend back futher. Sedan and touring have a shorter backend that tucks inward. Hope this gives a better idea of what is going on. Frames on the A are all about the same with only minor differences. ie mounting holes, AR (early 28), and 4dr. Should not be a problem.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009